dog camo

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
beau_76
Scout

dog camo

Post by beau_76 »

Hi All,
If you take you scent dog on a black bear hunt use put him buy tree stand in dog camo does it help bear not see the dog or is it just for looks?
Seifer
Hunter

Re: dog camo

Post by Seifer »

I'm not sure how effective the dog camo really is but if you tell your dog to stay I don't think any animal will spot it as long as it's laying down. Animals will practically walk on your dog while its just laying there not moving around.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Seifer is correct. Using the "Stay" command essentially turns your dog invisible to all incoming animals. I've had animals temporarily get stuck on my dog trying to walk into my stand before. As for the dog camo, I don't use it myself but I'm sure it does offer some slight protection when the dog is doing anything other than staying.
beau_76
Scout

Post by beau_76 »

Hi I used the stay it was like the bear's had radar
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

The bear probably still detected you. Using a tree stand doesn't make you invisible to the animals. The visual camo is good while the scent reduction is rated excellent but it's still possible for animals to detect you in a stand. Not long ago I took a BB in RFF from a stand with my dog close by. If your dog was "staying" I think it's unlikely (not impossible) that the bear detected your dog.
Spoiler:

dools24
Tracker

Post by dools24 »

black bear will smell you in tree stand if they get to close brown will not unless it has been changed
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Seifer wrote:The bear probably still detected you. Using a tree stand doesn't make you invisible to the animals. The visual camo is good while the scent reduction is rated excellent but it's still possible for animals to detect you in a stand. Not long ago I took a BB in RFF from a stand with my dog close by. If your dog was "staying" I think it's unlikely (not impossible) that the bear detected your dog.

Yeah its depend a lot on what animal we are hunting, when i go to bow hunting i have had Elks walking right down my treestand a lot of times and literally stomping my dog xD, while turkeys just come close but at 20 mts they look right to me in the eyes, show me the middle feather and run away. So i guess its depend on what camo are you using too,

Now camo for the dog sound like a smart idea at first but consider this: You dog will be lay down when you are luring an animal, so it don't spook, so no camo need. when you walk around, if you run your dog run, and camo is useless, if you walk or you are walking crouch and an animal suddenly appears close to you the dog camo can buy you the seconds to order him lay down before his movement scares the animal, that's when camo in a dog can save the day. But, if we talk about scent dog, you will be sending him to track a lot, and he goes fast, running and sometimes far beyond your visual if is in a dense area like a forest, camo then is irrelevant because he will be running and will be far from you so will spook animals before you notice them.

So, dog camo is useless? of course not, but its a situational item, personally i found the blazing orange camo (no camo at all) more practical because more than camo what i need is someting that allow me see my dog when its tracking far ahead in forest or other dense areas, and dog gps its like a little too much for me.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Personally I just like my dog to wear the same camo as I'm wearing at any given time :P
Spoiler:

nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

I use an orange cover my dog to make it more visible though I have the GPS too. As stated I never had a problem with a dog on stay. Unfortunately, they do not stand down after a hit. Though my dog might not be high enough in lvl to stay down.
Code: Select all
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

nachthexe wrote:Unfortunately, they do not stand down after a hit. Though my dog might not be high enough in lvl to stay down.
When you fire your weapon like a rifle or shotgun your dog will not stay no matter what the level your dog is. It will stay however after firing a bow or crossbow.
Spoiler:

Return to “Kennel”