Help on Dogs.

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Seifer
Hunter

Re: Help on Dogs.

Post by Seifer »

TheSheWolf wrote:Mine is failing on vitals all the time atm, and she's level 30 or 31. I mostly hunt with a heavy recurve so EVERY hit is eventually fatal, regardless of placement, via bleeding, on anything that I hunt. They take waaaaaaaaaaay too long to level, too.
Maybe I've just been lucky but only once has my hound failed to track a vitally wounded animal. Yes, I agree with the fact that it does take waaaaay too long to skill up ;) What I've done in the past to help skill up is to use any bow/crossbow and get a body shot on an animal so it takes longer to die so my hound can track longer (I know this sounds cruel but it's just a game).
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

TheSheWolf wrote:Mine is failing on vitals all the time atm, and she's level 30 or 31. I mostly hunt with a heavy recurve so EVERY hit is eventually fatal, regardless of placement, via bleeding, on anything that I hunt.

It's honestly unrealistic to dogs. A good dog won't run off on a cross-track and a good dog WON'T just "lose" a scent, blood or no blood. A good, trained trailing dog is damn near impossible to shake off. They take waaaaaaaaaaay too long to level, too. I like my scenthound, definitely don't regret the purchase and it can be a lifesaver, but recently I've given up going back to put her on a blood track and I just plow ahead on my own unless I -completely- lose it. It's too annoying.
I could write a long post explaining how frustrating the scent dog is.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

I have to say... I bought a hound because they were on sale and I couldn't resist. Obviously he's low-level, but with bows he is already extremely helpful and I'm more willing to take risky shots with him, which is important if you're like me and suck at sneaking... lol. Terrible with rifles though... I probably won't bring him along unless I'm bow hunting but he's a keeper for archery days. I still think they should be following all blood trails, that would make a big difference for anyone who doesn't want to use them exclusively with bows...
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

TL;DR is: retriever is pretty good, scent hound is pretty redundant.
My 2 cents.
Spoiler:
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

I find that the only time my dog looses the track is if the animal is body shot. Then forget it. Dog is at level 29

Return to “Kennel”