Help with Elk?

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
CodyBiffel3629

Help with Elk?

Post by CodyBiffel3629 »

I'd greatly appreciate it if any vets out there could share some wisdom with me as to how to stalk and harvest a Roosevelt Elk.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: Help with Elk?

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Well, first off make sure you have a permitted weapon for them, such as a bow, .300, etc. If you do not already have it, make sure you buy the Elk Bugle. Whitehart Island, Settler's Creek, and Redfeather Falls all have Elk on them. We'll use Redfeather Falls. Start at Darkwood Lodge, and basically follow the roads N, and if nothing go even further N off the trail. This is all prime elk country. You will hear or see them for sure. When you do hear a bugle, locate it on your HunterMate, bring up your bugle and call back. Find an ambush point in the direction they are approaching (make sure you have Scent Eliminator on) and bugle maybe every 2-3 minutes. Eventually, you'll get em in. Take care to really look around though. Sometimes, the first bull you see is not alone, and you don't wanna shoot a mediocre bull if there is a really large one in the herd. Good luck!
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

how to hunt them is fairly simple.....travel crouched position always,...watch the falling leaves for wind direction..use the call to answer their call....everything that is sold in Doc's outfitter's will help you in the hunt...calls, scent's, scent eliminator, camo clothing, tree stands, blinds and so on. :D

HEY, just noticed,.....we're almost neighbors.... :lol:
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

BucksNBuffalo covered this pretty well.

The only thing I could add is a few maps for you to check for where to find them, in case you want to try different places.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
RangerV1
Outfitter

Post by RangerV1 »

Hey Cody, first don't go east in RFF, lol. Do what BuckN said and you'll be alright.

Also I see your in Hurst. I went to HJH and lived in hurst for 15 years. You should check out the White Out site in my sig, drop in and say hello! :)
good luck with the elk. Just takes patience and determination.
Ononemi
Outfitter

Post by Ononemi »

RangerV1 wrote:Hey Cody, first don't go east in RFF, lol. Do what BuckN said and you'll be alright.

Also I see your in Hurst. I went to HJH and lived in hurst for 15 years. You should check out the White Out site in my sig, drop in and say hello! :)
Don't go east in rff? ^.-
That's where I find packs of Elks every time I spawn at Darkwood Lodge!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Ononemi wrote:
RangerV1 wrote:Hey Cody, first don't go east in RFF, lol. Do what BuckN said and you'll be alright.

Don't go east in rff? ^.-
That's where I find packs of Elks every time I spawn at Darkwood Lodge!
I think Ranger means don't go far east in RFF, like east of Darkwood. At Darkwood there is many, but very few to none towards the waterfalls. Bear were shot out there as well, but if you are out for a full bag you will avoid this area.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
RangerV1
Outfitter

Post by RangerV1 »

thank you Hoo, that is what I meant. sorry Ononemi for that.
Ononemi
Outfitter

Post by Ononemi »

RangerV1 wrote:thank you Hoo, that is what I meant. sorry Ononemi for that.
Apology accepted! ;D
cabelam
Outfitter

Post by cabelam »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Well, first off make sure you have a permitted weapon for them, such as a bow, .300, etc. If you do not already have it, make sure you buy the Elk Bugle. Whitehart Island, Settler's Creek, and Redfeather Falls all have Elk on them. We'll use Redfeather Falls. Start at Darkwood Lodge, and basically follow the roads N, and if nothing go even further N off the trail. This is all prime elk country. You will hear or see them for sure. When you do hear a bugle, locate it on your HunterMate, bring up your bugle and call back. Find an ambush point in the direction they are approaching (make sure you have Scent Eliminator on) and bugle maybe every 2-3 minutes. Eventually, you'll get em in. Take care to really look around though. Sometimes, the first bull you see is not alone, and you don't wanna shoot a mediocre bull if there is a really large one in the herd. Good luck!
I do exactly this but I start at 5 in the morning. Elk look like white ghosts running through the woods.

Return to “Fan Guides”