i5 7600k or i7 7700k?

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Ludante
Outfitter

Re: i5 7600k or i7 7700k?

Post by Ludante »

PardalAlgarve wrote:
Ludante wrote:
PardalAlgarve wrote:Well i have to say that Ryzen is not the way to go(im sorry), because single core performance still sucks and so gaming benefits from it, if you have the money go for i7 7700k and OC it. Anyways you should see what's the purpose of the build, i mean what tasks are you going to give to your hardware. You know i have the i5 6500 and im really surprised with its performance because it suits what i need.
To be honest I am quite confused, after all the research I made it seems that the best way is to buy the most expensive components on the market and only that way you can be certain that you can perform all the tasks..Do you mind me asking if you play COTW? What is your experience with i5 6500 with COTW & other games and what GPU do you use?
Im using the gtx 750 ti, and as i am used to high framerate something under 50 frames is unplayable for me, nevertheless COTW as a pretty good optimization related to low framerates and feel smooth at 30-35 fps. COTW is made by EW its not greatly optimized as you would see in a rockstar or blizzard game. But the job they did for what they are was very good, if your aiming for 60 or more fps experience in COTW in 1080p, i would say you should aim for a better GPU and a basic i5 will do the job as you can see here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-VQEOVaC2g
Ok, thanks.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Ludante wrote:What is your experience with i5 6500 with COTW & other games and what GPU do you use?
I'm using a i5 6500 @3.2 Ghz and a R9 380x with 4GB video RAM - pretty mediocre stuff - and in CotW I get 50 FPS on medium, 30-35 FPS on high and 25 FPS on ultra. In Classic it's much better of course, playing with all settings maxed out and getting good frame rates except in WRR and BRR sometimes. I'm not picky regarding FPS and I'm not playing the most recent shooters, but a lot of games work fine for me on high or even highest setting, e. g. Cities:Skylines, Planet Coaster, The Witcher 3.
Playing everything on 1920x1080.
Image Image Image
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

I would go with the i5 for gaming. :-)

Overclocking the pc of my wife at moment [32gb corsair ddr4/3200mhz - Evga GTX 1080 ftw - i7 6700K (4000mhz), using a microATX board]. With watercooling now all cores at 4600mhz under heavy load (prime95) with 1.1986v vcore and temps around 63 degree celsius ..a few more hours of prime torture test without errors and it should be a decent gaming rig. (with energy savings the pc idles at 0.78v vcore and 800mhz)
Now offline. Forever.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

After several weeks of banging my head which option to choose to upgrade from out-dated amd cpu I finally made a choice and went for a mix of middle/cheap again not so bad option for playing these bloody games. I really wanted a gaming laptop but after seeing numerous reviews the only one I would like to have are in price range 2500€-4500€ which is ridiculously expensive and they will be probably outdated in 6 months or so. Also didn`t want to invest too much in gaming rig for the same reasons. This is my new configuration (I went for cheap stuff since components in this part of the world are so much more expensive then in US for example):
- Mobo MSI H110M PRO-VH (66€)
- CPU i7 7700 4,2GHz (357€) I chose this one over the i5 because of the threads, I could really use 8 and I can still use my cooler fan from amd with some adjustments.
- Crucial RAM DDR4 16GB 2133 Mhz (130€) because mobo is supporting that one
- SSD Crucial MX300 525GB (from previous configuration)
- RX470 4GB GDDR5 (from previous configuration)
- PSU Antec 600W 88% (from previous configuration)
All in all 553€ total costs.
I will try games during the weekend and see if there is some improvement. Cinebench scored 880 unlike A10-7850K with last score 275 (overclocked to 4,4 Ghz).

This is it..I got it out of the system. Have a nice weekend everyone!

p.s. before purchasing new motherboard for i7 processors check with the retailer if they updated BIOS or make sure you have additional older intel cpu which is supported by that mobo so you can do it yourself.. or otherwise you will spend 2 days trying to find out why your new pc doesn`t work and 1 day at repair shop (no costs).
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Is that the 7700 K or non-K? By the frequency and price I'm guessing K, which indeed doesn't come with thermal solution.
And there's absolutely no practical way you'll make your AMD cooler work on socket 1151. Believe me, I have one H100M (Gigabyte, though) and have dealt with several AMD systems to know they're keyed completely off.

EDIT: Btw, I have successfully updated my Gigabyte's BIOS so it reads my G4560. I had the help of a friend with an i5 6500, though.

EDIT2: Unless you mean you have an aftermarket cooler for your current FM2 socket and it has a bracket for intel. Then yes, by all means.
Spoiler:
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

BuiuRei wrote:Is that the 7700 K or non-K? By the frequency and price I'm guessing K, which indeed doesn't come with thermal solution.
And there's absolutely no practical way you'll make your AMD cooler work on socket 1151. Believe me, I have one H100M (Gigabyte, though) and have dealt with several AMD systems to know they're keyed completely off.

EDIT: Btw, I have successfully updated my Gigabyte's BIOS so it reads my G4560. I had the help of a friend with an i5 6500, though.

EDIT2: Unless you mean you have an aftermarket cooler for your current FM2 socket and it has a bracket for intel. Then yes, by all means.
It is i7 7700 (not k), the other one was 430EUR in local online shop and on Amazon (370EUR) it wasn`t on the stock, something about 1-2 months delivery time. Also for overclocking I would need much better mobo and water cooling which is raising up the price. This is it for now.
I am using Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo (it has both bracket for AMD and pins for Intel), it is quite nice and it seems little bit bigger than stock cooler. I was overclocking A10 7850k to 4,4GHz with that one and never went over 67 C.

P.S. the components are much easier to sell here if bought from local shop with warranty..
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Good deal, man! I guess I had to read your previous post a few times until I fully got it; sorry if I said obvious things.
Mine is almost ready; waiting for my XFX RX 480 GTR 8gb to get to my house.
Spoiler:
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

BuiuRei wrote:Good deal, man! I guess I had to read your previous post a few times until I fully got it; sorry if I said obvious things.
I think that RX 470 is nice card but 480 is better option..especially the OC version 1306 Mhz.

I was very surprised with the new configuration & gameplay:
- theHunter Classic, Timbergold MP all settings to highest value 34-58FPS, average around 40FPS.
- COTW MP Ultra Settings, almost all the time 38-40FPS.
- Battlefield 1 from 35-40 FPS in High Settings to constant 60 FPS in Ultra Settings (much more improvement).
- Arma 3 Exile from 15-20 FPS in Urban Areas and custom settings to 52-60 FPS with all settings to Ultra (significant improvement).

Not very impressive with Classic and COTW. Graphics in COTW are still messed up for me, trees are so sparkly my eyes hurt. I think it could be an old monitor I am using, or maybe not..The Timbergold trails also has messy graphics in certain areas (when walking and looking at the mountain all pixels are moving like ants and ground in some places is also messed like it needs v-sync but it is the same with or without v-sync). These 2 things were happening with old configuration as well (different CPU, mobo and RAM).

I don`t know, maybe I am doing something wrong.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Yeah, I thought I could just go full retarded for the gpu and upgrade the cpu in a year or so. My 480 is @1288mhz out of the box but since its thermal solution is excellent I've seen people get past 1400mhz with it.
Not that I'm gonna trouble myself with it right away since my cpu will be the bottleneck for sure.
Spoiler:
Sqwertle
Tracker

Post by Sqwertle »

Ludante wrote:
BuiuRei wrote:Good deal, man! I guess I had to read your previous post a few times until I fully got it; sorry if I said obvious things.
I think that RX 470 is nice card but 480 is better option..especially the OC version 1306 Mhz.

I was very surprised with the new configuration & gameplay:
- theHunter Classic, Timbergold MP all settings to highest value 34-58FPS, average around 40FPS.
- COTW MP Ultra Settings, almost all the time 38-40FPS.
- Battlefield 1 from 35-40 FPS in High Settings to constant 60 FPS in Ultra Settings (much more improvement).
- Arma 3 Exile from 15-20 FPS in Urban Areas and custom settings to 52-60 FPS with all settings to Ultra (significant improvement).

Not very impressive with Classic and COTW. Graphics in COTW are still messed up for me, trees are so sparkly my eyes hurt. I think it could be an old monitor I am using, or maybe not..The Timbergold trails also has messy graphics in certain areas (when walking and looking at the mountain all pixels are moving like ants and ground in some places is also messed like it needs v-sync but it is the same with or without v-sync). These 2 things were happening with old configuration as well (different CPU, mobo and RAM).

I don`t know, maybe I am doing something wrong.
If those are your framerates with the i7 then yeah your rx470 is the bottleneck there for sure. I have a rx480 and am also considering an upgrade to Ryzen or i7, but I know in like CotW for instance on high you are probably going to be around 40 fps anyway on that 470. Try turning the detail from high to medium, that makes the most significant difference at the lowest visual cost.

The arma 3 performance bump is of course nice but that's because that engine is a single threaded piece of poopoo :lol:

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”