New New Dogs (Updated included suggested dogs)

Share your dog-related ideas and suggestions here

What Dog Breeds Would you like to see in thehunter?

Australian Cattle Dog
2%
Australian Kelpie
1%
Beagle
10%
BloodHound
8%
Bull Arab
1%
Cane Corso
1%
Coonhounds
5%
Curs
1%
Dachshund
4%
Dogo Argentino
1%
English Setter
6%
English Springer Spainel
5%
German Shepard
6%
Foxhound
6%
Harrier
1%
Hungarian Vizla
3%
German Shorthaired Pointers
9%
Jack Russell
4%
Karelin Beardog
3%
Munsterlander
2%
Norweigan Elkhound
7%
PitBull
2%
Pointer
9%
Other (PLease comment what species and why)
2%

Total votes: 508
mapache01
Outfitter

Re: New New Dogs (Updated included suggested dogs)

Post by mapache01 »

HooCairs wrote:I like Hot Dogs.
Chilli Dog for me please ;)
oneway92

Post by oneway92 »

how about ridgeback hunting lions
REAPNASTY
Hunter

Post by REAPNASTY »

I hope the coonhounds include that WALKER POWER!!! We hunt everything with them here, from deer and bear to coons and hogs to fox and coyotes.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj98 ... aertkp.jpg
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Lawger wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:Tracking better than the player can do = pay to win. Don't count on it
Then so is a caller, or camo clothing, or scent killer, or the rangefinder bowscope, or basically any piece of equipment that you can buy to make hunting a bit easier (which is pretty much anything in the store). Your argument seems both old and irrelevant. If we can pay for something that makes the animals come to us, why shouldn't we be able to pay for something which makes tracking a wounded animal easier? Especially since dogs are always used for that IRL.
Everything you listed may make getting to the animal easier, but it does not make harvesting it easier. The only way you win a comp is by harvesting an a winning animal. Often the tracks are buried, and the player can't see them. Now the dog isn't going to look for domes, it will follow what ever it is coded to do. If it can do this better than the player, it is pay to win.
It may be old, but not irrelevant.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

DHRifleman wrote:
Lawger wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:Tracking better than the player can do = pay to win. Don't count on it
Then so is a caller, or camo clothing, or scent killer, or the rangefinder bowscope, or basically any piece of equipment that you can buy to make hunting a bit easier (which is pretty much anything in the store). Your argument seems both old and irrelevant. If we can pay for something that makes the animals come to us, why shouldn't we be able to pay for something which makes tracking a wounded animal easier? Especially since dogs are always used for that IRL.
Everything you listed may make getting to the animal easier, but it does not make harvesting it easier. The only way you win a comp is by harvesting an a winning animal. Often the tracks are buried, and the player can't see them. Now the dog isn't going to look for domes, it will follow what ever it is coded to do. If it can do this better than the player, it is pay to win.
It may be old, but not irrelevant.
It is indeed highly irrelevant IMO. The main stages in bagging a trophy could be said to be: A) Getting within shooting range of an animal (camo, scent spray and callers help with that), B) Making a good, clean shot (rangefinders, the rangefinder scope, more powerful rifles and higher magnification scopes help with that), and C) Getting to the downed animal (tracking dogs would help with that if implemented). Now, I can't see how anything that helps in the last step would be P2W, but not the things that help in the previous steps, especially since the last step even becomes a non-issue if step B is executed correctly. Having seen a little of how the dogs will work it's also obvious that a tracking dog wouldn't just instantly find anything you shoot. To be effective they'd have to be levelled up, just like other skills that are gradually levelled up to make you more and more effective in bagging that trophy (I.E. weapon skills that help you make the clean shot, spotting skills that help you pick out the highest scoring animal, etc.).
butter8808
Hunter

Post by butter8808 »

Because of the game dynamic, any of the "chase" dogs would be fairly worthless in my opinion. The tracking dogs would work only if they didn't scare the prey, which is fairly unrealistic in my opinion. Until an animal can be "treed" anything other than a retriever or pointer is fairly useless I would think.
Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

butter8808 wrote:Because of the game dynamic, any of the "chase" dogs would be fairly worthless in my opinion. The tracking dogs would work only if they didn't scare the prey, which is fairly unrealistic in my opinion. Until an animal can be "treed" anything other than a retriever or pointer is fairly useless I would think.
I envision tracking dogs being used for tracking wounded game in solo hunting, or possibly be used as beaters by creative teams in multiplayer. So the dog should spook the prey still.
Paul_Goselaar
Hunter

Post by Paul_Goselaar »

I'd like a German shepherd
magnusts123
Spotter

Post by magnusts123 »

Norwegian Elkhound or Jämthund
cix50

Post by cix50 »

magnusts123 wrote:Norwegian Elkhound or Jämthund
+1
That would be nice when hunting moose and maybe capercaille (they should be added to Hemmeldal, because there is a great tradition hunting them in the northern parts of scandinavia.

I would prefer a german shorthaired pointer (any HPR= hunting, pointing, retrieving would be nice) right now. It would be awesome for pheasants. It should be able to go on point, flush and retrieve. But obviously it's mostly for pointing.

Return to “Dog suggestions”