Hunting stories

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Fabled Foe
Hunter

Hunting stories

Post by Fabled Foe »

Share your hunting stories.
Fabled Foe
Hunter

Re: Hunting stories

Post by Fabled Foe »

A reminder of reality...

One time I was out huntin' squirrels, not really huntin', but mopin' through the woods. Scoutin' i guess you could say, and if I ran into some squirrels I tried to get'em.(Private land)

So I'm lookin' up in the tree's, the sky was clear and had a little chill in the air, and I'm lookin' around the base of the tree's when I see this board.

As you know you wanna be careful moving stuff in the woods or risk the business end of a mean rattler or worse, so Islowly peak up under the board and see there's a hole, but not a burrow type hole a manmade hole. The only way to see to the bottom was to lift the board all the way off. So I kicked the board off and step back real quick like.

Nothin' came out so I crept up on it and not to my suprise, sure enough there was a snake in there, looked like a big ole water bandit or black snake couldn't tell. But i think it was a big black racer.

For a minute that was all I saw because i was trying to identify it... Then I saw it had a big knot it in's belly... Then what I saw caught me off guard, the snake was coiled up in a pack of baby kittens.

My best guess is that that lump was one of those kittens, and the snake was mommying up to them so it had a constant suppy of food for the winter.

I chased the snake off and set the kttens on the ground to go there own way.
Cope

Post by Cope »

Oh man that's wild!
Your story reminds me of when I was a kid we had a bull snake as a pet in the house. We use to go out rattle snake hunting to keep them back away from the livestock. We came across this bull snake on one of these trips. He was I think around 4 ft or so. I have a picture of me and him somewhere. Well anyway, he lived in our house, but not in a cage, we just let him loose in the house. (This would really freak out my dad's girlfriends :P ) But my cat had kittens, and he was starting to go after them, so then he went to live in the barn, lol
Fabled Foe
Hunter

Post by Fabled Foe »

Those things almost look like vipers. I don't guess you had much trouble with rats around the barn. :)
Cope

Post by Cope »

Nope, lol, that barn was rat free! It was so much fun to run around with that snake and surprize people. :twisted:
Fabled Foe
Hunter

Post by Fabled Foe »

I use to have a big ole yellow rat snake, i dunno 'bout 4-5 feet long, somewhere round there. Anyways one halloween, when I was about 15 I thought it'd be cool to run around trick or treating without a shirt and with the snake draped around my neck and shoulders... It did scare alot of people.

Later that night when we were suppose to get picked up, i was a little late to the place I was suppose to be and saw the van driving away... I started running and yelling to get the drivers attention... The saw me and I caught my ride.

When i get in the van i feel this pinching on my chest... I turned on the over head light and that snake was hanging on by biting me. The idea that a snake was biting me scared me more than there was pain, but it did kinda hurt when I pulled him off, because his mouth was wide open and it probably couldn't let go. But I had a mark there for awhile.

It's been a long time since I've done the snake thing though, at one point I was gonna go hunting for rattlers for their hide and venom to sell, and while I was researching them, how to tan their hides and where to sell it all to, I came to respect them and their usefulness... I'll still kill a rattler if it's in my path, but i won't hunt'em for no reason outside of my safety or the safety of others, or like in your case to protect your investment.
Progolfer25

Post by Progolfer25 »

Before I went hunting I was a boy scout and loved to go camping. The camps in northern New Jersey have a few snakes and we've seen a few rattle snakes. The fist year i attend this camp called Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco. I still go there every so often. The camp is well known because it was the site where they shot the first Friday the 13th movie. The first day at camp they make you take a swim test and they scare you by telling you there are snakes in the water,which every so often there are, but today it wasn't snakes. While swimming this mud covered item rose out of the water. It scared the hell out of us all. It was a Jason mask from when they shot the movie. There are still some masks and dummies on the bottom of the lake they never bothered to go get.
Fabled Foe
Hunter

Post by Fabled Foe »

As soon as you said the name of the camp i thought "Why does that sound so familiar?" then you went on to explain. Cool story.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”