2 questions

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
chinook2835
Tracker

2 questions

Post by chinook2835 »

1.the sneaky swamp camp for ur dog,how effective is it like can I have my dog retrieving ducks while i calls some in and will the ducks break and down?or spook?

2.is the scent hound worth it?like I'm decent at shooting and hunt a lot on wrr
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: 2 questions

Post by Hawkeye »

chinook2835 wrote:1.the sneaky swamp camp for ur dog,how effective is it like can I have my dog retrieving ducks while i calls some in and will the ducks break and down?or spook?

2.is the scent hound worth it?like I'm decent at shooting and hunt a lot on wrr
On your first question, I guess the answer is "sometimes". I always use the swamp vest on the dog, and I send him after ducks whenever there is a lull in the action. If ducks break & fly right over the top of him, they're going to spook, regardless of what he's wearing. If he's on a long retrieve though, swimming across the deep water, or something like that, I can definitely have breaks & get shots in before they spook for the dog. This is probably where it helps the most.

For the scent hound, that depends greatly on your play style. They take some patience to train up. He'll cost you an animal here or there that he spooks if you're not extra careful in your handling. Mine is nearly level 30 now, and I hardly hunt without him. I hardly ever lose an animal now though, unless it's an issue with tracks disappearing or something like that, so in that sense, he's worth it to me.
Roger_Mellie

Re: 2 questions

Post by Roger_Mellie »

See this chinook: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=227&t=77871

My own opinion re the scent hound is that I am still better at tracking than she is (level 22), and that the times when she has actually helped me are few. Generally she walks behind me or only 1-2 tracks in front, and the times she scoots off and finds a dead 'un without me close behind are not common at all.

There are some who call me..... Simon. In game: Alf_Tupper

Return to “Kennel”