Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The Bite is on and some good fishing days have already started.
I didn't get to fish much last year, so hopefully I can get out a lot more for this season.
In the 2016 post I recently browsed through there were a lot of good fish taken, and I hope everyone can post their good catches again.
I caught these White Crappie (Panfish) a couple of days ago at the local lake in the late afternoon, they averaged around 11"-14" long.
The lake is known to produce some real nice Black & White Crappies,.. the White Crappies can get up to 16" & 17" in the spring backwaters & bays.
The perch was 13" and last week I caught a bunch of them but I didn't take a photo, but I will try to take more pictures in the future.
I was using a bobber & a gold hook using small fathead minnows (even though the bait shop said they were large minnows) at around 3 1/2 to 4 feet deep,
they weren't hitting fast & furious, but I only fished around 2 hours, so I suspect better days are coming around.
All I got to say last is they tasted mighty good!!!
L3M182
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Post by L3M182 »

wont be long now for the makrel in my neck of the wood. its cod in the winter and makrel in the summer. catch them of the peir with a string of daylights got 6 on 6 hook daylight tracer a few times and my reel and rod hate it.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Couple weeks ago a customer of mine had just came back from a fishing trip in Minn and had photos of a mess of yellow perch - they were absolutely CRAZY They called them footballs because they were long fat and shaped like footballs- they were simply amazing! I tried but failed to make a deal to purchase any... I did manage take some of his money :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

L3M182 wrote:wont be long now for the makrel in my neck of the wood. its cod in the winter and makrel in the summer. catch them of the peir with a string of daylights got 6 on 6 hook daylight tracer a few times and my reel and rod hate it.
I can't imagine having a rig around here like that pulling in multiple fish,..
when I used a crappie rig and would hook 2 on, big crappie usually don't hit that good with heavier line unless it's real murky/muddy water,...
it's easier to catch them with lighter 4-6 lb test line, cuz they're not aware of it that much, but the draw-back is the lighter line can't take a bashing even with the fish on the average are
only 1 1/2 lb.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Radamus wrote:Couple weeks ago a customer of mine had just came back from a fishing trip in Minn and had photos of a mess of yellow perch - they were absolutely CRAZY They called them footballs because they were long fat and shaped like footballs- they were simply amazing! I tried but failed to make a deal to purchase any... I did manage take some of his money :lol:
Footballs...... isn't that what we call Walleye in lake Erie?............. :lol:
last week I asked the guy down on the lake causeway if he was doing any good when I first got there?
He said he just got 1 perch,.... then he hefted up his stringer with a Perch the size of a large egg engorged stomach 2 lb Bass, and was grinning from ear to ear.
It was huge! I couldn't believe the size.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Well, ok Gas. I guess I can post a few catches here.
Had a pretty good week. Was at the Niagara River here down the street from me, just havin some fun with the Yellow Perch. They were hammering Emerald Shiners, rigged up on a double perch rig. Here's 2 of the 19 that I had caught:

And just yesterday (Saturday), was up at Spruce Lake in Great Valley, NY, goin after Largemouth Bass and Bluegills using Yamamoto Senkos on spinning tackle for the Bass, and I was using a small 5'6" 3wt fly rod and a #8 San Juan Worm for the Bluegills.

But the real kicker was this big ol' slob that surprised the hell out of me when she hit the San Juan Worm. Wow, what a WAR on such small fly tackle!! I've caught bass on fly tackle before, but larger setups that are suited for them. Really had to work hard to get her in. Wish I would of gotten that battle on camera!

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nice guys! I'll try and find some ice fishing pics from this winter and get them up. We did good on walleye this year.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:But the real kicker was this big ol' slob that surprised the hell out of me when she hit the San Juan Worm. Wow, what a WAR on such small fly tackle!! I've caught bass on fly tackle before, but larger setups that are suited for them. Really had to work hard to get her in. Wish I would of gotten that battle on camera!
Bass are way much funner to catch with light line, even in the tangles....
I strictly use 6 lb test and just for the fun of it.
I put my big rods & reels away and am a firm believer of the fight, even though I used to drag them in before....
There's nothing more exciting fishing Bass that way, even though some of them big fish break the line like thread.
And I know you know the reason why we like to fish for Bass! ;)
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Ah, you know me, Gas. I'll happily fish for anything, from panfish to small creek trout, all the way up to giant Muskies and King Salmon, and everything in between on conventional tackle or fly tackle. I personally love catching big Niagara River and Lake Erie Smallmouth Bass, pound for pound the best fighters in freshwater. Gimme a Smallie over a Largemouth any day.
officialwafflez
Hunter

Post by officialwafflez »

These two were part of a 18.02 pound limit that won me 300 bucks

7 Pounder from April.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eg5su795c6gjs ... 12%2035%20
ingame name is BryanTheHunter

Return to “The Great Outdoors”