Where do you hunt? Photos, Stories, other stuff!

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Re: Where do you hunt? Photos, Stories, other stuff!

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Should work now.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

This is one place I hunted a lot when I was late teens/early 20's. This was the place, it was thousands of acres of woods, fields, streams, hills, valleys, swamps old orchards. There were civil war battles on and around this old farm and stone walls that lined fields on rolling pastures.
I pulled this screen grab off Google today. It makes me ill to be honest. I actually just got disgusted upon a visit there 10-15 years ago. It sickens me :(

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

That sucks. I absolutely hate people who look at the woods and only see it as something to pave over and put houses on. They don't realize that there's more meaning to areas such as your old farm than just streets and sidewalks.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

One of the things that is different here than in UK, EU, I don't think they could do this so easily. The entire landscape was altered, streams eliminated, roads, gone, hills cut down. This place was navigated by a mix of narrow paved and dirt roads and in places you had to cross a creek. It's all gone, wiped from the earth and in only a matter of years. This is just a small picture of the area, but I'm talking an area close to 40 square miles of country, pastures, grazing cattle. ~ Scary just how easily it seemed to happen.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The older you get the more you can see how much this is happening all over the country from the time of 1st finding these uninhabited stretches of hunting lands.
You would get a landowners permission and have hundreds of acres at you disposal to hunt, fish, camp & recreation.
They dwindle to urban development . Once huge farms & forests that were dissected, are now split into small sections for residential, business, & cities outgrowth.
So now if you can't get access to private lands as it once was... the alternative is state hunting & fishing lands. Cherish these pockets of wilderness.
I just hope the future for the next generations of outdoorsmen just don't diminish over losing opportunities as fellow sportsmen and myself have experienced as our unofficial tenure to protect the great outdoors, environment & wildlife still remains open to see the wonders of this remarkable world.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I'm only 17 and I've already seen tons of the areas that I hunt destroyed by loggers and developers. It really ticks me. It makes me glad that I live in a still fairly remote area with lots of wild areas to hunt still.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

I live in south central PA where my great grandfather used to tell me stories of how the town was once farmland for the dutch and woods. The man who owned this was a doctor and donated most of it to build a school. After he died, the government took over his property and built a large town around it. Now you are lucky to even see the woods here in South central PA. It just disgusts me.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

While looking through some old photos, I found this picture of me and my first roe buck :D

Thing is, this isn't my first roe deer. I took my first roe deer a day before. My father set me up in the woods-facing corner of a triangular field.
There was a big meadow with nothing but clover (?) in front of my stand. For a while, nothing happened. And I mean nothing. After around 2 hours,
a roe deer doe entered the meadow from the right. My dad instructed me to wait, because there could have been bucks around. So, this roe deer was moving around the meadow,
grazing, moving into the woods just to come back out again. I watched this for a while, until I noticed movement on the ridgeline in front of me.
It was a huge buck. And I mean huge. It's antlers were higher than it's ears and it was a heavy buck. But, since I'm a responsible shooter, I decided to keep on waiting.
Waiting almost paid off, as a small buck appeared behind me. I soon realized, that there was no point in hoping to take it, since it started to bark and slowly trot away.
After almost 3 1/2 hours, my dad and I decided, that I should take the doe. I got my dad's .222 CZ527 ready and prepared for the shot. After hearing the click of the safety,
the deer stared at me and slowly turned broadside. After I took the shot, the deer ran off. Seemingly unharmed. We didn't find any blood on the spot, either.
We decided, to go home and get the dog. For once, she proved useful. After a while, we found a blood trail with lung-blood. After a bit of tracking, the track led into a
thick undergrowth consisting mainly of strawberries. Following the blood trail for around 20 meters (It felt like 200), I found the deer and dragged it out.
It turned out, that the .222 hit both lungs. That's what caused the 80m flight.

The following day, my father and I were out again. This time on a lower stand along the treeline, facing a field, that led into a knoll. The main reason for this spot was, that
the canola growing on it was very fresh, so it'd be a feast for roe deer.
The main movement in the first hour consisted mostly of rabbits and a lot of jays. After that, two young bucks showed up.
They were fooling around and soon disappeared behind the hill.
Now, I gotta say, that this day was much more quiet than the other one.
There were still lots of small game animals around. I used the time to try out shooting poses, because the stand had close to no rest at all.
After that, a young wild boar appeared to my right. It didn't stay there for very long, because it still was very bright.
Soon, one of the smaller bucks appeared again and my dad and I agreed to take it. It slowly walked along the knoll, while being on the
constant lookout for older bucks.
As he slowly moved onto the field, I readied my rifle (same .222) and waited for the deer to stop.
When the deer stopped, I didn't wait long and took the shot. The roe dropped right on the spot. I quickly chambered a new round and watched for around 10 minutes.
As we looked for the buck, it had almost disappeared in the thick vegetation.
When we inspected the deer, we figured that the shot entered at the shoulder blade, scratched the right lung and cut right through the spine between both shoulder blades.

The following day (yes the deer is field dressed), we took this photo :)
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

@ MooseHunter330
I made this photo slide show of my local area.
It isn't exactly what I wanted to show you, but I took these old photos off my hard drive storage, and maybe this year I can take better views of my stomping grounds... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC4OnJD ... e=youtu.be
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Cool video gas.
Great story MooseHunter. I'll never forget my first deer either. When I get the chance, I'll post that story.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”