Greetings from Germany and a few questions

Say hello to the rest of the community here. Start a thread and tell us a little about yourself.
harwui

Greetings from Germany and a few questions

Post by harwui »

Hey there,

after playing CotW a lot i wanted to hunt some small game and tried classic.

My first pheasant hunt with guest access was great, so i now want to get some equipment for bird hunting.

What is the best starting equipment?
I'm consider to buy the duck hunt steam pack and the wayfarer pack if the premium month stack. That should give me two shotguns, one blind and tent and a few decoys and caller to start hunting ducks and pheasant.
Later on i would get more decoys and caller and then goose hunting stuff.

Or is there a better starting equipment in this price range?
\m/
Outfitter

Re: Greetings from Germany and a few questions

Post by \m/ »

Welcome,

take a look at the trailrunner bundle ..and i would also buy the caller-bundle. Lots of equip and weapons, and one year membership. If buying direct from the website thehunter.com you should get the mobile towers as a little gift.
Now offline. Forever.
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

Hi and welcome aboard harwui :)
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Welcome to the forums and the game!

First things first, yes, memberships do stack. For example, if you buy a bundle with 3 months membership and a bundle with 6 months membership, you will have 9 months of membership total. I don't believe there is a limit to how much membership time you can stack, but someone else might need to confirm this.

Waterfowl hunting is a bit difficult to get started on if you're working from scratch. If you bought -everything- you would -need- to have a full duck and goose setup from the get-go, you're looking at a pretty decent pricetag (About $80 USD). And that pricetag doesn't even include a new shotgun, a dog if you'd like one, or any membership time. The duck bundle isn't bad by any means, it will get you the 20ga shotgun, 4 decoys, the 2 most important calls, a blind and some camo (although the camo doesn't really matter if you use the blind) all in addition to 3 months of membership. It's definitely a starting point if you don't want to invest too much into the game until you're sure you really like it (which I'm sure you will, bird hunting in this game is great, as well as the overwhelming number of big game animals you'll be permitted to hunt!)

But... I'm going to recommend the more expensive route. If you like the game enough to stay with us and plan to add more equipment later on anyway, you're best bet is to buy some bundles from the get-go as that'll save you money in the long run if you plan to stay.

First, you should give waterfowl hunting a try to make sure you like it before you invest anything. You could use GMs (free in-game currency) to buy a temporary permit for goose or mallards then find a game with a host who has large setups (I would gladly host a duck or goose game for you if you have any trouble finding a game, which you shouldn't) so that you can give it a try.

Assuming you enjoy yourself on those hunts, you should invest in a Trailrunner bundle. This is the best deal the game has to offer, with 12 months of membership, several firearms, and a couple of other goodies. It doesn't really have much for bird hunting (except the 12 ga pump which is a great gun) but if you plan to hunt any big game at all, it is an awesome start to collecting some weapons. The most important element of it though is that 12 months of membership, which will allow you to hunt on other people's servers who do have bird setups. Others host bird hunts quite often, take advantage of those opportunities!

At this point, you now have a year where you can hunt everything. So you can start building your bird setups. I recommend the Crazy Caller Bundle as another early investment as it will give you every animal call in the game. If you're going to buy decoys, either wait for sales (uncommon, could be a long wait) or buy decoy bundles. A full set of decoys at once can be expensive, but cheaper than buying all the decoys individually. Once you have the calls and decoys, you'll just need to get a couple blinds and you'll be good to go! Obviously you can spread out to purchases of the calls, decoys and blinds as needed if you do it this way. Just know that as long as you have a membership, you can usually find or request a bird hunt, so a decent membership bundle is always going to be a good investment.

No matter what route you take, good luck and have fun!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Welcome to the community harwui :)

Get the 10GA shotgun, the best one around. Best meaning you will get the most birds, even distant ones.

For duck hunting watch some Youtube videos to understand how it works and what it takes. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Hello and welcome to the forum :)
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Welcome :) Beers are in the fridge :D
harwui

Post by harwui »

Thank you for the good advice.

I tested a lot and decided to keep my hunting styles separated between the two games.
Big Game hunting with rifles and bows -> CotW (yeah I still believe in CotW and Hirschfelden forest looks so amazing while hunting red deer)
Small Game and crossbows → Classic

I now got the duck hunt pack, crazy callers, some random equipment and a nice crossbow.
My waterfowl setup needs a few more decoys to finish but attracts enough birds to be busy.

On my first hunt to test the new equipment I went for Whitetailed Ptarmigans. I got a few and a nice elk bull with the crossbow.

Next I need a dog as I had some trouble finding the downed birds. A few more decoys and tents and I'm happy. The goose setup has to wait for the next sale.

Thanks again. This game has a great community
Dawn
Spotter

Post by Dawn »

welcome :D

Return to “New Player Introductions”