Medved-Taiga impressions

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Medved-Taiga impressions

Post by HooCairs »

kevin2106 wrote:
HooCairs wrote:The Taiga seems pretty empty as far a animals. Loads of moose though once you find any. Most resting and feeding places I find are for moose.

Been looking for wild boar on both southern maps to complete missions and found zero tracks. This is far from arcade for sure.
Isn't that a good thing? Closer to real life? Or is that what u meant?
For me there too little going on right now. I could have a bit more animals around. Not as many as in Classic but still. I spent a few hours looking even for just boar tracks and never found any. Sure I got distracted and shot some other animals, but would have thought and some point I should have found signs of boar.

Classic is sold as the "most realistic hunting game ever produced" which makes me believe CotW should be a bit more arcade, but right now I can't tell a difference between the two on the arcade vs. realistic scale.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

HooCairs wrote:
kevin2106 wrote:
HooCairs wrote:The Taiga seems pretty empty as far a animals. Loads of moose though once you find any. Most resting and feeding places I find are for moose.

Been looking for wild boar on both southern maps to complete missions and found zero tracks. This is far from arcade for sure.
For me there too little going on right now. I could have a bit more animals around. Not as many as in Classic but still. I spent a few hours looking even for just boar tracks and never found any. Sure I got distracted and shot some other animals, but would have thought and some point I should have found signs of boar.

Classic is sold as the "most realistic hunting game ever produced" which makes me believe CotW should be a bit more arcade, but right now I can't tell a difference between the two on the arcade vs. realistic scale.

Agree ;)

knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

HooCairs wrote:
kevin2106 wrote:

But is the definition of arcade the amount of animals to shoot? I do agree animals seem more scarce here then in the other two reserves. I wouldn´t necessarily say it´s less then in the hunter classic but I am bad at mining the hot spots of that game so I often go for 30 minutes without a single sign of life. I bet I will find more animals in Medved Taiga as I learn the gigantic maps. But the sheer size of them will make it much more time consuming. And of course this also mean more place for the animals to hide the population is maybe not proportional to the size of the reserve.

Isnt the definition of simulation vs arcade if something is designed to replicate real life hunting or if there is "aids" available to help the player. What can make COTW more arcade is some perks to help you around. Or some to make it harder like the random misses with bow.

What make Classic more arcade is the unrealistic and super predictable AI, shorter viewing distances and the weapon stability system the more you shoot a rifle the steadier it gets. Besides the graphic which is not quite as realistic simulation of the real deal however impressive for it´s age.

Still playing around with settings. Now trying 1920x1080 at 12-bit colours. This I get to run 100 % smooth or as smooth 60 fps can get and with 4x dsr and 8x supersampling etc it does look quite well for such a low resolution on a 55" at 1 metre viewing distance. Maybe the DSR really help to hide the worst scaling artifacts from 1080 to 4K. Anyway the scaling issue is kind of negated to the lack of screendoor that is really apparent on 1080p monitors at 50" I tested at this distance before. Still getting some posterisation for whatever reason but still looks sublime overall.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I lied. You go southeast of the northern outpost. Did the wild boar mission didn´t find any for the longest of time then I found 10 in 15 minutes lol
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

General headsup. Do not press E to interact to take Crankings shotgun until you are prompted to do so. This has borked the main story mission so I can´t get through. I tried exiting and go back but I am still stuck because I have taken it but then again not.

There is a workaround. A bit of a spoiler but you get the spoiler anyway by Alena take the required photo several times after. After doing the photo several times I managed to interact with the shotgun again and complete the mission.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Some more hours spent. I get more and more impressed with it the more I play with the design of the reserve. I am back on my 35" ultrawide and I don´t exactly know what it´s that make the 21:9 format so appealing. My 55" actually has more width but it kind of look primitive with the more boxy aspect ratio and less panorama. COTW is just crazy beatiful no matter what though :)

Got some nice moments. I saw the lynx hunting for the first time. It was funny because I was spotting him doing it in the binocular. First it looked like he got trapped behind some tree or rock that happen occasionally but then I saw what he was up to. A second later I got jumped by my cat. Didn´t see that coming ;)

After that I spent as much time or more as I ever done stalking a brown bear in classic. And I have surely spent my time there trying to get spooked bears with muzzleloaders. A Gold standard female with super acute senses. I don´t know what happened to my aiming because I shot her several times on hard running shots because she was just never ever stationary but each time I was 95 % confident it was a hit but no. One time I got confused because there was two bears and before I got my bearings she spooked. I was flat on the ground with the wind blowing in my direction who ever said COTW is arcade :p I have every perk available to increase stealth. Didn´t run scent eliminator but wind was in my direction.

I spent probably more then 90 minutes tracking her. I thought it was the predator I would investigate to solve a mission but not. But in the end she led me to a big big lake or river and I find a collective and had fun sniping two lynxes at 300 metre.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Main story completed. Followed it more closely then on the previous reserves where I often got stuck on the side missions so now I actually had an idea why I was doing things.

All outposts and watchtowers visited. I have certainly not found a lot of hot spots. You get one on the last mission though. I found 3 herds of moose and 3 herds of reindeer on a big lake but within 500 metre radius :) While stalking the objective animal to take a photo I got the biggest meanest battlescared mythical brown bear strolling by me. Followed by another bear. When flying by on the atv it´s striking how few animal tracks you encounter. Animal do a lot of noise it´s just not that many of them out there. Number of need zones discovered I think I discovered less then 10! At least feels like less then 10.

I am really curious if there is any lynx fights. At one occasion I observed a lynx and he appeared to be shouting at another lynx. I never saw the other but the call markers was at different locations and he acted like he had full focus on something behind some bushes. Really hope there is some cat fights for territory going on. I can´t imagine lynxes enjoy company anymore then house cats do ;)

Incredible value. Heck even if there wasn´t any animals to hunt I could have fun with the sightseeing parts. Now just hope for VR support.
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

I saw Lynx hunt, stealthily stop, listening / looking to the ground in front of them, then jump on a virtual mouse.
And when they stop and sit down they yawn too :D

For bears (and all species i think too) about the sixth sense
I posted that on Bug thread :
When i spotted a Bear, see on my binocular, walk crawl on all fours i was ready. Good weapon, good wind, good range.
and when i décide to hold my breath just before shoot, i see him stand up in1/60 second : no animation transition.
And obviously, i totaly missed him.
It's really frustrating to fail for behavior glitch.
- If game's dev want us to lose by "bad luck", ok, even though the way to do it is another debate (someting animals seem to have too strong sixth sense to flee just before you shoot them).
but you have to correct the animation, otherwise you could just as well make it escape by flying in the sky like a Superbear

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”