Fishing Planet

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
ThesaurusRex84
Spotter

Re: the Angler

Post by ThesaurusRex84 »

DonderDeer wrote:Personally I just can't see fishing meshing well with oue current game. It would have to be set up so differently... and I'm personally not interested in the slightest.

This is coming from someone who does fish quite often irl.
This. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense coming from a hunting game. It's not exactly something you can do to pass the time waiting for animals to come near. Even if they do, it would take a while to set back up for hunting them. Not to mention fishing entails doing absolutely nothing for hours...and not catching anything! :x

So the general play of fishing is remarkably different from the fast gratification the general philosophy of the video game provides. There would have to be some way to keep the constant idleness and redundant activity from boring you out and making you consider all the better things you have to do that day. When people go fishing, they generally set a day aside just for it, when they don't have any other things to do that day. A video game is something you can do after work or something to entertain yourself before you go out to do something else. Even if you're going to spend all day playing video games, you're at least doing something stimulating or gratifying every hour you're doing it rather than mere idleness.

I'll admit, not all fishing involves idle angling. Bowfishing and spearfishing would be fun as well, but if you include those you'd naturally have to include angling too. Actually, in a way I suppose it's like people who hunt in stands, or even duck hunting in a way. But as angling is remarkably different from either of the two there it might have to be differentiated from the other methods as far as trophies and scoring goes (e.g a separate list of fish caught with rods, vs. hunted fish with spears/bows).

But if it was implemented there might be a social aspect to it, as you can chat with hunters in the vicinity while you're waiting for fish. Additionally, adding a fishing aspect would also include gear for fishing, such as boats. And with those accessories comes with cross-compatibility for regular hunting -- such as hunting from a boat, or even accessing water-loving species such as moose or perhaps marsh deer (and crocodilians, anyone? ;)). Shoot, just having deer or duck hunting boats alone would add a whole new dimension to the game -- we may not even need fishing.

I don't know. Fishing sounds like an interesting new element to the game, but I think it would be difficult to make it work, and regardless wouldn't be very high on the itinerary. Also, is anyone else unable to access that URL?
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

sales up to -50% for father's day on lot of nice dlc
waiora
Outfitter

Re: Fishing Planet

Post by waiora »

Fun sim game but the leveling system is fundamentally flawed which leads to a never ending grind within a few days of playing, no reward for fishing species with the right gear and it makes most fish species obsolete after the few hours you spend on them to level. Luckily for us theHunter has a much better "leveling" system that only effects the skills and still makes hunting all species, shapes, sex and sizes viable.
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

why obsolete, just fish for yourself. don't look at the levels thing ;). yes, after lvl 13 it takes ages to level up, but if you don't run for the leaderboards, it's just a "bad moment" to come cross. i mean, once it's done and it will be done someday, you can fish whatever you want, wherever you want
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

agree with jpm1. You don't have to catch just "new or big" fish. I am lv21 and I just spent few days in NC catchig crappies and panfish. it is the same like in TH, just because we got Bison, Sitka, Reindeer or Kangaroo we didn't stop hunting Mulies or Elks.
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

chewik wrote:agree with jpm1. You don't have to catch just "new or big" fish. I am lv21 and I just spent few days in NC catchig crappies and panfish. it is the same like in TH, just because we got Bison, Sitka, Reindeer or Kangaroo we didn't stop hunting Mulies or Elks.
You are forced to grind steel heads and muskies to get higher level gear. And even if you fish muskies with the new doublepunch/brutus setup, you spend 3 hours landing a 19kg fish, with 12kg drag setup. Costs you 900 to travel there and you lose 50% on your reel for 1 fish ;) Pretty pathetic gameplay design. Its only in "Alpha" version but already no mechanics are being developed, they just release DLC after DLC.
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

waiora wrote:
chewik wrote:agree with jpm1. You don't have to catch just "new or big" fish. I am lv21 and I just spent few days in NC catchig crappies and panfish. it is the same like in TH, just because we got Bison, Sitka, Reindeer or Kangaroo we didn't stop hunting Mulies or Elks.
You are forced to grind steel heads and muskies to get higher level gear. And even if you fish muskies with the new doublepunch/brutus setup, you spend 3 hours landing a 19kg fish, with 12kg drag setup. Costs you 900 to travel there and you lose 50% on your reel for 1 fish ;) Pretty pathetic gameplay design. Its only in "Alpha" version but already no mechanics are being developed, they just release DLC after DLC.
it really is pathetic. when I was level 10 I broke my reel on 5 bass.hmmmm....... ;)
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

One of our hunter community members got eliminated from the $1000 finals a few days ago due to a bug. He submitted time stamped screenshots to their support but instead of being assisted their support labels him a liar. Real classy :)
officialwafflez
Hunter

Re:

Post by officialwafflez »

jpm1 wrote:why obsolete, just fish for yourself. don't look at the levels thing ;). yes, after lvl 13 it takes ages to level up, but if you don't run for the leaderboards, it's just a "bad moment" to come cross. i mean, once it's done and it will be done someday, you can fish whatever you want, wherever you want
Buckkiller4 wrote:
waiora wrote:
it really is pathetic. when I was level 10 I broke my reel on 5 bass.hmmmm....... ;)
Fish for yourself, If you want to have fun. You're not forced to do anything.
ingame name is BryanTheHunter
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

waiora wrote:
If you want true free-to-play it comes with grind. Just the way it is with all free-to-play games. Don't want to grind for gear, open the wallet and buy DLC.

Think about where this game was after 1 year of release compared to FP. Always room for improvement but seems to me they're doing a pretty good job.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”