new PC monitor ideas

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Ludante
Outfitter

Re: new PC monitor ideas

Post by Ludante »

Fletchette wrote:
Ludante wrote:
Fletchette wrote: 1080p (1920x1080) has 2073600 pixels.
1440p (2560x1440) has 3686400 pixels.

So 1440p (2K) has 1612800 more pixels (about 78%), than 1080p.

So it takes quite a bit more GPU power to achieve the same FPS. This isn't an exact methodology, but it's in the ballpark.

One way to make up for the lower FPS is that you can usually lower the AA with the higher resolution monitor, because it has so much sharper definition natively.
Thank you, if I understand correctly GTX 1060 should be enough for 1440p theHunter Classic but for COTW or BF1 I would need GTX 1070 or higher?
I'd guess that's right.....If I turn off one of my 980's, and play with just one, with all settings maxed in Classic, I still get 60+ FPS at 1440p. Since a 1060 is fairly close to a 980, I'd say that's a fair comparison. I've haven't played COTW.
I just tested 3 games in 1440p 60Hz (DSR) all Ultra Settings:
- COTW, average 34FPS (usually 45FPS in 1080p), and I HAVE TO SAY that graphics look 2x better than in 1080p, there were no sparkly and flickery trees any more, I think this game is not optimized for 1080p at all.
- Playersunknown Battlegrounds which have graphics issues because it is early release, 32FPS (usually 45-50FPS in 1080p) average, graphics also look 2x better than in 1080p
- BF1, average 52FPS (60-80FPS in 1080p) on Ultra settings in close combat (They shall not pass). Very smooth and fluid gameplay.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Ludante, bear in mind that running a game at 1440p using DSR on a native 1080p display is not the same as running it at 1440p natively. There is overhead with DSR, so in theory you should see slightly better performance running natively at 1440p. I've run tests on this playing at (non-native) 1440p using DSR to upscale back to native 2160p and the average framerates are lower than playing at 2160p natively. Worth bearing in mind.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

caledonianblues wrote:Ludante, bear in mind that running a game at 1440p using DSR on a native 1080p display is not the same as running it at 1440p natively. There is overhead with DSR, so in theory you should see slightly better performance running natively at 1440p. I've run tests on this playing at (non-native) 1440p using DSR to upscale back to native 2160p and the average framerates are lower than playing at 2160p natively. Worth bearing in mind.
So if I understand correctly if I choose to change the monitor I could easily go for 1440p with this performance?
What is also important when looking for new screen, some people are saying IPS is not good for gaming it is better to have 140hz refresh rate some say it is opposite?
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Your graphics card should cope fine with games at 1440p. However, not all games are optimised to the same extent so don't be surprised if you have to make some sacrifices from time to time. I would be reluctant to say you'll be able to play every game at 1440p with every setting maxed out, because in reality you probably won't. I'm running two watercooled EVGA GTX 1080 cards at the moment and if I disable one of those, there are still some games which perform pretty poorly compared to others. A good example is Watch Dogs running at 1440p. I still get an average of about 65-70fps with everything on ultra, but there are frequent dips down to ~40fps. If you compare that to GTA V where the framerates on a single GTX 1080 at 1440p never drop below 90 with everything on ultra, it shows that some games are not as optimised as they could be.

As for monitors, G-Sync is definitely a worthwhile consideration. At 1440p, if you plan to play games on ultra, then you probably won't be seeing 144fps very often with a GTX 1060, but G-Sync will match the refresh rate of the monitor to your current framerate, making for a very smooth gaming experience. Here's a good video that's worth a watch:

This guy has other videos on his channel which compare display types in detail.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

Very well explained, I would definitely go for G-Sync 1440p 27" 144hz.

The only one I could find (free sync is much more popular in online shops) is this one
https://www.amazon.de/PG278QR-Monitor-D ... 722&sr=1-1

And it`s quite spicy ;)

Thanks for the details David!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Just remember that FreeSync is for AMD cards. If you have an Nvidia card you want a G-Sync monitor!
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Ludante wrote:Very well explained, I would definitely go for G-Sync 1440p 27" 144hz.

The only one I could find (free sync is much more popular in online shops) is this one

And it`s quite spicy ;)

That ROG Swift is a great gaming monitor. The other one like it is the Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD (2560x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS Display.

I have the Acer (IPS), and can't complain at all, it's great.
Personal Bests...
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

caledonianblues wrote:Just remember that FreeSync is for AMD cards. If you have an Nvidia card you want a G-Sync monitor!
Yes I know, they are cheaper as well that is why I said "more popular" :)

@Fletchette IPS is not bad but everyone says that higher refreshment rate is more crucial with FPS, there are also IPS monitors with 144hz like the Acer Predator XB271HU 27 but price is around 799€ on Amazon.de :)
Leon9475

Post by Leon9475 »

I ordered samsung curved monitor (C27F398) for my wife's birthday and she is an absolutely happy geek right now :D
PROS:
- Widescreen for larger area of view
- Very crisp images, and bright colors for games, photos, and videos.
- easy setup
CONS:
- No inbuilt speakers
All in all, awesome colors and intense clarity mind you!! Oh, and watching Star Wars with this monitor is Amazing!
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

Fletchette wrote:
Ludante wrote:Very well explained, I would definitely go for G-Sync 1440p 27" 144hz.

And it`s quite spicy ;)

That ROG Swift is a great gaming monitor. The other one like it is the Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD (2560x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS Display.

I have the Acer (IPS), and can't complain at all, it's great.

I have the XB271HU and it's absolutely fantastic! Never played games so smooth and it shines better with the new rig I just built.
Spoiler:

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”