First set of flies

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
deerman30
Tracker

First set of flies

Post by deerman30 »

So recently, I got a fly-tying hobby. It is exciting to just tie everything to a hook with a thread. And with these ones, it might look like that I'm off to a good start. :D

2 days earlier, I made a dry fly that resembles a species of mosquito.

Just now, I made four more of the same things.

If I'm not too busy and the conditions are right, I might just go out and test this fly out on some bluegill. Hopefully, they'll bite! :twisted:

I Love Big Racks
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: First set of flies

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Very nice, tho your pics are not showing. I have been tying my own flies for years now, from well-known ones such as Wooly Buggers and Clouser Minnows to my own patterns. I use em on everything from bluegills to trout to muskies. Love catching big Lake Erie Smallmouth Bass on the fly rod, and Common Carp are excellent on flies! It’s a very rewarding feeling when you fool a fish with flies you have tied yourself. Keep it up, and experiment and challenge yourself. Learn fly-tying techniques such has how to spin deer hair, and make sure you know how to use your knots which are the hitch knot and whip finish. And especially learn how to tie Wooly Buggers and their variations. Quite a deadly multi-species fly and pretty easy to tie. Keep at it, and if you have any questions or need help with something feel free to ask! ;)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Those are really cool! Nice work!
My little brother got into it a few years ago and it's really interesting to watch. Around here there are several groups that get together once a week during the winter to tie at local restaurants and stuff. Maybe you can find a similar thing around you?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

Good job. They look good and should just slay the gills! Fly tyers I know say it is almost as enjoyable as fishing. It's something I want to give a try someday.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”