User guide: How to use scent and call attractors

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: User guide: How to use scent and call attractors

Post by HooCairs »

prophet wrote:
MonacoSteve wrote:Thanks, mates, I'm glad that you like my "little" guide. If it is helpful for many, maybe a moderator wants to make it sticky for a while? ;)
mud074 wrote:
Also, for me calls seem to wear off after about 4 minutes.
Yes, if you mean real time minutes, (4 real time minutes = 8 in-game minutes) this is about the time a turkey box call stays effective. As I said, this is species-specific. A deer calls last ca. 6 minutes (12 in-game minutes). The elk call lasts even a little longer, but I did not measure this one precisely so far.

wiki says: deer - long, turkey - averrage, elk - short. So, elk shorter than turkey (4-6min) or longer than deer (14-15min)?
Never measured any times but Elk will only follow a call for 2-3 minutes, then turn around. A deer is lured much longer before using interest.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

prophet wrote:thank you so much, very helpful, one more point to clarify... scents have effective radius about 150m, callers 220m, am i right?
You are right.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

Luring antlered species:
A single call lasts ca. 11 game minutes for small and medium-sized deer (roe, whitetail, blacktail, mule). It lasts shorter for elk (ca. game 4 mins), and very short only (ca. 2 game mins) for moose!

Turkey I never checked latey; effect could be a little longer than elk.

Note that also pigs (feral and wild) and dogs (yote, fox) can be acoustically lured; in my experience the call effect is clearly shorter than 11 min for pigs, but pretty much exactly 11 min for dogs.

So, the system has become a little more complicated and differentiated over time.
Macagod
Hunter

Post by Macagod »

Thanks MonacoSteve, this thread has helped me out in a lot of hunts. Much appreciated.
Vanish
English Wiki Team

Post by Vanish »

I could really use some strategy ideas with scents. In my experience, the caller has been much more effective due to the extra range. If I hear an animal call on the HM, I'll stalk toward it a bit, give a call, and then flank the animal. Haven't really had that strategy fail. I have purchased a scent pack but haven't really found a good way to employ them. If I am sitting in a GB or Tower, the scent doesn't work as well either since it won't reach the edge of the HM, so it won't pull in animals I hadn't been able to spot.

Ideas? I know some people love scents but I just don't get it!
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Scents work great when duration of attraction to a remote place distant from the current location of the player character is necessary.
This becomes especially valuable for species that roam in packs and their attention is lost fast, like elks. And with short ranged weapons.

If you call, the females will come in early and you can't call again from that spot (if you moved away) as you would spook the cows then. But if you don't call again, the big bull will loose his interest and not come any closer. That's when a scent is useful.
Best strategy: go to the point you want to attract the animal to, call and spray after each other. Then go to your hiding place.

The call will make the animals come in from the distance and the scent will maintain the attraction. You can silently hide, wait and pick your trophy.

I have to admit I also use the scents rarely, but they have their uses.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Vanish
English Wiki Team

Post by Vanish »

Knut, that's some great advice, especially for elk. Makes a lot of sense to me there!
evanr1992

Post by evanr1992 »

Calls work great on this game thats what i do either walking slowly or tree stand
Jwam

Post by Jwam »

Thank you very much for this great tutorial!
Accurize2
Tracker

Post by Accurize2 »

Knut wrote:Scents work great when duration of attraction to a remote place distant from the current location of the player character is necessary.
This becomes especially valuable for species that roam in packs and their attention is lost fast, like elks. And with short ranged weapons.

If you call, the females will come in early and you can't call again from that spot (if you moved away) as you would spook the cows then. But if you don't call again, the big bull will loose his interest and not come any closer. That's when a scent is useful.
Best strategy: go to the point you want to attract the animal to, call and spray after each other. Then go to your hiding place.

The call will make the animals come in from the distance and the scent will maintain the attraction. You can silently hide, wait and pick your trophy.

I have to admit I also use the scents rarely, but they have their uses.
Well said Knut. This is exactly how I use both scents and calls! I use the call to get the target heading towards me. And I place the scent where I want the target and lackies to congregate. This helps me bring in the massive buck, while not having the smaller bucks or does walk on top of me. Since I usually bow hunt, I put my scent spray out about 20 meters from my position and stay out of the way of the incoming foot traffic.

So for me the rule is:

Calls pull them, scents place them.

Return to “Fan Guides”