best choke tube for trap shooting

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
marlin45
Spotter

best choke tube for trap shooting

Post by marlin45 »

i'm getting into competition trap shooting and I need to get a new choke tube for my 12 gauge. I have a Berretta a300 outlander waterfowl model with the 28" barrel. it has the 3 shot mag plug in it but I don't see why that would matter. there are guys that compete with single shots. up until now, I've only shot pasture clays. that's where the thrower is either right next to you or somewhere behind you. i'm pretty sure exhibition shooting with a shotgun also counts as pasture clays. I normally use an improved cylinder choke when I shoot pasture clays and i'm used to shooting early before the clay gets out too far. I know that with trap shooting, the thrower is already a certain distance in front of you and then the clay flies from there on. the range im going to be trap shooting at has their thrower about 28 yards from the furthest shooting position. i'm thinking about getting a light modified choke. can you guys think of anything else?

my record shooting pasture clays is 87 out of 89 clays. I didn't have another shell to shoot at the 90th clay. I use Rio 1-1/8 ounce size 8 low brass.

thanks!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: best choke tube for trap shooting

Post by Radamus »

I shoot trap with a 32" barrel and have a slew of tubes (read - sucker)- there's a tube every couple thousandth's of difference, which imo is just ridiculous but that's what it is. People will over analyze it to death when in all practicality, I like something along the lines of a little tighter than modified.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
tazzietiger1966
Hunter

Post by tazzietiger1966 »

improved modified
marlin45
Spotter

Post by marlin45 »

Radamus wrote:I shoot trap with a 32" barrel and have a slew of tubes (read - sucker)- there's a tube every couple thousandth's of difference, which imo is just ridiculous but that's what it is. People will over analyze it to death when in all practicality, I like something along the lines of a little tighter than modified.
aren't chokes in 5 thou increments?
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

It depends on the brand, it could be it's 5 thou breaks? I'm not sure. I think there are a couple industry standards but then some like to get creative. I like when they give the measurement so you can compare it but not all do like it's a secret.
The other factor is forcing cone length, I have a couple extended ones for steel shot which is a cool way to go plus adds a little bit of effective barrel length.

edit: I just looked at Briley and all they're breaks are in .05" steps -
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
DerrickDude
Tracker

Post by DerrickDude »

It has been a very long time for me since I shot any competitions. I seem to remember having specific rules pertaining to choke size and barrel length. Of course that may have been for the particular league I was in or things have changed over the years. I haven't shot in any skeet or trap competitions since 1987.

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

To be honest, I wouldn't shoot trap with a semi-automatic. I have my O/U 12ga. With 1/2 and 1/1 Chokes. Works out Extremely well for me.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Comanche6

Post by Comanche6 »

2 tips I've learned:

Mix shot sizes in your shell bag or pockets. That way, you don't know what you're shooting. Teaches you to concentrate on what you are doing without getting hung up on the ammo or just in case they don't have your brand.

For chokes, it's really down to personal preference. Sure there are recommended chokes but the debate is endless, as are the factors such as shot velocity/shot brand/barrel length/to bead or not to bead/raised rib height etc etc etc. An old timer at the club suggested I don't analyze them to death. He told me to install the tightest chokes I had and work backwards from there until I felt comfortable (i.e. started to post consistent scores). Sounded crazy at the time but the guy was shooting near perfect with a 40 year old 28" Winchester 1400 goose gun with a built-in full choke, and his eyesight was bad.

In short, learn how to use your particular gun. The flip side is you can become a gear ****** who can't shoot worth a damn.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”