Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Post by RidgeBack69 »

I was there in September and found it to be a good fishery but that was 6 years ago.
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Have been doing some fishing besides just gallivanting around my neck of the country the past couple of weeks.

Went fishing at Kenisee lake again on October 12th and kept a variety of Sunfish, have to stock up the freezer for winter!

Fished at the local lake on the 18th down by the causeway like I did last week but the wind dirtied up the water on the north end so I went to the south end to the Spillway and fished on the lake side where it was pretty calm. Caught a few fish, mostly small perch & bluegill, caught 2 nice perch with crawlers and threw a dark colored spinner with no results, changed to a light perch colored spinner and that did the hat-trick for a nice 3 pound Largemouth I released. Hooked a big one while reeling in a small perch using a crawler, but it let go after a few seconds. couldn't get it to strike again though. Don't know if it was a Bass, Walleye, or a Pike, but the way it churned the water like a big log and the tug was saying big fish! Maybe next time.
This is the bridge area on the causeway but the fish weren't hitting here today.
Started catching fish at the spillway on the lake side like this nice perch
Then a nice Bluegill Sunfish
And another nice perch
Got this 3 pound Largemouth Bass with the perch colored spinner
Then on October 21st went back up to Kenisee Lake and caught 18 largemouth Bass on that same perch colored spinner that ranged from 1 1/2 to 2 lb only, no big Bass, but it was fun catchin' & releasin' them. Did keep a few panfish, & perch with my 10 year old grandson using crawlers.
My grandson caught a big Sunfish on his first cast and I caught this Bass on my first cast.
Another Bass
All of the Bass caught were around 1 1/2 pounds to 2 pounds
Nice Perch & Crappie can also be caught here
Lots of big Sunfish are in this lake
Kept 3 dozen nice eaters for the freezer but threw back twice as many smaller ones that we caught.
All in all it turned out to be a great fall day for fishing.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

October 27, Another day at the local lake and a little slower today but it still had its rewards.
Got a nice Yellow Perch that was 13 1/2 inches long, One big inland lake perch that I've caught not being out of Lake Erie, along with 2 more keepers.
Usually this time of year when the water begins to cool off the perch get really active, and there are just so many small perch
that the bass & walleyes feed on them pretty actively all the way until the ice is on the lake near the tower.
I'll throw the perch in the freezer with the other ones I've caught until I have enough for a good fish dinner.

The perch were hitting on a dull gold spinner with a piece of nightcrawler using 8 pound test, you never know when a big Walleye will hit it.
This was a 12 inch bucket and this perch could not straighten out cuz it was so long
13 1/2 inch, 11 1/2 inch & 10 1/4 inch keepers
Last edited by gas56 on October 28th, 2017, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Dandy perch Gas. Doesn't take many of those to make a meal. We missed the jumbo perch bite this year up in Lake Huron. Sounded like it was pretty good this year.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
krokenosterfant
Scout

Post by krokenosterfant »

Awesome fishing there Gas, wish we got perch and a variaty of sunfish here in SA, we just have bluegill and smallmouth/largemouth bass. If any of you ever make it down to South Africa, come join us on a deep sea trip. You can find our guiding operation on facebook, "Savage Charters: Stilbaai"
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Very nice indeed Gas! I haven’t been able to get out like I like to at this time of year, no one been wanting to go salmon fishing and the run is almost over, and have yet to get out on the Lake Erie tribs to fish for steelhead and giant browns. I did get out to the lake up out in Great Valley NY tho with my cousin, as we had gone out there to drop off some wood for my uncle. Fishing was decent, I was using a 5-wt fly rod and a spinning setup as well (in the event of seeing any big Largemouth). The sunfish (bluegills and pumpkinseeds) and smaller bass cooperated nicely on the fly rod, basically used a Wooly Bugger pattern to nab em. Here’s a couple of pics of two really nice male Pumpkinseeds:

After that and the sun started to set, we moved to the front part of the lake where he big bass hang. I had hooked into and lost a big 5+lber, made the mistake of having my drag too tight and didn’t realize it until it popped (dammit!), he had taken the Senko rigged wacky style. But, my cousin followed up with this little beast, a little smaller at 4lbs:

So that’s all I got lol. Hopefully I can get on some steelhead very soon, or head to the Niagara River here and target smallies and muskies.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Nice pics BnB,........ Yeah it's a bummer when a big one gets away no matter what the reason......
At least that's the way I've felt on the few last big ones that did...........lol
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

Man I forgot to tell you guys. Every year my dad joins the Southtowns walleye tournament here in Lake Erie. Big money tournament with thousands of entries. My dad the captain of the charter and his buddy landed a 33” 12.3lb walleye that was good for second place. He lost first by fractions of a pound. Which if this was last year it woulda been first because last year not a single fish was caught over 12lbs. And there was only 4 in the 11lb range. The difference between first and second was $2k. But at least he got another $1k on top of second place for the biggest fish of the day that day.

$4k fish in total. What a catch!
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Raptor02 wrote:Man I forgot to tell you guys. Every year my dad joins the Southtowns walleye tournament here in Lake Erie. Big money tournament with thousands of entries. My dad the captain of the charter and his buddy landed a 33” 12.3lb walleye that was good for second place. He lost first by fractions of a pound. Which if this was last year it woulda been first because last year not a single fish was caught over 12lbs. And there was only 4 in the 11lb range. The difference between first and second was $2k. But at least he got another $1k on top of second place for the biggest fish of the day that day.

$4k fish in total. What a catch!
You know next year there is a HUGE tournament coming here to Lake Erie. It’s a world renown tourney circuit, the largest in the world. And of course I cannot remember the name now LMFAO.
officialwafflez
Hunter

Post by officialwafflez »

Luckily we don't have any ice here on lake chickamauga, was able to stick an alright fish on the umbrella rig this past week.
ingame name is BryanTheHunter

Return to “The Great Outdoors”