Montana wild venison amounts

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Montana wild venison amounts

Post by Dirtclod »

This is simply awsome! 10 million lbs per year of sustainable wild venison. :)

https://elknetwork.com/montanans-love-their-wild-game/
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Montana wild venison amounts

Post by Fletchette »

Yep, I have one in the freezer. :P ....Although I think his math is a bit "generous". I just checked the Montana Fish&Wildlife website and the total number of elk harvested in 2016 was 24,532. So using rough math, 10 million divided by 25,000 is 400 lbs of usable meat per elk. That's WAY high, especially considering that the 24,532 elk consisted of 11089 bulls, 12,526 cows, and 917 calves. It takes a BIG bull to get more than 300 lbs of boned meat, with 250 being a good rough average for bulls. For cows the average is probably closer to 150, and 100 for a calf. So on average, and still being a bit generous, I'd guess that 200 lbs per elk would have been closer to reality. So 5 million pounds is probably a better estimate, IMO.

Still, 5,000,000 lbs is a lot of elk meat considering there are only about 1 million people in Montana (a state about the same size as Germany). Although nearly 5000 of the 25,000 elk were harvested by non-residents like me... :D
Personal Bests...
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

At no point do they speak about 10 million pounds of elk meat. The numbers mentioned are:
5 Million pounds big game meat
10 million pounds wild meat per season

He calculated with 245 lbs per elk, 60 per deer and 39 per antilope, the numbers are explained in the video ;)

The really mean thing is this tasty looking venison steak they're grilling while talking about it :D :D
Now I'm hungry
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Knut wrote:At no point do they speak about 10 million pounds of elk meat. The numbers mentioned are:
5 Million pounds big game meat
10 million pounds wild meat per season

He calculated with 245 lbs per elk, 60 per deer and 39 per antilope, the numbers are explained in the video ;)

The really mean thing is this tasty looking venison steak they're grilling while talking about it :D :D
Now I'm hungry
Oops...I didn't watch the video, just read the article. I think I was thrown off by the fact that the website is called, "The Elk Network", so I assumed they were talking about elk. Sure, adding in deer and antelope probably puts the number nearer to 10 million. Although I still think 245 lbs per elk is high, considering that a bit over half of the elk harvested are cows and calves.
Personal Bests...
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

But his calculation would be 18800 elk taken (if calculated backwards), while your numbers are 24000. So I guess the 5 million lbs elk meat are not too far off
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

Knut wrote:The really mean thing is this tasty looking venison steak they're grilling while talking about it :D :D
Now I'm hungry
That got me too! :lol:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”