New Dogs

Share your dog-related ideas and suggestions here

What Species of Dogs would you like to see added to thehunter?

Australian Cattle Dog
4%
Australian Kelpie
2%
American Bulldog
2%
Beagle
14%
Blood Hound
10%
Bull Terrier (Pit Bull)
4%
CoonHound
5%
Curs
2%
English Setter
8%
English Springer Spaniel
8%
FoxHound
7%
Harrier
3%
German or English Pointer
14%
Jack Russell
7%
RidgeBack
3%
Welsh Terrier
1%
Other (Please post what species and why)
8%

Total votes: 381
Knut
Outfitter

Re: New Dogs

Post by Knut »

Akemaru wrote:How many animals run in a circle to evade a dog that is chasing it?
Foxes tend run in a straightish line away from a dog only deviating when the terrain dictates or they know where an old den is. Hares run a zigzag course away from the dog.
If they run, yes.

That's why you need a dog like a beagle for this type of hunt, that will hold a fresh trail but follow the animal rather slowly several hundred metres behind. That way the animal will not flee flat out, but more try to evade the dog by sneaking off. And in these situations the animal will try to stay in grounds it knows and often after a while sneak back to the safe zone it knows, which is surprisingly often close to where it was flushed in the first place. Or at least it will pass on a known pass/trail in the vicinity.
And as the dog should be constantly barking while following the trail, in an ideal case the hunter can predict where the party is heading and adjust an interception position accordingly.

Hares do that very pronounced, Roe deers as well, and with foxes it often works, too.

I've whitnessed this type of hunt only once myself (here you need a minimum of 1000 ha, i.e. 10 km^2 of hunting reserve to legally be allowed to do it) and it is tremendously exciting.
Not to mention that you need a well-bread, passionate and well trained dog for it. :D
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Knut wrote:
Akemaru wrote:How many animals run in a circle to evade a dog that is chasing it?
Foxes tend run in a straightish line away from a dog only deviating when the terrain dictates or they know where an old den is. Hares run a zigzag course away from the dog.
If they run, yes.

That's why you need a dog like a beagle for this type of hunt, that will hold a fresh trail but follow the animal rather slowly several hundred metres behind. That way the animal will not flee flat out, but more try to evade the dog by sneaking off. And in these situations the animal will try to stay in grounds it knows and often after a while sneak back to the safe zone it knows, which is surprisingly often close to where it was flushed in the first place. Or at least it will pass on a known pass/trail in the vicinity.
And as the dog should be constantly barking while following the trail, in an ideal case the hunter can predict where the party is heading and adjust an interception position accordingly.

Hares do that very pronounced, Roe deers as well, and with foxes it often works, too.

I've whitnessed this type of hunt only once myself (here you need a minimum of 1000 ha, i.e. 10 km^2 of hunting reserve to legally be allowed to do it) and it is tremendously exciting.
Not to mention that you need a well-bread, passionate and well trained dog for it. :D
First hand experience. It's how it's done. Beagle jumps rabbit and stays on it's tail. You see which way they went off and figure out a good hiding spot where you can see well when it returns, and you stand there quietly and dead still. Almost every single time, the rabbit will circle around and come sneaking or running back to the original area it was jumped from, as the beagle sniffs it's trail working back towards you as well.
Paul_Goselaar
Hunter

Post by Paul_Goselaar »

Why did you get out the German shepherd ? I'd like one as hunt companion. They are very imtelligent and loyal, I love them.
Akemaru
Outfitter

Post by Akemaru »

@Knut & Sqwee
Thanks for info, but I presume both of you are talking about cottontail rabbits.
In UK our rabbits run to the nearest burrow of their warren that is why we use fast moving dogs, as for hares they just scarper on a zigzag course away from the lurcher and do not circle round to familiar ground.

Although the sport of hare coursing, which is not hunting as it is all about kudos/money for the lurchers owners, has been banned in this country it still takes place! Gone are the days when a person could use dogs to hunt hares for food and AFAIK the use of Beagle packs stopped in about 2001/2002

I also enjoy watching a dog do the work it was originally bred for regardless of what that job is!
Paul_Goselaar wrote:Why did you get out the German shepherd ? I'd like one as hunt companion. They are very intelligent and loyal, I love them.
GSD are guarding dogs and the only hunting they do is when they are used for tracking people!
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

None if they come with the qty of bugs and crashes as this one, Not even can login, got error and crash :x :x
Trylander

Post by Trylander »

Beagle and EW get's all my love back!
Jackson11
Scout

Post by Jackson11 »

Where is the Black and Tan Hound? They are used primarily for coons, foxes, and rabbits, but will also track bears and pigs.

My theHunter name: Jackson011 Youtube: Jackson011 theHunter (no videos yet though :D ) Twitter:@jacksonmcox
HerraMetsastaja

Post by HerraMetsastaja »

I think beagle would be very interesting, beacuose it would be very different and IRL hare hunting with beagle is my favourite hunting style. Pointer would be exiting too but i think best would be beagle or Finnish Hound. With finnish hound you could hunt fox too. ;)
HerraMetsastaja

Post by HerraMetsastaja »

I think beagle would be very interesting, beacuose it would be very different and IRL hare hunting with beagle is my favourite hunting style. Norwegian elkhound, Jämthund, Finnish spitz or Pointer would be exiting too but i think best would be beagle or Finnish Hound. With finnish hound you could hunt fox too ;)
Som-Zabil

Post by Som-Zabil »

Bavarian Mountain Scenthound, Slovak kopov, Tatranský
scent hound, they're hunting dog breeds that in TheHunter need for their invaluable character and commitment to work.

Bavorský horský farbiar, Slovenský kopov, Tatranský durič, to sú poľovné plemená psov ktoré v theHunter potrebujeme pre ich neoceniteľnú povahu a odhodlanosť pracovať.

Return to “Dog suggestions”