2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by gas56 »

Knut wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Gas echoes my thoughts pretty well. With all the time and work I put into getting a deer, I don't think that I would be able to shoot a small deer and make it worth it.
That's the difference between a public land tag system and a territorial management system like we have it here in Germany (and other European countries).
If I'd only have a tag to fill, I would also choose my target animal by size and amount of meat.
Actually the tag permits amount goes by the county of my state, and there are 88 counties. It used to be broken up into 5 zoning regions just a couple of years ago, but as the deer populations grows it was needed to be set by county. I have a 3 deer either sex permits I can take in the county I live in,.. where overall I can take up to 6 deer in the whole state in other counties, but only 1 can be antlered for the whole deer hunting season year for Ohio. The individual States manage their big game hunting differently, so I cannot say how every state works. Even though I could shoot a young small deer, the good habitat is there for growing older deer and Ohio produces some really big old monster bucks. I hunt private property and state public lands and they do overlap with deer territories and big deer can be found on both places if you're in the right place at the right time. Mostly I leave the smaller ones alone, but I've seen them taken by a lot of public land hunters, and even private land nuisance deer are taken by farmers that get into their crops. It's nice to know some of these farmers. This map may give you some more insight of how many places to get your deer limits can be used at in Ohio .
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Well with the holidays and all that my hunting has been a bit more limited. I've still managed to get out a few times, but no luck. A few does but they passed out of range. The few times I've been out have been beautiful with the snow falling. It's a great time of the year to be in the woods. Although most people are done hunting, it doesn't stop them from trying to ruin the hunting of those who are a bit more persistent. Driving in yesterday, I noticed that a truck had been down the road with a plow. When I rounded a corner, I saw where they had plowed up a big pile of snow right in the middle of the road. I had this issue last year, and I know who does it. Haven't confronted him on it but I'm about to. Thankfully I had a shovel in the vehicle and was able to shovel my way through. Here's where it gets interesting. When I came out, he had plowed it again and sealed me back in. I couldn't believe it! He did a really good job this time too, and it was really obvious where he had gone of the road in order to get more snow to pile up. Took me about 45 minutes to get out, which gave me plenty of time to really get ticked off. Probably won't stop out again until after Christmas, which should give him enough time to make a good pile. We'll see what happens. Anyways, to all of you still going at it, best of luck!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Well with the holidays and all that my hunting has been a bit more limited. I've still managed to get out a few times, but no luck. A few does but they passed out of range. The few times I've been out have been beautiful with the snow falling. It's a great time of the year to be in the woods. Although most people are done hunting, it doesn't stop them from trying to ruin the hunting of those who are a bit more persistent. Driving in yesterday, I noticed that a truck had been down the road with a plow. When I rounded a corner, I saw where they had plowed up a big pile of snow right in the middle of the road. I had this issue last year, and I know who does it. Haven't confronted him on it but I'm about to. Thankfully I had a shovel in the vehicle and was able to shovel my way through. Here's where it gets interesting. When I came out, he had plowed it again and sealed me back in. I couldn't believe it! He did a really good job this time too, and it was really obvious where he had gone of the road in order to get more snow to pile up. Took me about 45 minutes to get out, which gave me plenty of time to really get ticked off. Probably won't stop out again until after Christmas, which should give him enough time to make a good pile. We'll see what happens. Anyways, to all of you still going at it, best of luck!
Is the road public or private?
Yeah that would tick me off too if he blocked it with snow and you can't get in or out without shoveling it.
I would talk to the guy and see why he is doing it. If he doesn't have the right to do it, I would tell him to stop
because you are still hunting there. It doesn't sound right that he blocks the road though.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

gas56 wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Well with the holidays and all that my hunting has been a bit more limited. I've still managed to get out a few times, but no luck. A few does but they passed out of range. The few times I've been out have been beautiful with the snow falling. It's a great time of the year to be in the woods. Although most people are done hunting, it doesn't stop them from trying to ruin the hunting of those who are a bit more persistent. Driving in yesterday, I noticed that a truck had been down the road with a plow. When I rounded a corner, I saw where they had plowed up a big pile of snow right in the middle of the road. I had this issue last year, and I know who does it. Haven't confronted him on it but I'm about to. Thankfully I had a shovel in the vehicle and was able to shovel my way through. Here's where it gets interesting. When I came out, he had plowed it again and sealed me back in. I couldn't believe it! He did a really good job this time too, and it was really obvious where he had gone of the road in order to get more snow to pile up. Took me about 45 minutes to get out, which gave me plenty of time to really get ticked off. Probably won't stop out again until after Christmas, which should give him enough time to make a good pile. We'll see what happens. Anyways, to all of you still going at it, best of luck!
Yeah that would tick me off too if he blocked it with snow and you can't get in or out without shoveling it.
I would talk to the guy and see why he is doing it. If he doesn't have the right to do it, I would tell him to stop
because you are still hunting there. It doesn't sound right that he blocks the road though.
It's a public road. He drives in a short ways so that it isn't obvious from the main road. He does to keep people from being able to hunt. He hunts 2 or 3 days of rifle season every year, then calls it quits and starts pulling stuff like this on other hunters. I already had one run in with him this year when he came up to me while I was hunting, claiming that I was on private property. I wasn't of course. I'm sure I could talk to the police or something, but I really don't want to get them involved in a dispute over something as silly as this. On the other hand I'm not really content to let Ebenezer Scrooge control my hunting. Anyways, we'll see. Merry Christmas guys!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
gas56 wrote:
It's a public road. He drives in a short ways so that it isn't obvious from the main road. He does to keep people from being able to hunt. He hunts 2 or 3 days of rifle season every year, then calls it quits and starts pulling stuff like this on other hunters. I already had one run in with him this year when he came up to me while I was hunting, claiming that I was on private property. I wasn't of course. I'm sure I could talk to the police or something, but I really don't want to get them involved in a dispute over something as silly as this. On the other hand I'm not really content to let Ebenezer Scrooge control my hunting. Anyways, we'll see. Merry Christmas guys!
It isn't silly if he is preventing you from driving down the road.
I would inform the police and let them handle the situation.
You have every right to use the road in the way it was meant to be used.
If he is informed of his wrong doings by the authorities he cannot disobey the law without having penalties forced on him.
Don't let him bully you, ignore him outright, and report him or he will always keep doing this.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

gas56 wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
gas56 wrote:
It isn't silly if he is preventing you from driving down the road.
I would inform the police and let them handle the situation.
You have every right to use the road in the way it was meant to be used.
If he is informed of his wrong doings by the authorities he cannot disobey the law without having penalties forced on him.
Don't let him bully you, ignore him outright, and report him or he will always keep doing this.
Never let a bully win call the police and let them deal with it.

I don't remember who this quote is from but here goes,
"All it takes for evil to prevail if for good people to do nothing."
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Well, it's over. While people all over the world celebrate the new year on January 1st, I trudge out into the woods for one last hurrah. First off, I'll address the issue with the previously mentioned idiot. I said something about it to a police friend of the family and he went and looked into it. As would be expected, the guy claimed he had no idea what we were talking about and there was no way to prove it was him. At this point it didn't really matter anyways since we've had so much snow I couldn't have gotten in anyways. Anyways, I hunted the last few days of season without much luck, but I definitely came away with some great memories. I had to relocate due to the snow and started parking at a snowmobile trail head. I was very surprised how many snowmobilers were interested in my hunting and how many of them offered to give me a ride if I needed one. I never took them up on it, but it was still pretty cool. The last four nights of season all ended in the single digits, and each time that I got to the truck I was frozen. However, these walks out at night were absolutely beautiful. There was a full moon, and every night I walked out without a flashlight since it was so bright. Everything was sparkling and crackling in the cold. Every night I probably stopped and just stood for 10 minutes just looking around because it was so pretty that I didn't want to leave. On New Years Eve when I went out, I had a huge bald eagle land in the tree I was standing under about 50 feet up. Everything was so quiet that I could hear him ruffle his feathers. It was awesome! Another night I had a few deer come through right as I was packing up to leave. They passed at about 25 yards, but I didn't think that it would be right to risk a shot in that light. On the final night of season it suddenly hit me pretty hard that it's over. I'm going of to college next year, and chances are I'll never have the chance to hunt as often and as persistently as I've been able to in the past. It was pretty tough to accept that. As it started getting darker I tried to make it slow down. It didn't work, and as the moon rose up again and everything was shimmering, my 2017 deer season was over.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I'm going of to college next year, and chances are I'll never have the chance to hunt as often and as persistently as I've been able to in the past. It was pretty tough to accept that. As it started getting darker I tried to make it slow down. It didn't work, and as the moon rose up again and everything was shimmering, my 2017 deer season was over.
There's always that part of a hunter that see's the countryside as a wonderful place to be,
that part will never leave you.
And no matter what you do in life you will find the time to get back out there, maybe not as much as you've done,..
but every time you do you can enjoy it with the same passion.
And don't forget about retirement,.. you will then again be able to spend that time as much as you want too,....
I can attest to that fact.......... :P
The one thing about frigid weather though is it gets a lot tougher in your older age.....
This week-end the 3-day Muzzle Loader deer season begins here,... but I don't think I can take the cold so I may have to just play theHunter instead.
On the other hand the bow season doen't stop here until early Feb., and all it takes is one last streak of warm weather (above freezing) and I'll be out there...
at least I hope it happens. So it's not over for me until the fat lady sings or the last day arrives.
I'm just not ready to say good-bye when I have one more chance to say,... well hello there you big sun of a gun!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

gas56 wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:I'm going of to college next year, and chances are I'll never have the chance to hunt as often and as persistently as I've been able to in the past. It was pretty tough to accept that. As it started getting darker I tried to make it slow down. It didn't work, and as the moon rose up again and everything was shimmering, my 2017 deer season was over.
There's always that part of a hunter that see's the countryside as a wonderful place to be,
that part will never leave you.
And no matter what you do in life you will find the time to get back out there, maybe not as much as you've done,..
but every time you do you can enjoy it with the same passion.
And don't forget about retirement,.. you will then again be able to spend that time as much as you want too,....
I can attest to that fact.......... :P
The one thing about frigid weather though is it gets a lot tougher in your older age.....
This week-end the 3-day Muzzle Loader deer season begins here,... but I don't think I can take the cold so I may have to just play theHunter instead.
On the other hand the bow season doen't stop here until early Feb., and all it takes is one last streak of warm weather (above freezing) and I'll be out there...
at least I hope it happens. So it's not over for me until the fat lady sings or the last day arrives.
I'm just not ready to say good-bye when I have one more chance to say,... well hello there you big sun of a gun!
I hope that I never loose that feeling. It's pretty awesome! I've already begun looking at public land around all of the colleges that I want to go to. I'm sure the hunting pressure is off the charts, but it's better than nothing. I've got a loooong way's until retirement, and for all I know hunting may be outlawed by that point, but I sure hope to God that it's not.
Here's your streak of warm weather. In the 50's today! Lost almost all of our snow :cry: :cry: :cry:
I hope you run across that big son of a gun!

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Here's your streak of warm weather. In the 50's today! Lost almost all of our snow
Ours melted also,.. but it's been really wet.. and calling for an ice storm as I write this it is beginning to start,.. then back into the double digits again next week.
So much for the January thaw,.. as it was very short lived. But that's how it goes.......and how else am I gonna keep my beer cold on the back porch? :P

Return to “The Great Outdoors”