Where do you hunt? Photos, Stories, other stuff!

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Re: Where do you hunt? Photos, Stories, other stuff!

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

I actually don't take a lot of pictures, only when the view is amazing I do, which is usually sunrises or sunsets. Here's some, I'll try to get more when I go there again.

(Aoudad Sheep in the bottom right corner :D, it's not where I hunt but It's very close, went to visit one day and saw this guys.)

Stories... hmm, it'll take a while to actually remember an interesting one.
Spoiler:

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I shot my first deer on November 5, 2010, at 5:18pm. I'll never forget that exact date and time. I was hunting with my grandpa back in the cedar swamp behind his house. All summer we had been watching a decent seven point and a six point that came out in his pasture every night, and we're hoping to find one of them. It was cold, windy, and spitting snow. I was sitting in the blind when my grandpa, who could see farther to my left because of the angle he was sitting at, told me there was a buck. I didn't believe him since he says something like that about every ten minutes. I leaned over and was really surprised to see the seven point standing there staring at the blind. Disclaimer: What follows is something that I would not recommend. I have never attempted or done it since that night. However, circumstances dictated that I do it. I used a crossbow. I wasn't strong enough to pull a legal weight hunting bow yet. Anyway, now that that's out of the way. I had the crossbow in my lap, watching the deer. Grandpa had slowly lowered the window while the buck was looking away. However, I was was frozen. I had gone the rough this scenario a million times in my head, but I completely froze up. Grandpa reaching over and clicking if the safety snapped me back to it and I settled the scope on the deer just as he turned to leave. I rushed the shot a bit in my excitement, but the bolt still caught both lungs. The deer took off and I began shaking like a leaf. After waiting fifteen minutes, we went and recovered the deer. He died on an island right in he middle of the river. It took about two hours to get him out, but it was worth every second.

Here he is. I was 12 years old.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Nice story, Instinctive Archer!
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

some pics from the area I hunt
a river in the area I hunt (actually the property line)
and if you look through the woods you see a field in this pic which is the place where I killed my first deer.
and the south end of the lake I fish in (private lake)

and all this within a mile of my house :)
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Wow, looks great! Looks like great terrain for stalking with bow and arrow. Do you hunt hogs as well or just deer?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Wow, looks great! Looks like great terrain for stalking with bow and arrow. Do you hunt hogs as well or just deer?
on that particular piece of land there are no hogs (thankfully) but theres another piece of land a few counties over that if pretty much infested with hogs... probably 5x as many hogs as deer.
no hogs there and if there ever is I wont rest till they aren't there. theyre a nuisance where I live and almost as hated as coyotes (rooting up farmland)

ive only bow hunted hogs a few times. once I got charged it was only a bluff but I haven't left my .270 out of hog hunting since
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Yep. Hogs can be trouble. We often get confrontations on Drive Hunts here. Once, when I was a driver, a Hog broke out of the brush 2m in Front of me and bulldozed the guy in Front of me. Luckily, it was no big one, so he could get up without any flesh wounds.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

I've always wanted to hunt hogs. There aren't many up here in Michigan, which I'm thankful for.

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Just made a new video and thought I'd revive this old thread.
Also I'm too lazy to start a new one.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I've got a story for y'all...

My 1st time deer hunting with a bow.

I was 12yrs old shooting a brand new Browning Cobra compound bow. I was very proud of that bow & deadly on the target range with it!
My great uncle took me to one of his favorite spots in the Oley Valley of Pennsylvania. I as well as a couple other guys were going to be on stand at one end of the woods while 4 more guys started at the other end driving towards us.
I settled into a little grove about 30yds wide that the surrounding trees were covered in Mountain Laurel. I was all camo'd up, hunkered into a clump of the laurel & waited. About 30min later I hear the voices of my uncle & his buddies as they talk loudly as they walk towards my stand. I also start to hear the pound of deer hooves. Suddenly a spikey buck emerges at the other end of the clearing & stops. I come to full draw, start to aim & the buck takes off running to my left. Having no confidence in my ability to hit a running target I let him go.
A few more min pass & I can start to make out patches of blaze orange through the woods as my uncle gets close so I stand up. Just then a 6-8pt buck emerges on the other side of the clearing. My arrow was still knocked so once again I come to full draw. I was just starting to settle the pin on him when he broke into a run... straight at me! I panic a bit thinking I am about to be gored or trampled! The buck was about 10ft away still running straight for me at full speed when I release, not to harvest a game animal but in self defense!!
The arrow streaking at him looked good & I thought it was sure to hit when the buck dipped down low, the arrow passing over his back & he jumped to the right clearing me by 5ft or so.

So yeah... my 1st shot at a deer with a bow I missed at a range of about 5ft...

Return to “The Great Outdoors”