Which operating system do you guys use?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
huntergatherer

Which operating system do you guys use?

Post by huntergatherer »

Hey Guys

Big fan of the game, which operating system do you guys use to run it?

I'm thinking of switching and it would be cool to hear your experiences.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Which operating system do you guys use?

Post by Tanngnjostr »

There once was a poll about this question, started in October 2015 (you could change your choice later, so some people might have done this), almost half of the players already use Windows 10 and I guess the percentage is much higher nowadays: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=68792

I use Windows 10 Professional, but since I'm not very tech savvy, I better not give advice. ;)
Image Image Image
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Windows 10 it´s full of spyware but if you don´t mind that MS is collecting a lot of information about you (which is why it was released for "free") it works well.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

knott wrote:Windows 10 it´s full of spyware but if you don´t mind that MS is collecting a lot of information about you (which is why it was released for "free") it works well.
The first thing you should do when running Windows 10 is to change all "privacy" setting and disable / de-install some of the included software - and use a third-party firewall. There's a lot of advice on the internet how to avoid Microsoft's "spyware".
Image Image Image
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

I had windows 10 before, But updates bother me a lot. Then I come back to win 7.
There is no matter which version of windows you have. As soon as you connect to the internet, your information is compromised!

Maybe you block some apps and install a firewall, but your information will save somewhere on some of those big companies data centers!

Anyway, this is my opinion and maybe it's wrong! :D
Season Stats
Spoiler:
huntergatherer

Post by huntergatherer »

Hmm yea I totally agree about the spyware issue. Windows is full of it. It's one of the reasons I think I will switch to Linux. I stumbled upon this article about linux: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/serv ... o-windows/. It was quite interesting.

It's definitely true that there is less spyware and the security is much better for Linux compared to Windows. However I'm not sure how it works with The Hunter, in terms of the updates and the compatibility. If anybody has experience with this it would be great if you can share your experience.
Longmann
Scout

Re: RE: Re: Which operating system do you guys use?

Post by Longmann »

huntergatherer wrote:I'm not sure how it works with The Hunter, in terms of the updates and the compatibility. If anybody has experience with this it would be great if you can share your experience.
I don't think you will be able to find a way for theHunter work there. I was using Linux for several years but the only way to run theHunter was in virtualbox with Windows which is a bad solution.
SteamOS would be the best option but it doesn't support this game.
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I run an Acer AMD system with AMD Dual Graphics, originally win7.
When win 10 came out I ran the Microsoft compatibility tool and it came up with the result that my system was compatible so I took the free upgrade.
For the next 12 months I had problems with freezing and crashes nearly every day.
Microsoft helpdesk had several remote sessions trying to sort it out.
They finally suggested that I contact Acer who happily informed me that my A800 apu was absolutely not compatible with win 10.
So back to Microsoft helpdesk and asked for a clean reinstall of win7
During the course of that remote session by a supposed 2nd level tech, to reinstall win7, the computer completely crashed, fried the graphics card and scrambled the hard drive.

Oh dear, never mind, too bad.

I had a local repairer put in a new hard drive and a new factory original graphics card and a fresh install of win 7.

No more problems. This com is now running as good as the day it was new.

So before you upgrade an existing system check with your manufacturers tech dept rather than trusting the microsoft compatibility test.
But if your buying a new computer with win 10 original OS you should have no problems.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
huntergatherer

Post by huntergatherer »

Hmm. thanks for sharing advice guys. Will keep it in mind:)
MikeyTwond

Post by MikeyTwond »

Still here on Windows 8...I'll go to 10 eventually.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”