2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
caliber420
Hunter

2017/2018

Post by caliber420 »

Well.. 232 replies with 12580 views on the 2016-2017 thread with awesome posts. Think it's about time for the next one, think we can beat those stats? :mrgreen:

Our turkey season just opened today, so I'll be heading up to the mountains tomorrow for a few days to chase thunder chickens with my bow. And I drew a muley archery tag in north eastern NM. And hopefully can find a way to get an elk tag, maybe colorado?

What's your plans for this new season, everyone? Looking forward to the new season and new posts. 8-)
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Turkey season opens up next week so I'll be out trying to get one with my bow.

Obviously I'll be deer hunting in the fall, along with applying for my MI elk and bear tags, but the odds of drawing are slim to none. I'm looking for ward to following this thread! Good luck all!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Okay. I'll kick off. This is a non-typical Roe Deer 6 Point.
This one I took with a 5,6x50R Mag. Blaser 700/88 combination gun.
He roughly weighs in at 20kg dressed (40lbs).
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Nice roe!

My turkey season ended yesterday without any birds hitting the ground. Maybe I'll move my earlier post from the 2016/2017 thread to this just to keep them together, but here is how this last weekend went.
Saturday I was up at 5:00. My little brother was supposed to go, but after trying to wake him up a few times without success, I left without him. When I got to my spot, I could hear a couple of toms gobbling on their roosts. It was just beginning to turn gray in the east as I set up my decoys on the edge of a pasture and then settled in. It was about 34 degrees and everything was covered with a heavy frost. The gobbling got more and more frequent, so I knew they were about to fly down. I called softly a few times, then settled in to wait. When it was finally daylight, I saw three toms come out of the woods opposite the field from me over 400 yards away. I had no idea that those birds were there since all the gobbling was coming from my left. As the birds were strutting and slowly working my way, I occasionally let out a few hen calls. This got them really fired up. Right when I thought that I had them on a string, the birds up to my left began going nuts. Gobbles and clucks and purrs filled the air and all three toms turned on a dime and made a beeline towards the others. Those were the only turkeys that I saw that day. On that hunt I had a chickadee land on my lap, then hop up onto my bow and try pulling some of the fluff off of my string silencers. It was pretty cool. I also watched a flock of crows chasing a bald eagle.

Yesterday I was again up at 5. It was raining lightly, but I figured that it was the last day so I had better go. I was able to get my brother up and we left the house on time for once. My dad and brother went to the spot where I had seen the birds the day before, and I went to a different field. My brother decided he wanted to use both decoys, so he pulled both out of the truck when I wasn't looking and before I drove away. My last morning, as expected, was kind of a bust due to someone taking all of the decoys, and I wasn't very happy when I picked them up later. It turns out that he missed a turkey with his arrow-gun at 55 yards, which he thought was only 40 yards. Serves him right I guess. :lol:
For those of you who still have a tag, good luck!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Well. Nothing shot is hunted, too.
Turkey hunting sounds very challenging. We only have a couple in Germany and by far none where I live.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

I got 2 a week ago in kansas.

Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

[quote="MooseHunter330"]Okay. I'll kick off. This is a non-typical Roe Deer 6 Point.
This one I took with a 5,6x50R Mag. Blaser 700/88 combination gun.
He roughly weighs in at 20kg dressed (40lbs).
Image[/quote

cool deer bro i like the crooked side, it makes him "special"
Last edited by baloo.the.dog on May 3rd, 2017, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roll Tide!!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

here's the other one. :)

Roll Tide!!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Congrats. Nice bird.

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Those look like some great turkeys.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”