2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 2017/2018

Post by TreeKiwi »

L3M182 wrote:
james990 wrote:It's spring time here in Australia, and spring means rabbits! Went for a walk with the shotgun with dad and granddad, ended up with 15 between us. Got 13 in the morning when they're most active, then went for a quick walk in the middle of the day and got two more not in the photo. Great fun. Also sighted in my new sauer 100 30-06, hopefully get out try it out on some sambar soon. Image

If it's a pest problem fair play but half of them are only a few weeks old. Not really fair game or any good for the pot. I always leave them until they are fully grown. Plus you're just ruining the stock for future hunting if you wipe out the new generation and does during the birthing season
Oh they are a masssssssiiiiivvvvveeee pest in Australian and NZ Ill find you a video to watch

and that was in 1988 I think. Imagine how crazy it is now!

They did release a virus that wiped a lot out. But the resistant ones survived and their numbers are back up again!

Cheers :)
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TreeKiwi wrote:Gas it's pronounced Bar-B in Straya :lol:
Actually we say Bar-B-Q .... :lol:
But that is some pest there,... so is it rabbit hunting season or pest control in the spring?
Our rabbit season doesn't start until the cold sets in early winter,.. they are fully grown and pretty healthy then.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

gas56 wrote:
But that is some pest there,... so is it rabbit hunting season or pest control in the spring?
Our rabbit season doesn't start until the cold sets in early winter,.. they are fully grown and pretty healthy then.
Gas absolutely everything apart from Game birds are fair game all year round in NZ! Can't speak for Australia... but I imagine it's the same. Everything is a pest and in plague proportions. The more you kill the more chance our native bush, birds and reptiles have! NZ didn't have any land mammals before the English got there. So the birds and reptiles never had any predators.

The rabbits were getting out of control in the late 1800's so some genius thought 'let's introduce ferrets as well' They went meh... rabbits are hard compared to all these easy birds and reptiles. I have only touched on two of the pest species... deer and everything go untouched and the terrain is tough. Helicopters are used to try control populations, especially of goats! Can yarn about this for ages!
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TreeKiwi wrote:
gas56 wrote:
Gas absolutely everything apart from Game birds are fair game all year round in NZ! Can't speak for Australia... but I imagine it's the same. Everything is a pest and in plague proportions. The more you kill the more chance our native bush, birds and reptiles have! NZ didn't have any land mammals before the English got there. So the birds and reptiles never had any predators.

The rabbits were getting out of control in the late 1800's so some genius thought 'let's introduce ferrets as well' They went meh... rabbits are hard compared to all these easy birds and reptiles. I have only touched on two of the pest species... deer and everything go untouched and the terrain is tough. Helicopters are used to try control populations, especially of goats! Can yarn about this for ages!
Sometimes some hard lessons are learned a little too late, and even though people think it is a nice thing to bring in exotic animals from somewhere else it usually puts the native
creatures at risk. It's been done here in the U.S. also and once some True Wild Boar were released and escaped farm pigs turned feral became a nuisance digging up the terrain and browse for native animals. Carp were going to feed people here as a staple fish but also escaped into the flooded rivers but now are a real nuisance. Pet snakes made their way for breeding populations like Boa's & Constrictors in Florida which have a real bad impact on the native diversity of reptiles there. There's always someone who wants to import animals and then they escape into the wilds and populations arise because of some similar eco systems but don't realize the harm it does in the long run. If anybody wants to hunt or fish a certain exotic animal I believe they should go to the place where they are natively born. Sorry for the rant,.. but I think animals should stay where they're at in the world.
Last edited by gas56 on October 11th, 2017, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

They sure should!! But they have allowed me to melt a few barrels that's for sure :lol:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TreeKiwi wrote:They sure should!! But they have allowed me to melt a few barrels that's for sure :lol:
Nobody can fix the mistakes already made but I guess we can try like hell to eradicate them all just for the fun of it........... ;)
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Must be one heck of a rabbit hunt! Sadly we don't hunt many rabbits (or rather hare) where I live.
I would really like to hunt small game with a shotgun sometime. Maybe if we get the foxes regulated to a tolerable point.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Rabbits are a pest so can be hunted year round. They literally "breed like rabbits" and they are always poisoned throughout the summer and autumn. In australia they breed in the spring and the young tender ones are out and about and are easy targets and great for the pan.
willybepop
Hunter

Post by willybepop »

baloo.the.dog wrote:Have youu ever hunted the Conecuh nat'l forest, it's on tha Alabama side, but I turkey hunt it and always see deer when I go? What part of NW Florida are you? Im in Baldwin County Al.
I'm actually in NE Florida in St. Augustine, just south of Jacksonville. I've always wanted to hunt Alabama.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Ah the hazzards on scouting new deer hunting territory. Currently sitting in the ditch waiting for a tow truck :x

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “The Great Outdoors”