2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
paul2012
Tracker

Re: 2017/2018

Post by paul2012 »

baloo.the.dog wrote:Deer hunting to me is over-rated, especially rifle season. Bow hunting and gun hunting for deer just seem to boring to me. All you do is climb up a tree, sit in your stand, and wait, and wait, and wait .....and wait. It does however become very exciting when you see one and your heart starts racing but just doesn't seem worth it with stands, blinds, shooting houses, trail cams, feeders, food plots, etc. Bow hunting is challenging to aim but gun season is just point.. aim.. shoot. The only reason I choose waterfowl/small game is their is a challenge to hitting the animal, unlike a standing deer. Can't wait til November and I can get to them water-birds! What makes y'all so excited for deer season?
Last year was actually the turning point for where i've now missed more deer than birds/small game, or at least as far as hit/miss ratio. Frankly shotguns have become much easier than rifle or bow. Guess that's to be expected from a three time lettered trap shooter. 8-)
Most people have already pointed out that not all places work for tree stands. Normally here in the Midwest it would be, but a few years back the logging company that owns the land we hunt on clear cut the forest that we normally hunt come rifle opener. There is a lot of publicly accessible land around there, but my camp of family/friends have controlled the same region for probably 40-50 years so uprooting the camp to find tree stand huntable forest has not really been an option. A few of us still hang in the sparse stand trees that are around but most of us have switched to learn new tactics like still hunting or stalking. As for down in farm country, especially with bow hunting and private land, the hype comes from seeing all the work you put in over the off-season come into play. For me, being able to use my newly built tower stand and food plot are the big things this year. Along with all the scouting, reviewing last seasons hits/misses and planning new strategies to get on the deer I know are there but rarely see.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
baloo.the.dog wrote:Deer hunting to me is over-rated, especially rifle season. Bow hunting and gun hunting for deer just seem to boring to me. All you do is climb up a tree, sit in your stand, and wait, and wait, and wait .....and wait. It does however become very exciting when you see one and your heart starts racing but just doesn't seem worth it with stands, blinds, shooting houses, trail cams, feeders, food plots, etc. Bow hunting is challenging to aim but gun season is just point.. aim.. shoot. The only reason I choose waterfowl/small game is their is a challenge to hitting the animal, unlike a standing deer. Can't wait til November and I can get to them water-birds! What makes y'all so excited for deer season?
Wow, I must be a really terrible hunter since I've missed deer with a gun. You seem to think that deer hunting is just going out and shooting a deer. Simple as that, boring, etc. People get excited about deer hunting because of all the effort that goes into it which makes success that much more satisfying. I agree with Flinter, I would take a day of deer hunting over anything else every day of the week. The challenge in bird hunting is being able to shoot. The challenge in deer hunting is being able to outsmart the animal. Anyone can learn to shoot. Not everyone can learn out to outthink a deer. ;)
DO agree that some of the most fun thing about hunting is trying to out-smart the animal, especially waterfowl, decoy placement, hiding yourself and your boat, calling at specific times, plus having to shoot a football sized object flying at 35-40mph make hunting fun. I was just tryna figure who liked which one was liked more by the community and why. I've just always wondered why deer was liked more.

BTW you aren't a bad shot if you missed a deer, I've missed them too, adrenaline is the deer's advocate. Done my fair share of misses.
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

baloo.the.dog wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Wow, I must be a really terrible hunter since I've missed deer with a gun. You seem to think that deer hunting is just going out and shooting a deer. Simple as that, boring, etc. People get excited about deer hunting because of all the effort that goes into it which makes success that much more satisfying. I agree with Flinter, I would take a day of deer hunting over anything else every day of the week. The challenge in bird hunting is being able to shoot. The challenge in deer hunting is being able to outsmart the animal. Anyone can learn to shoot. Not everyone can learn out to outthink a deer. ;)
DO agree that some of the most fun thing about hunting is trying to out-smart the animal, especially waterfowl, decoy placement, hiding yourself and your boat, calling at specific times, plus having to shoot a football sized object flying at 35-40mph make hunting fun. I was just tryna figure who liked which one was liked more by the community and why. I've just always wondered why deer was liked more.

BTW you aren't a bad shot if you missed a deer, I've missed them too, adrenaline is the deer's advocate. Done my fair share of misses.
Just reread my post and it sounded a lot harsher than I meant it to.
Yeah, shooting at flying ducks is fun and challenging. I've done it and definitely see how people can get addicted to it. It's just deer that get my blood pumping more so than ducks.

Went out tonight to a clear cut way back in and had some fun with the elk. The bulls were bugling all around me, but the hot weather kept them in the woods until almost dark. Then I could just see elk drifting from the woods everywhere. I had one bull come right in to 20 yards. When he bugles it made very hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was awesome!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

Well it's officially autumn... well I think in like 4 hours to be exact... anyway, I've put the finishing touches on 2 of my early season stands, one new and one old. The new one now has a bow/equipment hanger and the old one, which is "homemade" if you will, has a nice little equipment shelf on the inside and a new seat. I shot from the new stand the day I hung it and was able to hit a maple leaf on a straw bale at every range I shot at. I actually watched a small buck and 4 does walk under my newly hung stand last night. As usual, I'll be looking to take out a doe or 2 in the early season so I can focus on bucks from late October on. One week from tonight I'll be lying awake in bed, trying unsuccessfully to sleep before the season opener. I can't wait!

EDIT: Looks like I may be getting a tactacam afterall. I might just have to do a bit of filming then with my old camcorder, which is only 720p and probably not so good for low-light, but it would be better than nothing. That of course depends on whether or not I get a camera arm, I'll have to look in to it. As I'm typing this I just remembered the microphone on that 720p camera is really awful. Hmmm... we'll see what I end up doing lol. For sure any and all shots should be filmed with the tactacam :)
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

instinct where are you from?

Roll Tide!!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

baloo.the.dog wrote:instinct where are you from?
Michigan. You?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Michigan. You?
Mississippi/Alabama, no elk there...... Didn't even know elk were in Michigan, that's why I asked. :)

Roll Tide!!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

baloo.the.dog wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Michigan. You?
Mississippi/Alabama, no elk there...... Didn't even know elk were in Michigan, that's why I asked. :)
Yeah, we have a few here. The DNR doesn't really know how many. Last I heard they said between 800 and 1200. Every year they give out a limited number of tags. Its very tough to get a license.

Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Goose season has started in Norway - this is my share of today's catch.
(Can we pleeeease get greylags for hirschfelden???)

Last edited by Villkatta on September 23rd, 2017, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Went teal hunting, no teal left in the area, but i did shoot a gallinule, which tastes great on salads, in dip, pasta, etc.
My setup:
Gallinule and my winchester 12 gauge made in 1948

Roll Tide!!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”