2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by DYEUZ »

Nice story . Grats .
Let me ask you , you are allowed to shoot all these species ? No restricted periods or anything like that ?
You need a permit for each of them ?

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Thank you, thank you. Now for your question.
The hunting law in Germany differs greatly from that in America.
The American law is a license driven system, we have a hunting district system.

It basically works like this:

- The right to hunt is bound to the ground, meaning, that every owner of property has the right to hunt on their property.
- To make use of this right, there are some requirements:
1. Size. The ground you own must be 185 acres or larger to be eligible for hunting. If not, it will be added to the local community hunting district
2. Licensing: You are required to have passed an exam, which legally makes you a hunter (You can also lease the right to hunt from a non-hunter owner of a district)
- If you are a hunter and have a district that meets the requirements above (or you have leased one), you are responsible for game animal control in the district.
- You can also allow other hunters to hunt on your district.
- If you have the right to hunt on a certain piece of land, you do not need a license from the state.
- For big game (with the exception of boar and roe deer), the local hunting office give you a management plan, that says how much you have to shoot. This plan is derived from an inspection of damage to the woodlands.
- Small game, also including wild boar, can be hunted to your heart's extent and management is left to you
- Roe deer are also hunted according to a plan, but this plan is made by the ground owners and the hunters without the involvement of the authorities. If you hunt on your own ground, you have to set a responsible number yourself.
- Finally, hunting is restricted by different seasons for different animals and - of course - you can only set traps in populated areas.

All in all it's a bit complicated, but I like, the fact, that you are responsible for what happens on your land.
Hope that helped.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

MooseHunter330 wrote:Thank you, thank you. Now for your question.
The hunting law in Germany differs greatly from that in America.
The American law is a license driven system, we have a hunting district system.

It basically works like this:

- The right to hunt is bound to the ground, meaning, that every owner of property has the right to hunt on their property.
- To make use of this right, there are some requirements:
1. Size. The ground you own must be 185 acres or larger to be eligible for hunting. If not, it will be added to the local community hunting district
2. Licensing: You are required to have passed an exam, which legally makes you a hunter (You can also lease the right to hunt from a non-hunter owner of a district)
- If you are a hunter and have a district that meets the requirements above (or you have leased one), you are responsible for game animal control in the district.
- You can also allow other hunters to hunt on your district.
- If you have the right to hunt on a certain piece of land, you do not need a license from the state.
- For big game (with the exception of boar and roe deer), the local hunting office give you a management plan, that says how much you have to shoot. This plan is derived from an inspection of damage to the woodlands.
- Small game, also including wild boar, can be hunted to your heart's extent and management is left to you
- Roe deer are also hunted according to a plan, but this plan is made by the ground owners and the hunters without the involvement of the authorities. If you hunt on your own ground, you have to set a responsible number yourself.
- Finally, hunting is restricted by different seasons for different animals and - of course - you can only set traps in populated areas.

All in all it's a bit complicated, but I like, the fact, that you are responsible for what happens on your land.
Hope that helped.
It doesn't sound so much different besides the landowners in Germany regulates what game animals can be taken, as with the U.S. it is the State that regulates what game animals can be taken.
Believe it or not there is a lot of regulations to abide by here also which is similar with private land size, seasons, & hunting districts of each state, along with hunter classes needed for 1st time hunters and each additional tag or stamp along with a hunting license, or trapping license needed for non-land owners. And there are many provisions which regulate private landownership hunting and animal destruction to crop fields which allow landowners to take animals. Landowners that hunt their own property usually only have to provide there own written permit when taking animals to the game management check stations in a lot of States. This is just the tip of the iceberg for game laws as you can see the States themselves set the regulations but it is not that cut and dry and varies from state to state. It just seems simple to us after doing it for so long this way but is a very diverse game management system. And for the most part it is our responsibility also what happens on our private land. Although there is a lot of public hunting lands available for hunters that can't have the choice private land owners can provide for themselves such as land lease hunting, guided hunts, or private hunting reserves, but non-land owners can still have productive hunts wherever you find public lands that were also put aside for their hunting use.
Have a good 1........................GAS
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Haven't really posted much about my season yet since there hasn't been much to post about. No matter where I go, I'm jut not seeing deer. Spits that were hot in previous years aren't even showing sign this year. One of my spots is in the beginning stages of being logged, so I won't be shooting any more deer out of there.

Anyways, my highlights for the year so far. I already talked about seeing the bear with my little brother. He hasn't hunted with me since. The other morning while getting dressed at the truck I had an owl swoop at me. All I saw was a dark silhouette as it flew by. Later on I heard it doing some mating calls, which is a pretty unnerving sounds the first time that you hear it. On Halloween I hunted in the first snow storm of the season. Within 15 minutes I watched the woods around me go from brown to white. It was really cool, but the deer weren't moving. This past Tuesday I hunted in the morning and ended up sitting directly below a tree full of roosting turkeys that I hadn't seen. Around daylight they started flying down and scared the heck out of me until I realized what it was. One Jake came in to about 15 yards and I could have drilled him, but fall turkey season is over. Had to watch thanksgiving walk over the hill. That same morning I had a spike buck come in directly behind me. It was misting, so everything was wet and quiet. I never knew he was there until I turned to look over my shoulder and he was 15 yards behind me. Had a little Mexican standoff before he turned and trotted back up the valley. Yesterday morning I went out and didn't see anything until the walk out, when I spotted a big doe feeding on the powerline. The wind was right, and I managed to stalk to within about 50 yards before the wind did a 180 and effectively ended my stalk.

So nothing to exciting so far. We're getting to the best part of the year though so I'm hoping for some rut action here pretty quick. Woke up this morning to 4 inches of snow, so hopefully that will get them going. Good luck to everyone who still has tags to fill!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Haven't really posted much about my season yet since there hasn't been much to post about. No matter where I go, I'm jut not seeing deer. Spits that were hot in previous years aren't even showing sign this year. One of my spots is in the beginning stages of being logged, so I won't be shooting any more deer out of there.
So nothing to exciting so far. We're getting to the best part of the year though so I'm hoping for some rut action here pretty quick. Woke up this morning to 4 inches of snow, so hopefully that will get them going. Good luck to everyone who still has tags to fill!
I got a tip that may work for you on Midwest Whitetails...
I was in the same situation years ago when the land I Bowhunted was being logged out. Actually I was surprised when I found bucks a lot closer to my starting point when by accident I kicked them up
on the edge of a soybean field in some high weeds by almost tripping on some dirt clods in the field and making enough noise with my boots where they jumped up and slowly galloped away towards a woodlot. As I inspected the spot I found a lot of big beds where they had also been feeding in the daytime hiding place making it a quite convenient place. I guess the deer temporarily switched bedding grounds to avoid the loggers noise.
The season is late this year,.. and I've usually always went by when the leaves are off the trees by the 1st week of November and the cold nights are repetitious, that's when the November Rut has usually begun. Even I'm not out bowhunting like I used to go I would still go by the deer to react accordingly once the leaves are down to begin their serious rutting. As you know that is the best time to see Bucks roaming areas they normally don't go to when looking for receptive does and can be out and about at anytime during the daylight hours, even at high noon you can expect these big rut crazed WT bucks up and about,.. so to take advantage of it be out there all day long if you can. I used to take a week off work intentionally to hunt the Rut and every free moment I could get to hunt at this time. It will greatly put the odds in your favor to arrow a buck. Also I should remind you of food sources, because that is where you will find deer. Crop fields, Acorn masses. look for where leaves are scattered and messed up where deer have been eating nuts, but try to stay out of brushy areas or known bedding areas. Instead of finding patterns now for deer, look for areas that funnel deer towards bedding and feeding areas and known trails & spots where Doe's frequently visit. And if you find a scrape being used that is 1 free shot if you watch it from sunrise to sundown.
Good luck and hope you can tag a buck soon!
gas56
Outfitter

Scouting for a Whitetail Buck

Post by gas56 »

Well it's that time now,.. the leaves are changing colors, the cold weather has somewhat started, and there's a Whitetail buck with my name on it... ha ha
At least I hope so! I'm going back to the place I grew up on, so I know this place like the back of my hand.
But I still have to have a look to see what the deer are doing, and today according to the neighbor there's a Black Bear that's been spotted roaming around the area.
I guess it must like the dense understory and soybean crops because they are very rare around North East Ohio, but they have been trying to make a comeback
for the last few decades to these parts. Anyways lets get started going through the back yard because all I'm carrying today is a camera.
I use to mow this place,... and now a lot of it has just grown over, but sometimes the deer will stay right here.
There's a Soybean field on the left and heading down the old path that leads to the right into the first woodlot, usually the leaves have fallen off most trees by this time of the year
It's been raining on and off today and clouded over, but it's barely sprinkling now but still dreary and warm
This area is pretty brushy and thick so I'm going to avoid it anyways cuz I don't want to spook up any bedded deer
I'm going to go through this small woodlot without making too much noise
Something was tearing the heck out of the leaves here but I can't see any tracks, and it's under maples, not oaks
Can you guess what this is? and no they are not quail eggs....... Lol
They are Soybeans at the edge of a cut Soybean field and it looks like there is quite a bit of them laying around yet for the wildlife to feed on
This path leads to the big woods to my left, but I'm heading to the right where the maple stands have grew over where a cropfield use to be 35 years ago,.. wow has it been that long already!
A lot of Maple growth here and I'm just looking for any deer sign
Found a deer trail and a fresh track,.. I'm just gonna mosey my way down this trail to see where it leads to
This trail doesn't look like a cow path but it looks like something is using it
Looks like something big has bedded down here recently. I'm moving pretty slow so I hope I don't jump anything
What the heck gnawed 6 feet up on this cottonwood tree, it sure isn't no buck rub,.. ha ha
There are no Porcupines around here. Maybe a bear?
That deer trail got pretty sparse through this area as it looks as though they just browse through it
Those things aren't rabbit turds, probably a doe, usually a buck is clumped all together
Looks like something nibbled the end of this branch and the next photo will show you why it left it's calling card after it rubbed an eye scent gland on it?
A Buck scrape,.. not a real big one though, and looks like there has been more than one visitor, with all them different turds
I've seen some pictures that my sister took of some bucks and there's a real bruiser amongst them that travels this area, but anyone of those bucks could have made that scrape, but more than likely a smaller buck made it by the small size of the scrape, I'll just have to bide my time watching it close for the next few days, you just never know what might show up.
The one thing I haven't seen today is any buck rubs, but it's gonna get dark fast so I better head up to the house before I spook any deer on the move, that's the last thing I want to do.
Last edited by gas56 on November 6th, 2017, 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

HEAVY fog on the half hour drive to the woods this morning (Sunday morning). Fog turned to drizzle, then rain for a while. By the time it was clearing up & looking like a good day, I had to go to work.
This little guy snuck in from behind me to the left. Once he wandered out of the video frame, he only went about 10 yards & came right back to that spot for more corn (there is corn all over in the field, I think he was hamming it up for the camera).
He was probably really hungry from all the exercise he had the day before. It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud at him then. I was in a climbing stand down by the river. He came out about 80 yards from me, messing around in a scrape (I don't think he knew what he was doing). Next thing he is jumping & bouncing all over the place. Disappeared for a few minutes only to re-appear on the far ridge running circles. It was comical as hell.
Forgive my poor video skills - I was juggling everything (read the video description)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnxRsiR ... e=youtu.be
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Great video! Looks like a fun morning.

Seven years ago last night I shot my first deer. I haven't missed a Nov. 5 hunt since and I haven't shot a deer on Nov. 5 since :lol:
Went out anyways, despite the rain that we've been getting pretty much non stop. Saw a few blue jays and a pileated woodpecker, but that was it. My dad and brother, being the good samaritans that they are decided to dump bait in front of my stand so that I would see something. I don't hunt over bait, so I was kinda steamed when I got there and saw apples, corn, and carrots on the ground. Didn't help anyways. If anything it's just going to attract bears.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
paul2012
Tracker

Post by paul2012 »

The MN rifle deer season opened up on Saturday the 4th and I think I can safely say it was a good year. Got a small doe on opening afternoon then tracked down this monster 9 through 2 miles of slash aspen on the second day. They sure do make you work for your birthday presents nowadays. :D

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

paul2012 wrote:The MN rifle deer season opened up on Saturday the 4th and I think I can safely say it was a good year. Got a small doe on opening afternoon then tracked down this monster 9 through 2 miles of slash aspen on the second day. They sure do make you work for your birthday presents nowadays. :D

Nice going!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”