User guide: How to use scent and call attractors

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
akujiproxy

Re: User guide: How to use scent and call attractors

Post by akujiproxy »

Great guide, though it leaves me with one question.

When having tracked an animal and having a visual on it do you then proceed to set up your treestand or blind?
Because the fade out suggests that time passes while doing so, thus losing your prey in the process..

Please clarify.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

Mashuu wrote:Take loggers point. Do I want to spray the scent (when do I spray?) then climb into the wood tower and wait.
No, you normally do not use it "blind". For most successful application, you first make sure that a target animal is (a) within reach of the scent or (b) can be brought within reach (e.g. by using a caller first) in due time. In any case, you usually set up a scent trap only if you know that an animal (or several animals) is in fact able to react to it, either because you have heard it calling itself (the most common case) or because you even see it in the distance but need it closer for a kill.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

akujiproxy wrote:Great guide, though it leaves me with one question.

When having tracked an animal and having a visual on it do you then proceed to set up your treestand or blind?
Because the fade out suggests that time passes while doing so, thus losing your prey in the process..

Please clarify.
Setting up a stand or blind only takes a few seconds. You will not lose the animal in the process. Just be aware that setting up or dismantling stands has a spook radius of 100m. Make sure the animal is further away.

However if you have visual on it just blast it away. :mrgreen:
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Stollen
Scout

Post by Stollen »

Is everything in this guide still up to date? :)
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

Stollen wrote:Is everything in this guide still up to date? :)
I would dare to say, yes, most of it at least. I have not included baiting (which works in some way similar to a scent attractor) because that did not exist at the time I wrote my guide, but as far as the effects of the usual callers and scents is concerned, the basic way how they work and can be used is still as described above.
Stollen
Scout

Post by Stollen »

MonacoSteve wrote:
Stollen wrote:Is everything in this guide still up to date? :)
I would dare to say, yes, most of it at least. I have not included baiting (which works in some way similar to a scent attractor) because that did not exist at the time I wrote my guide, but as far as the effects of the usual callers and scents is concerned, the basic way how they work and can be used is still as described above.
Neat! Thank you so much for putting this together :)
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Is there any list on what callers scare what animals? I was spotting bears and he got really skittish when I ran a moose call. Though he only ran for like 15 metres so perhaps not really spooked but he obviously reacted to it.

Thinking if it´s a wrong idea to make the hog call, make the deer call, make the elk call and what not in succession. I suppose you shouldn´t do coyote calls if you are looking for deer more. And do deer calls always spook previously spooked deers? As that in they will run as soon as they here it not just ignore the call? If you track a wounded animal or one that got spooked do you ever use the deer caller again until you got it or forgot about it?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

knott wrote:Is there any list on what callers scare what animals?
No caller scares any animal. Here is a list on what callers ATTRACT what animals:
http://www.thehunterwiki.com/index.php? ... r_Overview
knott wrote:I was spotting bears and he got really skittish when I ran a moose call. Though he only ran for like 15 metres so perhaps not really spooked but he obviously reacted to it.
By design animals do not react to callers that are not for them.
knott wrote:Thinking if it´s a wrong idea to make the hog call, make the deer call, make the elk call and what not in succession. I suppose you shouldn´t do coyote calls if you are looking for deer more.
You can use multiple different calls and scent sprays and animals will react, regardless of other species in the area.
knott wrote:And do deer calls always spook previously spooked deers? As that in they will run as soon as they here it not just ignore the call?
No. Callers do not change the time an animal needs to recover from the stress mode.
knott wrote:If you track a wounded animal or one that got spooked do you ever use the deer caller again until you got it or forgot about it?
You can keep using the caller. Actually sometimes it is important to use it. When a wild boar or a red deer spooks, they roam very fast afterwards and it is very hard to catch up when crouching. So once you get back close and you have a solid circle on the Huntermate for a track, it is easier to call and wait than to continue to stalk. Stalking can continue to spook animals if they spot your movements, while you can just lie quiet after you called them.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
prophet

Post by prophet »

thank you so much, very helpful, one more point to clarify... scents have effective radius about 150m, callers 220m, am i right?
prophet

Post by prophet »

MonacoSteve wrote:Thanks, mates, I'm glad that you like my "little" guide. If it is helpful for many, maybe a moderator wants to make it sticky for a while? ;)
mud074 wrote:
Also, for me calls seem to wear off after about 4 minutes.
Yes, if you mean real time minutes, (4 real time minutes = 8 in-game minutes) this is about the time a turkey box call stays effective. As I said, this is species-specific. A deer calls last ca. 6 minutes (12 in-game minutes). The elk call lasts even a little longer, but I did not measure this one precisely so far.

wiki says: deer - long, turkey - averrage, elk - short. So, elk shorter than turkey (4-6min) or longer than deer (14-15min)?

Return to “Fan Guides”