Introducing theHunter: Call of the Wild

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss theHunter: Call of the Wild among themselves. The official theHunter: Call of the Wild forum can be found on Steam, here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/discussions/
Jex_TE
Scout

Re: Introducing theHunter: Call of the Wild

Post by Jex_TE »

PicSoul wrote:After playing the beta for 55 hours I'm already in love with CoTW but unless there are comps and leader boards I'm afraid that most of the Classic players will not even glance in the direction of CoTW. Like I said. I'm already hooked, I just hope I'm not playing alone. A good competitive community can make or break a game like this.
Isn't that something TH has right now though? It seems odd that the new game appears to be lacking in this feature when there's a whole community set around it or maybe the community isn't that big? If COTW is going down Cabella's route then it's probably not for me - the reason I got TH in the first place was because of friends. I never hunted in RL (well, other than hunting birds with my camera) so when I got the game I could see the potential in it and bought it almost right away.

The attraction for me was that the game felt authentic. Each time I shot my weapon, my skill would go up a little. The graphics look great, the animals moved great too and I was happy spending a few hours on the reserve taking my time in hunting, always stalking my prey rather than using baits.

If the new game doesn't feel authentic it's going to be a miss for me but I assume TH will keep going? I read the devs said this isn't TH2 so a little disappointed by that. WE had primal, 3 posts above someone's complaining how the devs just left it) and now we have COTW - when is TH going to get it's update? When can we expect animals not to see through bushes and have the noise meter and all that along with night hunting, etc.
Jex_TE
Scout

Post by Jex_TE »

freakzz wrote:In my opinion the huge size of the map isn't an advantage. I explored most parts of the map in CoW and most areas look the same. Don't get me wrong the graphics are impressive but there wasn't much remarkeable.
The Hunter Classic Maps have been made with more passion and variety.
CoW maps gave me the feeling they created it in less time with the opinion "Our effects and overall graphics are amazing, we don't have to waste much time on the map".

Just my point of view. Would be interesting what you think. I hope they will make a survey concerning the beta after it.
Hmmmm well not that you asked me but I'd like to give an answer. Presumably the map whilst big, from what I've seen in the videos looks smaey all over? THC has reserves that cross different biomes and each is a seperate map.

Map creation in a game is probably the most important aspect in any game. Mediocrity does not go down well in gaming. Players want to see innovation, imagination and creative genius as well as effort. If you just make a ground layers then scatter it with a few rocks and trees using PG then players will notice that.

I haven't seen a 10th of the map though so I dunno what the rest looks like. What I want to know is once you've levelled up everything and you have all the skills and bought all the stuff so you don't have that and the shininess has gone off the game, is it still challenging and fun to play?
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Jex_TE wrote:
freakzz wrote:In my opinion the huge size of the map isn't an advantage. I explored most parts of the map in CoW and most areas look the same. Don't get me wrong the graphics are impressive but there wasn't much remarkeable.
CoW maps gave me the feeling they created it in less time with the opinion "Our effects and overall graphics are amazing, we don't have to waste much time on the map".

Just my point of view. Would be interesting what you think. I hope they will make a survey concerning the beta after it.
Hmmmm well not that you asked me but I'd like to give an answer. Presumably the map whilst big, from what I've seen in the videos looks smaey all over? THC has reserves that cross different biomes and each is a seperate map.

Map creation in a game is probably the most important aspect in any game. Mediocrity does not go down well in gaming. Players want to see innovation, imagination and creative genius as well as effort. If you just make a ground layers then scatter it with a few rocks and trees using PG then players will notice that.

I haven't seen a 10th of the map though so I dunno what the rest looks like. What I want to know is once you've levelled up everything and you have all the skills and bought all the stuff so you don't have that and the shininess has gone off the game, is it still challenging and fun to play?
Nobody has seen the other biome(s) yet. At least North America will be included. As much criticism as CotW may receive, map creation likely won't be on the list. I thought the map was a masterpiece, and it does include different looking areas. The map that was available in theHunter was 7-7.5x the size of our Hirsch. This might be a good read for you after seeing your posts: CotW Article
PicSoul
Hunter

Post by PicSoul »

Jex_TE wrote:
PicSoul wrote:After playing the beta for 55 hours I'm already in love with CoTW but unless there are comps and leader boards I'm afraid that most of the Classic players will not even glance in the direction of CoTW. Like I said. I'm already hooked, I just hope I'm not playing alone. A good competitive community can make or break a game like this.
Isn't that something TH has right now though? It seems odd that the new game appears to be lacking in this feature when there's a whole community set around it or maybe the community isn't that big? If COTW is going down Cabella's route then it's probably not for me - the reason I got TH in the first place was because of friends. I never hunted in RL (well, other than hunting birds with my camera) so when I got the game I could see the potential in it and bought it almost right away.

The attraction for me was that the game felt authentic. Each time I shot my weapon, my skill would go up a little. The graphics look great, the animals moved great too and I was happy spending a few hours on the reserve taking my time in hunting, always stalking my prey rather than using baits.

If the new game doesn't feel authentic it's going to be a miss for me but I assume TH will keep going? I read the devs said this isn't TH2 so a little disappointed by that. WE had primal, 3 posts above someone's complaining how the devs just left it) and now we have COTW - when is TH going to get it's update? When can we expect animals not to see through bushes and have the noise meter and all that along with night hunting, etc.
There where no leaderboards and the Comps that were there were built into the multiplayer kind of like a mission almost. This was a beta though and leaderboards would have been useless at that point anyway. Also a lot could and probably will change so keep that in mind.

It sounds like with your play style you will feel right at home in CoTW. Sneaking through the woods felt VERY nice in the beta.

As far as Primal goes. They just released an update (two actually) yesterday for it.

I think theHunter is probably already pushing the limits of it's capabilities. Adding those features may not even be possible with the game engine it uses.
PicSoul
Hunter

Post by PicSoul »

Hawkeye wrote:
Jex_TE wrote:

Nobody has seen the other biome(s) yet. At least North America will be included. As much criticism as CotW may receive, map creation likely won't be on the list. I thought the map was a masterpiece, and it does include different looking areas. The map that was available in theHunter was 7-7.5x the size of our Hirsch. This might be a good read for you after seeing your posts: CotW Article

I agree with Hawkeye, the map WAS a masterpiece. I saw nice lakes, beautiful arching bridges, giant windmill farms, a sawmill, multiple cabins/camps, bunkers, old fashion windmills, a creepy cave and on and on.... All while finding sheds on the ground. Even if this game had no guns I would play it just to explore this beautiful rendition of Hirsh!
Jex_TE
Scout

Post by Jex_TE »

Hawkeye wrote:
Jex_TE wrote:

Having seen more screenshots, it's looking pertty good it's definitely an improvement over THC (and it should be LOL) - the proof is in the pudding so to speak though as they've said it's not TH2, it's a stand alone product, I'm going to stop expecting it to be that game and will judge it as a stand alone game.

I wish they'd frikkin work on TH2 - maybe this is the version the send out just to get some cash back. They've made the new AI, graphics, animations, etc then slapped a really bad arcade game on top, bang that out to the plebs, do some patching then take that knowledge and work, remove the god awful UI, add in the good stuff and boom! - TH2 is born ;)
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

Jex_TE wrote:I wish they'd frikkin work on TH2 - maybe this is the version the send out just to get some cash back. They've made the new AI, graphics, animations, etc then slapped a really bad arcade game on top, bang that out to the plebs, do some patching then take that knowledge and work, remove the god awful UI, add in the good stuff and boom! - TH2 is born ;)
To the plebs? Really? C'mon now. Let's not be too elitist.

Also, I dunno about you, but if I made a version of a game to "get some cash back", I'm not sure why I'd spend my time dumping stuff back into what is presumably a failing game (since, in your words, you're doing it to "get some cash back"), rather than just continue on building onto the game that got some cash back.

I think the vitriol between the products of tH:C and tH:CotW is really unbecoming in our community. It reminds me of the old days where people argued about whether Sega or Nintendo was better, or whether Quake or Unreal Tournament was better, or whether Steam is good or bad, or any number of silly arguments that really just boiled down to "you're doing something I don't like and I don't like that". This isn't an "either/or" thing. There's lots of room for people to enjoy both products if they like. If a particular game isn't for you, then that's totally ok, but writing it off or calling people "plebs" because of some assumed "team A vs. team B, and team A are the true players and team B are the noobs" thing is just silly - especially when the game that apparently represents Team B isn't even out of beta yet.

We would all do well to be kind, patient, and show respect for other people's interests rather than disparaging them because their choice isn't what you'd personally do.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
PicSoul
Hunter

Post by PicSoul »

Well said TundraPuppy!

I can't wait to get back into CoTW and I will still also enjoy Classic. The more the merrier I say!
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

TundraPuppy wrote:
Jex_TE wrote:I wish they'd frikkin work on TH2 - maybe this is the version the send out just to get some cash back. They've made the new AI, graphics, animations, etc then slapped a really bad arcade game on top, bang that out to the plebs, do some patching then take that knowledge and work, remove the god awful UI, add in the good stuff and boom! - TH2 is born ;)
To the plebs? Really? C'mon now. Let's not be too elitist.

Also, I dunno about you, but if I made a version of a game to "get some cash back", I'm not sure why I'd spend my time dumping stuff back into what is presumably a failing game (since, in your words, you're doing it to "get some cash back"), rather than just continue on building onto the game that got some cash back.

I think the vitriol between the products of tH:C and tH:CotW is really unbecoming in our community. It reminds me of the old days where people argued about whether Sega or Nintendo was better, or whether Quake or Unreal Tournament was better, or whether Steam is good or bad, or any number of silly arguments that really just boiled down to "you're doing something I don't like and I don't like that". This isn't an "either/or" thing. There's lots of room for people to enjoy both products if they like. If a particular game isn't for you, then that's totally ok, but writing it off or calling people "plebs" because of some assumed "team A vs. team B, and team A are the true players and team B are the noobs" thing is just silly - especially when the game that apparently represents Team B isn't even out of beta yet.

We would all do well to be kind, patient, and show respect for other people's interests rather than disparaging them because their choice isn't what you'd personally do.
I agree with most of the things you say and I think majority of regular players are being "NAH" because we all expected some sort of "NEW HUNTER" only improved. This is obviously not the case. I will skip few beers in pub and put in 29,90 for this game because I want to play it. And I will most certainly try to explore it to the maximum because it is not very expensive and it is new-comer with different (and some improved) features.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
CybrSlydr

Post by CybrSlydr »

Imagine my surprise when I see CotW on my Steam home-page! WOW! Looks great! Then I see you guys have known since the end of November! lol

Did some reading in this thread and I'm a little concerned - is CotW going to be a "watered-down" version of THC? What exactly do you folks mean by "arcade"?

Return to “theHunter: Call of the Wild”