2016/2017 Hunting and trapping season

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
paul2012
Tracker

Re: 2016/2017 Hunting and trapping season

Post by paul2012 »

So I finally managed to compile the best of my trail cam clips from last season and upload them. Enjoy!

Part1:

Part2:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nice videos. Those are some dandy bucks! It's cool seeing the bears and grey fox as well. :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
paul2012
Tracker

Post by paul2012 »

Hopefully I can tag one of those big toms in the next couple of weeks. Managed to pull a season c tag for wisconsin.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Had a pretty good weekend in the woods chasing thunder chickens. I didn't get one (yet) but who can complain about getting to watch the woods come alive in the morning?

Saturday I was up at 5:30 which was a little bit late unfortunately. It was beginning to get light by the time I sat down. My first spot was a bust, although I got to watch some sandhill cranes fly out of the swamp and start feeding in the pasture. I moved on and set up in a small opening in the swamp where I had seen some bird tracks a few days ago. This was a bust too, and once a red squirrel decided to perch right above me and announce my presence to the whole forest, I decided it was time to relocate. At this point I crossed the river and went up onto an old railroad grade. Looking down it, I could see two turkeys feeding probably 500 yards away. I decided to try and close the distance a bit before setting up my decoy and calling. When I had closed to 200 yards, I started calling from behind my decoy. Both birds turned my way and started coming but never made a sound. Unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be. Halfway to me a hawk swooped at them and both took off running for cover. I didn't see them again. I hate when other hunters mess up my hunts. :lol:
I heard just about every bird that we have here that morning EXCEPT turkeys :lol: I heard sandhill cranes, Canadian geese, bald eagle, hawk, ducks, crows, and tons of song birds.

Today I got up at 5:00 and decided to go straight to the spot where I had seen the birds the previous day. I decided that a weapon change was in order so I left the recurve at home and grabbed my longbow. As soon as I got to the grade I could hear a tom gobbling on his roost. He was closer then I thought he would be, so I had to set up the decoy and find a place to sit. I finally got situated rather awkwardly on the steep slope of the grade and began giving a few hen calls just to let him know there were other turkeys around. I heard him fly down, but immediately after heard a hen start cackling up by him. Pulling birds off of live hens is really tough, so I was worried that I wouldn't even get to see him. He finally worked his was towards me, but passed behind me and to my right, never giving me a shot. He looked at my decoy but figured that the live hen was a lot cuter. He was gobbling almost non stop and I got him pretty worked up. He just never committed. All morning from 6:00 to 9:30 he was gobbling within 50 yards of me. He just never came in. It was a really great morning though, and I am planning on trying to ambush him again sometime this week.

Good luck to all those who still have an unpunched tag!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Had a pretty good weekend in the woods chasing thunder chickens. I didn't get one (yet) but who can complain about getting to watch the woods come alive in the morning?

Saturday I was up at 5:30 which was a little bit late unfortunately. It was beginning to get light by the time I sat down. My first spot was a bust, although I got to watch some sandhill cranes fly out of the swamp and start feeding in the pasture. I moved on and set up in a small opening in the swamp where I had seen some bird tracks a few days ago. This was a bust too, and once a red squirrel decided to perch right above me and announce my presence to the whole forest, I decided it was time to relocate. At this point I crossed the river and went up onto an old railroad grade. Looking down it, I could see two turkeys feeding probably 500 yards away. I decided to try and close the distance a bit before setting up my decoy and calling. When I had closed to 200 yards, I started calling from behind my decoy. Both birds turned my way and started coming but never made a sound. Unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be. Halfway to me a hawk swooped at them and both took off running for cover. I didn't see them again. I hate when other hunters mess up my hunts. :lol:
I heard just about every bird that we have here that morning EXCEPT turkeys :lol: I heard sandhill cranes, Canadian geese, bald eagle, hawk, ducks, crows, and tons of song birds.

Today I got up at 5:00 and decided to go straight to the spot where I had seen the birds the previous day. I decided that a weapon change was in order so I left the recurve at home and grabbed my longbow. As soon as I got to the grade I could hear a tom gobbling on his roost. He was closer then I thought he would be, so I had to set up the decoy and find a place to sit. I finally got situated rather awkwardly on the steep slope of the grade and began giving a few hen calls just to let him know there were other turkeys around. I heard him fly down, but immediately after heard a hen start cackling up by him. Pulling birds off of live hens is really tough, so I was worried that I wouldn't even get to see him. He finally worked his was towards me, but passed behind me and to my right, never giving me a shot. He looked at my decoy but figured that the live hen was a lot cuter. He was gobbling almost non stop and I got him pretty worked up. He just never committed. All morning from 6:00 to 9:30 he was gobbling within 50 yards of me. He just never came in. It was a really great morning though, and I am planning on trying to ambush him again sometime this week.

That sounds like quite a fun time! Our season starts this Saturday and of course, I have a final exam at 10:10am :( Go figure lol. The good thing my last final exam is Monday and then I just have a few days of work before I am free to hunt them every day for the remainder of the season 8-)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Had a pretty good weekend in the woods chasing thunder chickens. I didn't get one (yet) but who can complain about getting to watch the woods come alive in the morning?

That sounds like quite a fun time! Our season starts this Saturday and of course, I have a final exam at 10:10am :( Go figure lol. The good thing my last final exam is Monday and then I just have a few days of work before I am free to hunt them every day for the remainder of the season 8-)
I never hunt past 10 for turkeys. I'm sure you can make it if you hurry. Maybe even cut it down to 9:00 if you really need to. :lol:
Way to rub it in. One of the things that I'm looking forward to about college is getting some more mornings off for hunting. :mrgreen:

Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
I never hunt past 10 for turkeys. I'm sure you can make it if you hurry. Maybe even cut it down to 9:00 if you really need to. :lol:
Way to rub it in. One of the things that I'm looking forward to about college is getting some more mornings off for hunting. :mrgreen:
Yea I don't hunt turkeys that late very much either, but that time constraint will bother me, that kind of thing always does :lol:

Regarding college: I set my schedule up so I only had classes 3 days a week, so I could hunt Tuesday and Thursday all day if I wanted (which I never did because I always had to record videos xD )
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Yea I don't hunt turkeys that late very much either, but that time constraint will bother me, that kind of thing always does :lol:

Regarding college: I set my schedule up so I only had classes 3 days a week, so I could hunt Tuesday and Thursday all day if I wanted (which I never did because I always had to record videos xD )
Nice. I set up my schedule for next year so that I'm done by 3 and have fridays off. I might end up missing a class or two during the rut :roll:

Good luck on your turkey!

Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:

Nice. I set up my schedule for next year so that I'm done by 3 and have fridays off. I might end up missing a class or two during the rut :roll:

Good luck on your turkey!
Thanks! Sounds like a 3 day weekend every week, nice!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Limited out. :D
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”