2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
caliber420
Hunter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by caliber420 »

Stoked that this thread kept going! Haven't had much time to post online. Struck out on birds this spring.

Spent 5 days bowhunting back country elk with my buddy. We were on bulls everyday, but couldn't seal the deal. He ended up killing a cow after I left to hunt deer up north. One of my favorite encounters was when we backpacked into a little area that's off the beaten path. Glassed elk that evening then slept under a tree in the meadow that night. In the morning we moved down to try to ambush the elk when they would walk out. At about 8am a good sized bull ran acrossed a ridge about 500 yards away. We decided to risk it for the biscuit. I cow called a few times and the bull turned then started coming in on a string. It was unreal like something you'd expect in this game! haha!
He set up about 40 yards ahead of me while I cow called from the back. The bull was moving down fast. He let out a mind numbing bugle then I cut him off with a bugle of my own. He was mad! Just as I thought he would be in range of my buddy the bull turned and disappeared into the timber. I felt a breeze on the back of my neck... The wind had switched.

Spent 6 days chasing muleys with my bow in a unit with a 7% harvest rate out of 80 tags. Got into bucks on the second day, and couldn't turn them up after that. I was into elk everyday though, so might have found a new elk honey hole. I was making a drive back through the mountain pass to my campsite and it was scenic as hell. One of the days I was driving back I planned on fueling up in a town an hour from camp then just cold camp my hunting spot until I had to leave. But on the way a storm started up. When I got out to open gates to my campsite there was lightning hitting the trees near me. Sketchy for sure! Of course ended up eating tag soup on that one. Was really bummed I couldn't spend more time hunting there, but the unit is pretty far from where I live.

So far I've got a lot of days hunting black bear with my bow. It's been frustrating, but awesome. Have over 100 miles hiked looking for them. I count a lot of my other time hunting in it as well because I had a bow and a tag in my pocket for them. On the first day in a new area I hiked about 6 miles on a old fire road. Came around a corner and saw a bear about 300 yards from me feeding up the ridge on berries. I took a small video then started my stalk. I creeped along the road watching the bear and marking downed trees in my mind to remember his last location. I ranged him (100yds) as he slipped into some thorn brush. The bear disappeared into a canyon hole full of thorn brush and deadfall. I ran down the road around the bend to try and come up on the other side. I couldn't find it! Awesome experience though. I've been trying to replicate it. I have to keep reminding myself that the more encounters I make happen the higher my odds are.

Two weeks ago I spent a few days helping on a rifle bull hunt. It was really enjoyable. Any excuse to get me outdoors is a good one especially if it involves elk.

As I write this I was supposed to be out hunting with my dad, but some stuff came up that prevented us from going. Been "hunt sick" (home sick for hunting!). Hopefully can get a few more days of bear hunting in before more stuff comes up! I have a lot of pictures I wanted to post for you guys, but I think it'd be easier if I just link my instagram. https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/ I have a lot of pictures of all the places I've been this season.

Loved reading all your posts on this thread! You guys rock! I'll try to go back through this post and get some images in for those who don't want to go to the instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

@ Caliber420
Jack, those are some nice photos......... of some nice looking country adventures :)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Sounds like a great season Caliber420. I would love to be able to do some of the hunts that you do!

Had an exciting sit tonight. Went out with my younger brother to a stand back in the swamp. Bumped a doe walking in but had no shot as she ran off.
Around 5:40 I caught a flash of white out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was only a woodpecker. As I was watching it, I noticed the ferns in the background getting pushed aside. I told my brother be quiet, there's a deer coming. However, instead of a deer stepping out, a bear stepped out. Now I love to see bears and bear hunt, but my brother has never seen one and is really scared of them. I noticed him instantly start shaking and when he looked at me his face was white. I felt bad for him but there wasn't much I could do. It wasn't a huge bear, probably 200-250 pounds, but I'm sure in his mind it was 400+. Anyways, the bear walked out, hit our scent trail, then turned on a dime and went running back the way he came. Didn't see any deer, and I don't think I'll be taking my brother hunting again this fall. Could hardly get him out of the tree once it got dark. Anyways, was a hunt that I won't forget.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Well....
Anybody want a trailblazer? I know where the red one for sale. I'm so sick of this piece of crap getting stuck in places that I can drive through so easily with the truck! Currently sitting a mud puddle (yes puddle, not hole!) This thing is so light it won't even get traction. Not exactly how I want to spend my Friday night!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Well....
Anybody want a trailblazer? I know where the red one for sale. I'm so sick of this piece of crap getting stuck in places that I can drive through so easily with the truck! Currently sitting a mud puddle (yes puddle, not hole!) This thing is so light it won't even get traction. Not exactly how I want to spend my Friday night!
A trailblazer? why would you take a station wagon/minivan off road? :lol: Geez~ might as well buy an Avalanche and call it a truck there soccer mom :P

http://www.carstuckgirls.com/chevrolet_ ... ck_008.jpg ...
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Radamus wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Well....
A trailblazer? why would you take a station wagon/minivan off road? :lol: Geez~ might as well buy an Avalanche and call it a truck there soccer mom :P

http://www.carstuckgirls.com/chevrolet_ ... ck_008.jpg ...
Pretty much :lol:
I was told it would go anywhere that the trick would, but that was a load of bull! It bogged down in a little mud puddle that I've driven through a hundred times without issue. Ended up walking back to the house in the dark, getting the tractor, driving back, pulling the car out, then driving the tractor back, then walking back and getting the car! I'm home alone tonight so there was nobody to do some driving to save on walking. I'm bushed! It was a character building experience!

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Going hunting this morning proved to be a good decision.
The fox was the first one of them to visit my stand. He came trotting down the path at around 6:40AM.
He kept on going until he was only 10-15m from my seat, at which point I was almost ready to raise my gun.
However, the fox decided to make a run for it. But I wasn't keen on letting him get away, so I stood up and flipped off the safety.
In a moment's notice, I looked through the scope, aimed for a brief second and pulled the rear trigger.
The 3,5mm shot struck him at 33 meters and he went down like a sack of potatoes right before he would have gone out of range.
After I ensured myself, that he was indeed down, I decided to stay put for another hour or two.
But it didn't even take that much time for a roe deer doe to show up. At around 7:10 she came walking down the very same path, that the fox had already taken.
I was careful right off the bat, since, at first glance, you can never be sure of whether the doe has fawns.
She walked straight up to the fox I had shot earlier and inspected him thoroughly, at which point she figured out, that coming closer wouldn't be the best thing to do.
I, however, decided on taking the doe as well, mostly because of this behaviour together with no signs of having had any fawns this year, but also because the freezer was getting empty.
I waited for the perfect moment and right when she stood in the middle of the road, I set the first trigger, aimed high up on the shoulder blade (since shooting from a tower) and touched off the 4,2g 5,6x50R Magnum soft point.
After a very hasty flight of another 30 meters, the doe went down from the heart shot.
Half an hour later, my dad came and we made the following photo. All in all, a very productive morning.

Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Looks like a good morning. Congrats :)

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

And I didn't stop there. Last night I took this wild boar (The one on the right ;) )
I shot it at 40 meters with a .30-06. It was trotting when I shot. The round impacted right around the sternum and basically obliterated the heart and shoulder blade.
It weighs 43lbs field dressed.

Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

MooseHunter330 wrote:And I didn't stop there. Last night I took this wild boar (The one on the right ;) )
I shot it at 40 meters with a .30-06. It was trotting when I shot. The round impacted right around the sternum and basically obliterated the heart and shoulder blade.
It weighs 43lbs field dressed.
Looks like you're having a lot of success out there. Congrats!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”