Hound spooking Game

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Baiit

Hound spooking Game

Post by Baiit »

Since the last patch my hound has started to spook animals while I sit in my tree-stand.
It doesn't happen all the time, just every other hunting session.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: Hound spooking Game

Post by Hawkeye »

Is your hound in the "stay" position while you're in the stand?
Baiit

Post by Baiit »

Covering all the bases eh Hawkeye. Yes my hound is in the stay position. The smaller animals were not spooking till a bigger roe came in.
I had to put my hound away in order to get the big roe with my recurve.

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Baiit wrote:Covering all the bases eh Hawkeye. Yes my hound is in the stay position. The smaller animals were not spooking till a bigger roe came in.
I had to put my hound away in order to get the big roe with my recurve.
Of course! To answer your other question, no, I have not experienced my scent hound spooking game while he is in the stay position. However, as soon as he stands up, he'll spook just about anything. Assuming you're talking about that 255 roe, that will be one of the more skittish animals in this game, because of his massive trophy size. How do you confirm that he was spooked by the dog, and not by some other factor?
Baiit

Post by Baiit »

I can confirm this because I have this tree, you see. And this tree has never seen a spooked animal. Well not now.
For four different sessions I tried with the dog, and without. I call the game in, they spook at 20m. Wait 10 minutes call more, they come in and they spook at 20m.
That's enough for me so I put my dog away. Wait 10 minutes call game in, they come in and stay. Call more game in, and more come in and stay.
With this experience I was able to come to the conclusion that my dog might have something to do with this.
New patch out now, might be different for me now.

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Well, originally, you stated:
Baiit wrote:The smaller animals were not spooking till a bigger roe came in.
indicating that only that big 255 roe spooked. I was just pointing out that their AI is quite different than smaller animals, and that they are far more "spooky", and yes, can even spook while you're in a treestand.

As you are now saying that many animals are spooking, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I hunt in a similar way often (with the dog laying down while I'm in a stand) and have not experienced this.
Baiit

Post by Baiit »

I did a session this morning and there were 5 female reds directly below me. A small roe came in and nothin. Bigger roe comes in and they scatter.
In the other three sessions it was every animal. Guess I could have mentioned that. You already answered my question Hawkeye, thank you.

Return to “Kennel”