Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Post by gas56 »

Fall is here and what a good way to start some fishing.
Last week I spent some time at Kenisee Lake RV park with my brother in northern Ohio. The lake is small but really a nice fishery and the scenery gets beautiful in the fall.
My wife & me stayed at one of their rental cabins & we had some real good times all week long. I can say the most it was very peaceful to get away from home
for a while and I really got a lot of fishing in,.. not as much as I wanted too though......Ha ha.
Here are some photo's of the place and some of the fish we got.
I had caught a lot of 1.5 lb Largemouth bass on rubber worms & small spinnerbaits,.. had my line broke once on a huge Lunker,..
but did manage to get some nice ones as we had a cold front come in on the end of the week. But the old standby of hangin a live crawler paid off in the end to save the day.
The cabins were off by themselves in a wooded area and I got to say they were fully equipped and comfortable as well. To tell you the truth I could stay there all year if I could. ;)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The smaller bass, big bluegill, & crappie were used for a fish fry with beer batter coating and they were really good.
The 3 nice Bass were brought in for a picture so campers would know there are some big boys out there, but I released them back into the lake after that!
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Looks like a great place and a great trip overall, Gas. The fishing was good, the scenery is great, what more can you ask for?
Myself, with it being Fall it means the annual Salmon run is on, with lots of big Kings (Chinook), Coho, even a few Atlantic and Pink Salmon making their spawning runs up the Lake Ontario tributaries. And of course the giant Brown Trout and Steelhead are right behind them looking to eat the eggs. Normally, I get really excited this time of year as it’s not uncommon to catch a lot of BIG fish in a single days’ fishing. But, so far it’s lookin like it may be a wash for me, as it seems I have no one to go with this year. Hopefully I can get out at least once or twice, but it’s not lookin very promising :(
At least I know if I can’t get on the salmon run, the Niagara River is also an option for others species fattening up for the coming winter. I certainly have no problem with catching 6lb Smallmouth Bass all day lol
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Looks like a great place and a great trip overall, Gas. The fishing was good, the scenery is great, what more can you ask for?
Myself, with it being Fall it means the annual Salmon run is on, with lots of big Kings (Chinook), Coho, even a few Atlantic and Pink Salmon making their spawning runs up the Lake Ontario tributaries. And of course the giant Brown Trout and Steelhead are right behind them looking to eat the eggs. Normally, I get really excited this time of year as it’s not uncommon to catch a lot of BIG fish in a single days’ fishing. But, so far it’s lookin like it may be a wash for me, as it seems I have no one to go with this year. Hopefully I can get out at least once or twice, but it’s not lookin very promising :(
At least I know if I can’t get on the salmon run, the Niagara River is also an option for others species fattening up for the coming winter. I certainly have no problem with catching 6lb Smallmouth Bass all day lol
With that many river run fish I can see why you wouldn't want to miss it. Salmon and Trout and Smallies oh my!
Yeah,.. and large Smallies to boot,.. if I was in better health I wouldn't mind being there fishin' with you while the leaves are ah changing with some great views.
Hope you can get a partner to get fishing ASAP. And if you get some of them fish take a few photo's...... like I know you would anyways.
All I have to contend with in my backyard is some walleyes, pike, musky, & bass for now....... and I ain't complaining either......... :D
Have a good 1..................GAS
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

krokenosterfant wrote:Cool to see some fellow fishermen on the forum. Got up super early today... Well didn't really get up, went straight after I did a drive on Fastd's server. Nothing like a bit of a workout after not sleeping
Nice! That had to be a fun battle.
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

gas56 wrote:Fall is here and what a good way to start some fishing.
Last week I spent some time at Kenisee Lake RV park with my brother in northern Ohio. The lake is small but really a nice fishery and the scenery gets beautiful in the fall.
My wife & me stayed at one of their rental cabins & we had some real good times all week long. I can say the most it was very peaceful to get away from home
for a while and I really got a lot of fishing in,.. not as much as I wanted too though......Ha ha.
Here are some photo's of the place and some of the fish we got.
I had caught a lot of 1.5 lb Largemouth bass on rubber worms & small spinnerbaits,.. had my line broke once on a huge Lunker,..
but did manage to get some nice ones as we had a cold front come in on the end of the week. But the old standby of hangin a live crawler paid off in the end to save the day.
The cabins were off by themselves in a wooded area and I got to say they were fully equipped and comfortable as well. To tell you the truth I could stay there all year if I could. ;)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The smaller bass, big bluegill, & crappie were used for a fish fry with beer batter coating and they were really good.
The 3 nice Bass were brought in for a picture so campers would know there are some big boys out there, but I released them back into the lake after that!
That looks like a great spot and relaxing. Not bad fishing either. ;) Nice hull!
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Dirtclod wrote:That looks like a great spot and relaxing. Not bad fishing either. ;) Nice haul!
It was very tranquil and relaxing, and great fishing,...we released a lot of fish.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nice pictures gas :)

Went out this morning with my dad and brother since it was way to hot to hunt (did I really just say that? :o ) We caught some decent bass and a few hammer handle pike.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Nice pictures gas :)

Went out this morning with my dad and brother since it was way to hot to hunt (did I really just say that? :o ) We caught some decent bass and a few hammer handle pike.
I've got the lake practically to myself since Deer Bow season began.
It seems like everybody's off the lake now and I'm not in that big of a hurry to go deer hunting just yet.
It misted this afternoon and I fished awhile by the causeway bridge and picked up a few fish to eat, although I threw back a lot of small, Bluegills, Perch, & Bass.
Kept some really chunky Bluegills & a Crappie, and a good largemouth Bass to eat. The lake water is really cooling off over the past few weeks.
I was looking for some Walleyes but I guess I had to settle for what was hitting instead.
Last edited by gas56 on October 9th, 2017, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nice. Got stuck babysitting tonight so I took my brother and sister down to see if the salmon were still running. There were tons, but the only thing my brother caught was a tree hanging over the river. :lol:
There were some big fish in there. Planning on going back tomorrow if it's to warm to hunt.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
officialwafflez
Hunter

Post by officialwafflez »

6.28 Pounder
Left to right
8.77 Pounder and 7.23 Pounder
ingame name is BryanTheHunter

Return to “The Great Outdoors”