HooCairs' Guide to Long Range Shooting

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: HooCairs' Guide to Long Range Shooting

Post by HooCairs »

This guide is now in the Wiki and will be updated there: http://www.thehunterwiki.com/index.php? ... e_Shooting
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Chelydra

Post by Chelydra »

Will the rendering distance get patched in the future? Animals disappearing in a clear line of sight is kind of wrong when using a decent GPU, this kinda feels like those of us that invest in our rigs are doomed to suffer because some people are cheap and use crappy computers.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Chelydra wrote:Will the rendering distance get patched in the future? Animals disappearing in a clear line of sight is kind of wrong when using a decent GPU, this kinda feels like those of us that invest in our rigs are doomed to suffer because some people are cheap and use crappy computers.
Spoiler:
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

BuiuRei wrote:
Chelydra wrote:Will the rendering distance get patched in the future? Animals disappearing in a clear line of sight is kind of wrong when using a decent GPU, this kinda feels like those of us that invest in our rigs are doomed to suffer because some people are cheap and use crappy computers.
ROFL! :lol:
Spoiler:
Chelydra

Post by Chelydra »

The rendering distance is actually really bad for a game of this kind, like grass disappearing while not looking through the binoculars or a scope, and yes i have everything on max.
NASTY

Post by NASTY »

What yellow circles?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Long Range Shooting (and Whitetail Marksman comp)

Post by HooCairs »

Re-added pics based on request here. This was done when 220m was max distance, and no fast traveling to tents was possible.

How to shoot +265m...
This part was added to the guide after season 8, in which I managed to do a couple of the longest shots again. I was shooting from...well, let me show you! Available for everyone to try. :)

This was the longest shot of season 8, the longest shot ever in the game ever so far.

The method I am going to explain can be applied to Elk, Whitetail Deer and Feral Hogs. Elk and WT appear in the area, Hogs have to be lured from further away. In case Bears can be attracted in the future, it might also work for them. Regardless of species, we will just call it the "animal" from here forward, to keep it simple. Do not pay too much attention to the time on the Huntermate, the pictures are not all from the same attempt.

Overview

Getting ready
When you start your hunt, these things are important:
  • Start your hunt at 9am or 10am. The light is good, and at this time of the day the wind is mild. You will see later why this is important.
  • Start your hunt on a clear day. If you get rain in the worst moment, you will not see the animal in the target spot.
  • Turn Scope Optimization off if your computer allows it. This will give you a sharper view of the target area.
  • It might make sense to place a tent in the area if you plan to spend some time here. Guess if I have one here.
Luring to start area
Lure the animal to the start area. It will start its "walk of death" from here. Do not not go too far west, as you will have trouble seeing the animal walk to the target spot. Do not go too far east, as you might spook it when you go to the top. Once you know the animal is approaching the start area, walk to the target area.

Note: Feral hogs tend to be slow, so consider luring them a bit closer to the target area, maybe 50m closer.

Luring to target area
Wait for a call from the animal in the start area to make sure you know it has arrived and is "ready". Call and/or use spray in the target area. I always do both. Feel free to experiment where to spray or call from, but you will be astonished how exact you need to be.

Way to the top
This is the fastest way I know of. You might have to crouch parts of it in order not to spook the animal.

On your walk up the hill you should see your animal walk towards the target area. Over time you will get a feeling for the timing, but in general you have enough time to go up. Only run at the very top of the hill.

Shooting spot
It took me ages to realize where the competition had started to shoot from. There is a slanted tree that adds to the height difference between you and the animal.

Walk up the tree, almost to the top. Lay down and move to the left.

Look for this hole in the branches.

This is the hardest part now! Move around until you can see through the hole to the target spot. Wind picks up at around noon. If the wind gets too strong, branches will cover your view and you might have to start over. Also, you might fall down from the tree, but you can run up and try again. Running will not spook the animals from here.

This is what you need to see in the end.

Wait until the animal arrives at the target spot. Shoot only when it stands still. Aim for the head to gain a couple more centimeters. You can easily do head shots even from this distance. Go down and harvest.

One last tip: In case you find an even better spot on the tree, or with the treestand, or where ever, make sure to hide your secret! Male animals can be tracked. Before you harvest a male animal, push it away to another location, 30-40 meters. This way the competition cannot find out where you shoot your animals! ;)

There you go! No rocket science. Feel free to play with the various parameters. Let's see who is on top at the end of the season!

Again, a movie would be cool. Maybe someone can make a movie for all of us, would be fantastic!

And now, let those bullets flyyyyyyyyy...! :D
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Thank you for this excellent guide Hoo! :)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Just arcade gaming. Unless you can show me one of these magic trees in real life.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

OldMtnMan wrote:Just arcade gaming. Unless you can show me one of these magic trees in real life.
Is this real life to you? Does real life use dx9?
You're way, way too insufferable, old man...
Spoiler:

Return to “Fan Guides”