GPU

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: GPU

Post by Fletchette »

Buckkiller4 wrote:I think i'll go with the 1060 then, thanks for everyone's inputs!
The 1060 is a good choice.

Now you need to decide whether to get a single fan or double fan model. Double is better cooling, but is obviously a longer card so you need to know whether it will fit in your case.

Next you need to be sure your power supply (PSU) is big enough to power the new card. These cards have a max draw of 120-150 watts, so you probably need to have at least a 400 watt PSU. Are you removing an existing graphics card, or were you using onboard graphics (Intel HDxxxx).

Finally you need to decide on brand. Most of the major brands are good, (ASUS, EVGA, MSI, etc.). Both Amazon and NewEgg have several different models from each manufacturer in stock, so it's really just a personal preference. Price will probably be in the $225-$275 range depending on the model you choose.
Personal Bests...
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Normally I would always recommend EVGA for graphics cards, but the Zotac GTX 1060 AMP Edition runs pretty cool and Zotac also offers a 5 year warranty (at least they do in the UK / EU, you might want to check warranty info in the States).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6814500403
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

Here in the states it's only a one year warranty but that's ok. Like Fletchette said, i'll have to check my PSU and my case size so we'll see which one I get. I was previously using onboard Intel HD 1440 Graphics, which is not as good as it sounds, so that is what i'll be using until I get a 1060. Thanks for everyone's input!
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

My advice would be to wait for a little longer. AMD is about to launch new Radeon Vega architecture, on a full line of graphic cards. If the predictions made by experts and preliminary tests are half true, then will be a significant drop on prices for NVidia-based graphic cards (25-30%, at least). So, with same money you buy today an 1060, you may buy an 1070. ;)
Spoiler:

Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

This is just my opinion:
-if you are playing only Classic and your current GPU works fine I wouldn`t change anything unless something happens with the game in the future and you need to upgrade.
-if you are playing only Classic and your current GPU is not working fine I wouldn`t go over 1060. In that case even Mini option would do (I got Zotac Mini GTX 1060 6GB RAM for 250€ on Amazon.de). As far as the Classic I was playing it with AMD A10-7850K (R7 integrated graphics) without GPU and had descent performance.
- if you are going to play new games such as COTW, BF1, Arma 3, Battlegrounds or similar than you should upgrade everything: CPU to i7 generation (7700k), RAM to 16GB, GTX at least 1070 and hard drive to SSD.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”