Oklahoma Whitetailed Deer

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
TommyCaller

Oklahoma Whitetailed Deer

Post by TommyCaller »

I shot a good whitetail here in Oklahoma with a 19 1/2" spread and 13 points and a very nice 4 x 4 Arizona Mule deer. I am going to try to add the pic but I am not sure if I know how to.
Rob
Tracker

Re: Oklahoma Whitetailed Deer

Post by Rob »

Make an account at photobucket,upload your pics there and use the [img] codes from the album and paste them here. Try using the preview option for your posts here to make sure you have it right. Hope that helps
TommyCaller

Post by TommyCaller »

The day started at 4:30 AM and I got ready and drove to my friends ranch. I parked the truck and headed up the ridge to my tower blind which overlooks a pasture with a pond in the far end. I was in the stand at 6:00 AM and immediately started glassing through the morning darkness. I saw deer right away crossing the field although it was way too dark to make out what they were. As the daylight progressed, the deer ended up being does that remained in the meadow for the next hour. Over the coarse of the morning and into early afternoon, I had deer movement all around me. I only spotted a small 6 point buck with the rest being does and at least one unidentifyable deer that was over the hill from me. The rut was in full swing and I knew it would be a matter of time and one of the many bucks we had on trail cameras would show up. From 1:00 pm until 4:20, I did not see anything but I could hear deer walking in the woods along the field edge below me. I hunt with my binoculars, a nice pair of 7 x 42 Leica range finders, almost entirely. There are not many times during the day that I am without the glasses pressed against my eyes. I pick apart the brush from one end of the landscape and back again, over and over all day long. This has proven successful for me many, many times. I also have a pair of Zeiss 15 x 60's that I use for long range glassing, but I did not have them with me on this day. I picked apart the brush below my stand with the binos and would also look and check the field every so often. At 4:30, I turned and looked into the field and the buck was standing there like a statue. He almost looked like a fake as I had just checked the field a few moments earlier and saw nothing. His wide rack was way out past the ears and I slowly reached down and raised my rifle. I dropped the buck with a single well placed shot from my 300 Winchester magnum. After 10 1/2 hours on stand I was elated to say the least. This was a buck that we had on the cameras that was only showing himself in the cover of darkness. The rut had taken him off guard and caused him to make the fatal error. He has nearly a 20" inside spread and should score very close to 160" I have added a couple of photos of the deer now that I have figured out how to do so. I also added an Arizona Muley I shot on November 5th, but that is another story that I may tell later.

Rob
Tracker

Post by Rob »

Nice ones Tom! Esp like the mule from Arizona! Thanks for sharing,which part of Okla?
Fabled Foe
Hunter

Post by Fabled Foe »

Them sure are pretty animals.
nogood24

Post by nogood24 »

very nice :mrgreen:
TommyCaller

Post by TommyCaller »

Thanks for the comments! This was a great year for for me. Here are a few more pics from this year.

Rob
Tracker

Post by Rob »

Is that a Tarpin in middle shots? Very nice!
TommyCaller

Post by TommyCaller »

The fish is a 100 pound halibut. I caught the fish and shot the bear on the same day in May of this year. The bear makes it into Boone and Crockett records. I shot the antelope in New Mexico in August. I had a heck of a year.
Rob
Tracker

Post by Rob »

Heck of a year indeed! Can you eat Halibut that big?

Return to “The Great Outdoors”