2014-2015 hunting/trapping season

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
JamesMc
Tracker

Re: 2014-2015 hunting/trapping season

Post by JamesMc »

Can't wait for hunting season to open. I'm waiting for heart surgery and I missed most of last season. This year I don't care, heart or not I'm in the woods. I managed to get some Grouse last year but didn't get out for my deer. No Moose tag for me or my friends so it's all deer and birds this fall. I might start trying for Coyote as well. Lots of them around.
Rexpress
Scout

Post by Rexpress »

40 pigeons is serious fun!

I took a shot at a fox last night, season is about to open in 5 days but pups are legal. I missed.

I don't even.....

:|
Master Hunter
Outfitter

Post by Master Hunter »

Good luck for the upcoming season.
Rexpress
Scout

Post by Rexpress »

Thanks man.

Not a bad start.
Master Hunter
Outfitter

Post by Master Hunter »

Awesome, great stuff.

Do you keep the tails?
REZ325
Hunter
Location: Hanging out the paratroop door of the Mighty C-130 Hercules

Post by REZ325 »

@Rexpress, I noticed a lot of your weapon systems are suppressed. What's your weapon of choice, and load? Besides the noise issue and spooking game, why do you supress. I noticed a lot of your rifles have them on.
Rexpress
Scout

Post by Rexpress »

Master Hunter wrote:Awesome, great stuff.

Do you keep the tails?
Thanks man.

No I don't. Sometimes I think I should but fur wise, only the december-february foxes are worth keeping. Reason is that the fur is very loose in the summer/spring/fall, and tend to rugg off and look like crap very easily. And also, I'd get too many tails as the years go by. I do however like scull trophies so I make and keep those that are really big or have an interesting story behind them.
Rexpress
Scout

Post by Rexpress »

REZ325 wrote:@Rexpress, I noticed a lot of your weapon systems are suppressed. What's your weapon of choice, and load? Besides the noise issue and spooking game, why do you supress. I noticed a lot of your rifles have them on.
I only have one silencer. This is used on my Sauer 202 system. I use a 308 barrel and a 223 barrel. The supressed one is the 223. The main personal reason for getting it was reducing the ruckus of me killing prey near housing. Foxes and roes usually turn up near urban areas or farms. Scaring the inhabitans proved to be a bad idea. For the same reason I chose a less powerful calibre and a v-max bullet (currently hornadys own load, 55 gr) for less riccoschets and faster death to the animals.

Other than that silencers are getting very popular in sweden since they became legal (need to apply though). Reasons for this is the added precision (the added weight makes the barrel movement lesser and more "alike" every shot, hence making for greater accuracy), earcuffs or whatever becomes unnecessary, saving both you and to some extent dogs you hunt with from hearing damage. It also seriously cuts 40-60% of the recoil off, making a 308 sound and kick like a 22 WM. Not to forget one of the most important aspects, you eliminate the gunflash and this means that you are NOT blind after firing at pigs/foxes/badgers at your feeder at night. You see what happens and where they go off to.
Rexpress
Scout

Post by Rexpress »

This has been a rough, tough and ill timed season so far. But a nice double kind of weighted it up to positive now.

A small female, shot straight into the front chest at 160 meters. No exitwound.

At last a farmer decided to crop the hayfields and the result was this two days ago. F'ing finally!
Master Hunter
Outfitter

Post by Master Hunter »

Been hunting hard :)

Return to “The Great Outdoors”