A handful of simple rules for a successful hunt (update)

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
BCKidd

Re: A handful of simple rules for a successful hunt (update)

Post by BCKidd »

I read the old one, before seeing this. Again, awesome info and tips. Good stuff! Thnx man.

BCKidd

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
7STW
Outfitter

Post by 7STW »

Steve: Fine job.

I would just add one addendum which follows:

Part of hunting and part of this game is learning to deal with unseen or unwanted animals.This can happen frequently.
So calling or using scent lures from the exact location where you intend to shoot can be dangerous and back fire.Set up your calling/scent lures upwind or at least cross wind and scout your intended shooting location first.Then use the calls/lures at least 25 paces away (40 is better if available)...make your calls and then do not call again.

In this way, scrub males that may not be disireable will be much less likely to detect you and spook the better males before they present a shot.Likewise, females will be drawn directly to the calling/scent lure location and hopefully not "bust" your hunt.

Any calls or scents that originate from your shooting location will bring all animals of that species right to your location...upping the odds considerably against seeing bigger males.Bigger males tend to hang back and are much more wary generally speaking.Of course, any trigger happy shooting of lesser males or females about guarantees you will never see the bigger males...or at best their south end heading north.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

A handful of simple rules for a successful hunt (update)

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

7STW wrote:Steve: Fine job.

Part of hunting and part of this game is learning to deal with unseen or unwanted animals.This can happen frequently.
So calling or using scent lures from the exact location where you intend to shoot can be dangerous and back fire.Set up your calling/scent lures upwind or at least cross wind and scout your intended shooting location first.Then use the calls/lures at least 25 paces away (40 is better if available)...make your calls and then do not call again.

In this way, scrub males that may not be disireable will be much less likely to detect you and spook the better males before they present a shot.Likewise, females will be drawn directly to the calling/scent lure location and hopefully not "bust" your hunt.

Any calls or scents that originate from your shooting location will bring all animals of that species right to your location...upping the odds considerably against seeing bigger males.Bigger males tend to hang back and are much more wary generally speaking.Of course, any trigger happy shooting of lesser males or females about guarantees you will never see the bigger males...or at best their south end heading north.
+1. Very important point there, 7, about the use of scents.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

7STW wrote:Steve: Fine job.

Good point! I am happy to integrate your suggestion, thanks for it. OP updated.
A1n4n0o4
Outfitter

Post by A1n4n0o4 »

These are great tips, Steve, thanks :)
greenotter

Post by greenotter »

Just reread your guide.Very clearly written with excellent advice. It makes even more sense now that I have a little experience. Thank you.
HappyHunter86

Post by HappyHunter86 »

Thanks a lot for this great guide. It does help a lot.

Just one question for the just updated section:
Does it attract animals if another animal from the same species makes a call?
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

HappyHunter86 wrote:Does it attract animals if another animal from the same species makes a call?
No, it does not, the animals do not hear each other.
Extacide
Tracker

Post by Extacide »

A couple suggestions:

When you've tracked an animal whom is within a forest/behind a hill/behind a giant row of bushes/concealed from view, I've come to find it's much more likely to guarentee a kill to NOT call/lure, and instead slowly breach the obstacle for a clear line of sight. Calling, not seeing a buck walk over and getting impatient only leads to me walking over the hill/into the bush to find im face to face with the buck. Or, he doesn't come at all and with no line of sight you might be waiting for minutes and he's long gone- possibly even spooked without your knowledge. Or the perfect scenario where he's out of your view, you call, and he b-lines in your direction which only happens for me about 60% of the time. I feel like keeping a clear line of sight on your prey at all times is pretty important.

Lastly on placing your shot, i'd add it's never worth it to take your shot while the animal is partially concealed from below a hill or behind several trees. I've been screwed out of a few shots that magically don't hit. Others are difficult to tell when, for example, a doe is far away concealed behind a few brown colored trees. The outline appearing from behind trees obscures where the doe's body really is. Or where the buck's chest is as he climbs over a grey rock. It's just one extra time saver that'll help you make 1 more shot out of 100 that you might have missed.
Blind Mole
Outfitter

Post by Blind Mole »

MonacoSteve wrote: [*] Wisely chose your hunting route.
Avoid entering areas with dense wood and brush. The animals roam everywhere and have no preferences for certain area types. Their very random distribution also ensures that there are no particular “hot spots” for big trophies.
this writen in year 2008... this is still true? or game had huge changes on this in past 4 years?
Im hunting about 3 weeks here, and after some practics think this guide need to edit :)
Im right?

Return to “Fan Guides”