The best GTX 1080?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
\m/
Outfitter

Re: The best GTX 1080?

Post by \m/ »

Why a 750w psu? System should be running around 400-450w under max load, at idle around 150-180w?
Even with a xtreme oced i7 and with only one 1080ftw active (also manual oced, second disabled via onboard slot switch) , 4 ssd raid 0 my system takes only 480w at max load on all cores + gpu + ram (using a digital psu which shows the actual w in realtime).
Now offline. Forever.
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

\m/ wrote:Why a 750w psu? System should be running around 400-450w under max load, at idle around 150-180w?
Even with a xtreme oced i7 and with only one 1080ftw active (also manual oced, second disabled via onboard slot switch) , 4 ssd raid 0 my system takes only 480w at max load on all cores + gpu + ram (using a digital psu which shows the actual w in realtime).
Well, my i7, 16 GB, 2 SSD, 2 HDD, 1 Blu-Ray/DVD combo + 1 GTX Titan X failed to run on 650W PSU (Chieftec CPS650S-80+). All fixed when i replaced the PSU with a Chieftec CPS 750S-80+. So.... who knows?!
Spoiler:

\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

Seems like you had a monday-model, a 650w psu (if its not a noname psu) can handle the w and a-peaks normally easily for a single cpu&gpu system. But who knows :)
Now offline. Forever.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

True that, \m/. People tend to buy massive PSUs that go sub-utilized, precisely where they are the least efficient.
My current PC has a 430W PSU (Corsair) and I'll be dammed if it ever reaches 300W, even when the RX 480 is drawing close to 140W.
Spoiler:
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

Current pc has also a corsair psu, at digital psu's corsair is my absolute favorit. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supp ... /ax-series

AX1200i ..1200w, but the reason for the buy was not really the w. The psu-fan is only running at 30%+ psu-usage (means around 360w), under 30% its complete passive cooled / 0 rpm - means real silent. Its a digital one (and has a realtime monitor of v+w+a in windows), and is platinum certified (less heat).
One real big + for me is that digital psu's deliver really stable voltages which is very important for xtreme oc.
There are 760, 860, 1200 and 1500w (all i models) available. The 1200w model fits perfect for me cuz cpu/gpus are watercooled, board has big passive coolers ..means while normal desktop-usage (under 360w) the whole system is complete silent. Only while gaming with one or two cards the psu fan is slowly silent running.
Now offline. Forever.
CodeBlue
Tracker

Post by CodeBlue »

JackRbbt wrote:Looks like a decent build, but 650W PSU should be "on the edge" on heavy loads.
Nvidia recommends a total system power of 500W. System wattage usage isn't as high as most people think, heck theHunter doesn't even pull 250w on my core I7 system with 2 x SSD, 3 x hard drive, 1 x blu ray and 3 additional fans, GTA V doesn't even exceed 305W system usage on my system and that's with an older Nvidia card that according to Nvida pulls 230W max, versus 180W for the GTX 1080.

No, 650w is more than plenty.
JackRbbt wrote:Well, my i7, 16 GB, 2 SSD, 2 HDD, 1 Blu-Ray/DVD combo + 1 GTX Titan X failed to run on 650W PSU (Chieftec CPS650S-80+). All fixed when i replaced the PSU with a Chieftec CPS 750S-80+. So.... who knows?!
For your information, a Titan X pulls 250w and Nvidia recommends 600w for the system and that 600w is 600w with a very safe margin. My card only pulls 20w less and I've never seen the system power usage exceed 350W. On top of that the fact that you picked a "no-name" brand like Chieftec isn't helping either. 650w on a Chieftec is not of the same quality output that you're getting on a Super Flower 650w, not even close. A PSU shouldn't just be able to deliver 650w, but should also deliver that 650W with a high quality output (stable voltages, minimal ripple/noise) or that 650W isn't worth anything. ;)
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

want cold and quiet? buy an aquarium, remove all the fans from your components, put them in the aquarium, fill the aquarium with mineral oil. and never ever ever try to move it. i can imagine 8 gallons of oil on an interiour floor is gona casue a nightmare carpet or wood floor :p. obviosly not a real suggestion but some people do it.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Some people go to extremes with cooling. I've read a couple of articles about people submerging components for cooling purposes and, although it's intriguing, in reality it's not very practical. The thought of submerging electrical components in any sort of fluid is pretty daunting and you would have to be in a position to afford to replace a few expensive components in the event of things going pear shaped.

I've read a few articles about the use of liquid nitrogen for CPU and GPU cooling too. It's pretty interesting stuff and a very effective way to achieve extremely low operating temperatures, but just how cold do you need your CPU or GPU to be?

I've got a separate loop for cooling my GPUs and the temperatures under load are extremely low. If I was only running a single GPU though, now that I have plenty of experience with watercooling, I would just opt for an air cooled card. Some of the modern cards are extremely quiet and offer great cooling performance at roughly the same noise levels of the fans you would stick on your radiator for a watercooling equivalent.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

ive thought about a liquid heat sink a few times but tbh touch wood ive never had an issue with overheating. my case fans and on board heat management has been fine even when im playing the most demanding games. all i do is strip my pc down every 4 months or so and clean it with my painting airbrush without any paint. got a moisture trap so its pure clean air and its works a treat. just got to remember to stop the fans or that can over rev and damage bearings.
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

JackRbbt wrote:
\m/ wrote:Why a 750w psu? System should be running around 400-450w under max load, at idle around 150-180w?
Well, my i7, 16 GB, 2 SSD, 2 HDD, 1 Blu-Ray/DVD combo + 1 GTX Titan X failed to run on 650W PSU (Chieftec CPS650S-80+). All fixed when i replaced the PSU with a Chieftec CPS 750S-80+. So.... who knows?!
Lucky, I lost a PC to lighting just before the 680 released for the 580 I had them quote a 700W, they weren't in stock and nothing bigger was either because the 680 was releasing soonish. Ended up getting a 1200W.

Bit overkill atm, since I could probably use a 600W atm lol.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”