scent hound

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Andswaru

scent hound

Post by Andswaru »

Hello all,

Reading the forum concerning the scent hound I was a bit in doubt to get one. Although with the sale I got one.

Every hunt I take him (Buster) with me. I must say as a new player that having him with me tracking wounded animals it's much easier. Where I loose track the dog shows me the next tracks most of the time.

So I can recommend getting one if you are a beginner like me.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: scent hound

Post by Radamus »

Welcome Andswaru to the Hunter! and hope you enjoy the experience with your dog.
I had to share something that happened last night because although I love my dogs, my blood hound is dumb as a box of rocks- but that's how it is with no skl, my retriever was the same way but now she's a laser beam in the swamps and quite useful.
So on WHI I'm hunting for deer and yotes and I had shot 2 yotes that ran but good hits on them. I was about to call it a night so I took out after them, collect and be done. So I find the first one no problem, he only went 50m. So I'm on the other one and then I'm distracted by a buck call - I was trying to nail #1000 WT but it wasn't happening tonight. SO I mess with that and take another but I still need a couple more.... Then I get another yote call so I set up to take that one which I did...I resume tracking but can't find this trail, lost him, so I start a canvas search for him, no tracks anywhere- now another yote call! so I gotta have it.... another 5 minutes goes by another dead yote - by now I'm frustrated - I go back to where I knew was a track and start over.... can't find it, lost it. Now I'm thinking no way I can't find a damn yote- ... I'll get my dum dum bloodhound - So I go back and get her out... 3 commands she finally takes the track and off we go. That coyote had the most amazing pathing I've ever seen and I've seen a few doozies but nothing like this. ... bottom line, I would never have found this coyote without my dumb as a stump Niki.... They work that's for sure :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Boy Radamus, you sure get frustrated easy! :lol: :lol:
Radamus wrote: by now I'm frustrated
Only teasing, I would be frustrated too.
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

I also grabbed a hound during the sale [I'd been wanting one for a while] and I don't quite understand the criticism either. I'm a long-time player, so I don't lose animals...but the hound makes some tracking so much easier: especially when an animal has ran in a circle or has ran over it's own tracks. My dog is only LVL 11 right now and he is already making things easier for me.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

ElusiveShadow wrote:I also grabbed a hound during the sale [I'd been wanting one for a while] and I don't quite understand the criticism either. I'm a long-time player, so I don't lose animals...but the hound makes some tracking so much easier: especially when an animal has ran in a circle or has ran over it's own tracks. My dog is only LVL 11 right now and he is already making things easier for me.
Oh, I was not trying to criticize. I have a bloodhound too and love him! I was just poking some fun at Radamus. :)
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

walt133 wrote:
ElusiveShadow wrote:I also grabbed a hound during the sale [I'd been wanting one for a while] and I don't quite understand the criticism either. I'm a long-time player, so I don't lose animals...but the hound makes some tracking so much easier: especially when an animal has ran in a circle or has ran over it's own tracks. My dog is only LVL 11 right now and he is already making things easier for me.
Oh, I was not trying to criticize. I have a bloodhound too and love him! I was just poking some fun at Radamus. :)
My post wasn't directed at you. The scent hound on the forum gets quite a bit of criticism [there is a thread entitled 'Scent Hounds are Useless'] which I think is unjust.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

ElusiveShadow wrote:
walt133 wrote:
My post wasn't directed at you. The scent hound on the forum gets quite a bit of criticism [there is a thread entitled 'Scent Hounds are Useless'] which I think is unjust.
Oh I see. Yes I like the scent hounds. I personally think people don't have the patience to put in the time to train their dogs.
Terzi1985
Scout

Post by Terzi1985 »

I'm puzzled with my scent hound. It seemed to work pretty well in the beginning and she really was useful back then, really helped on those tracking jobs and worked absolutely great IMO. Now when I've got her up to level 13, (not much but that's certainly more than level 1) she just seems to get worse and worse. I bought it to get a dog that would help me when I screw up on a shot and end up having a difficult tracking job in a difficult terrain like in thick brush or that high grass on TgT. But like I said, the dog seems to get worse and worse at tracking while it's skill level is rising. And I'm getting more and more puzzled of why?!?!?

I mean, her failure rate to track even good lungshots is quite high now when it was easy job for her in the beginning. If it's a bad shot like body shot or gut shot, then it's a sure thing she's gonna fail prettymuch every time even when I go back all the time on last blood track and start again, the dog just fails to do it's job no matter how many times I go backwards to get the dog on the tracks again. Usually I just give up and just do the job by myself to find the expired animals. I was super happy with the dog when I got it but now I keep asking myself, why would I even take her out if she's more trouble than help? She only slows me down on tracking and not to meantion that she gets stuck on everything on the way all the time, she walks right into my way all the time so I keep on colliding with the dog, and where there is water around, she's always running into the water and making so much noice pollution that I can't hear anything else before I get the dog back on dry land.

I'd like to hear if anyone else have had problems with the dog feeling more and more useless when it's suppose to get better?
Only thing I could understand to cause this is IF the dogs ability to track somehing is in straight relation to your own tracking skill. I trained the dog while hunting mostly the species that I already have good personal tracking skills, and now when I would like to use her for some real work tracking on difficult terrain of the TgT and WRR, on a species that I have lower tracking skills myself, she suddenly seems super poor on tracking anything. :roll:

Should I just spend another few weeks concentrating to get her on something like level 20+ and ignoring prettymuch anything else what's happening on the game? Or should I try to bribe her with a dog backpack full of treats? :D
khavy
Tracker

Post by khavy »

Noticed it with mine too at the time, it gets a lot better at lvl 30 ( had to get the gps at lvl 32 for she even got quick!)
For the tracks, you don't need to go back to the blood tracks for putting the dog nack on track, EVERY track of the wounded animal will do!
Getting back only lets the dog loose track again at the same spot!
Get a new one a bit later and it will track better!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to “Kennel”