Tell me your favorite RL weapons for hunting!

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Re: Tell me your favorite RL weapons for hunting!

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I find it impressive, that you want to start with bow hunting of all things.
That's very unusual, but when you are a good enough shot I'm all for it.
Interesting choice!
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

MooseHunter330 wrote:I find it impressive, that you want to start with bow hunting of all things.
That's very unusual, but when you are a good enough shot I'm all for it.
Interesting choice!
If he can shoot an apple at 25 yards most of the time and a pie plate at 25 yards every time he is ready to go. One thing I think you will find very important is you release. I recommend you go to a pro shop and ask to try several different brands of releases before deciding. Also decide what type you want, one kind is a wrist strap and the other kind is one you just hold in your hand and clip onto the string. Get what is right for you.
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

Winchester Model 94 .30-30( Christmas present 1974)
Savage Stevens Model 58 12 Ga. bolt action. (Christmas Present 1972)
The only two hunting weapons I've ever owned. They've served my needs for anything I've hunted in Pa. since '72 and both are still with me.
I have a Hoyt Easton Rambo compound bow but I've never used it- It's more of a keepsake in remembrance of the man who used to own it.
paul2012
Tracker

Post by paul2012 »

I'd have to go with:
#1 O/U Shotgun - Franchi Instinct SL 12g
#2 Rifle - Savage Axis XP .243
#3 Bow - PSE Deer Hunter 55lb draw
Runner up m1917 Enfield 30-06 (technically my dad's gun)
JD3006

Post by JD3006 »

So far Ive had in my safe..

Remington 783 .30-06 first rifle and took my first deer with whilst on hunting trip in Canada
Bergara B14 .30-06 - Deer hunting rifle for Reds and Roe in UK, used this whilst I was a Deer manager. excellent accuracy and reliability for work gun
Blaser R8 .338 - Long range and Large game planing to use for Moose and In Africa when I can get the chance.
Sako finlite .243 - another deer gun mainly for smaller Game such as Muntjack and Fox.
Browning B525 12g - for the driven game phesant duck etc.
Marida 12g semi - for fun
Bsa 12g single - first gun
Mossberg 12g pump realtree dipped extended choke for the fox and geese.
CZ 452 .22 and 17hmr

Still have the .30-06 shell from my first deer.

Nicest ive shot and next gun is the Sauer 404

notable mentions ( used but not owned )
- Browning Maral in .30-06 preferred the action to the Blaser as the bolt snaps forward when released instead of needing to be pushed. fast follow up shots.
- Purdy 20G SxS.. just an exquisite gun for driven game. a true gentleman's gun.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

JD3006 wrote:So far Ive had in my safe..

Remington 783 .30-06 first rifle and took my first deer with whilst on hunting trip in Canada
Bergara B14 .30-06 - Deer hunting rifle for Reds and Roe in UK, used this whilst I was a Deer manager. excellent accuracy and reliability for work gun
Blaser R8 .338 - Long range and Large game planing to use for Moose and In Africa when I can get the chance.
Sako finlite .243 - another deer gun mainly for smaller Game such as Muntjack and Fox.
CZ 452 .22 and 17hmr

- Browning Maral in .30-06 preferred the action to the Blaser as the bolt snaps forward when released instead of needing to be pushed. fast follow up shots.
- Purdy 20G SxS.. just an exquisite gun for driven game. a true gentleman's gun.
No way! You have the cz 452 .22! Those are awesome guns. Do you have the Varmint edition? That is what I have and with sk match that huge barrel is almost like having a suppressor on it. :mrgreen:
JD3006

Post by JD3006 »

walt133 wrote:
JD3006 wrote:So far Ive had in my safe..

CZ 452 .22 and 17hmr

No way! You have the cz 452 .22! Those are awesome guns. Do you have the Varmint edition? That is what I have and with sk match that huge barrel is almost like having a suppressor on it. :mrgreen:
No I didnt have the Varmit. but all my rifles are suppressed, which is the Norm back in the UK. Makes a hell of a difference with barrel whip on the larger cals.

Would be ace if the new game allowed with suppressors. but would only let you use them in areas that they are legal, like the European maps and some US state maps.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”