scent hounds are usless

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: scent hounds are usless

Post by TheSheWolf »

Mine is great, even at level 1 it was fine. It's only disobeyed 2-3 commands in several hunts, and only a couple trails has it needed to be set back on it. I'm finding it extremely useful for tracking blood in thick underbrush, esp. since I'm still low skill with the heavy recurve.

The dog is new to me, mind--only had it for a day now, but that also means it's only at level 6 or 7 now, and it's still great. I was actually surprised how "obedient" and "trained" (programmingly-speaking...) it actually is :D

@CATALIN_RO -

If I'm understanding you right, you are saying:
"The scent hound is not good for anything, if I don't hit the animal in the heart or lungs so it drops after 50m, it will not find it. Why should I buy the scent hound if the people must do the tracking? I want the money back and take back the hound or at least let me (can't understand some here!) -- and that in real life, the animal being tracked must have a barrel with 200L blood on his back so the hound can search him in the same way, and it's unrealistic."
I don't know if you know, but if the dog loses the trail, you don't need to start from the beginning again--just select another blood track near where he lost the scent, and give him the "track blood" command again. They get more consistent/better the higher level they get :)
kahuamp
Scout

Post by kahuamp »

I wouldn't say "useless", but I daresay "unnecessary", at least the way they are now. Let me give you an example.

I spotted a nice herd of feral goats. Chose 2 of them, one for the color, the other for horns size.

Dropped the 1st with one shot, and definitely hit the other one, but it kept on running until it went out of render. I harvested the 1st one, set up the trophy shot, took a while, finally got it.

Off I go to track the 2nd one. Tracks all over the place.....which of them belong to the one I hit, and where was it when I shot it? Can't remember, my fault for not marking it first....

But wait, I've bought a "scent" hound, didn't I ? Could that help me? Nope, since it's up to ME to find the blood pool and send him to track the animal. Of course I couldn't find that track among 20 others, and finally gave up......

They should at least be able to detect blood, since they are "scent hounds", and wait quietly by it until I give the "track" command. Not saying they should find footprints or dung, but at least blood....

Not to mention that since most of us already had a certain tracking level with most animals at the time we bought the dogs, we keep increasing that level simultaneousely with the dog when he ( or if he) manages to follow the blood trail, all the way to the dead animal. What is the point?

Rare are the cases when the bleeding animal would change direction and I would miss it, only to be shown the right way by the dog, so they are unnecessary......please make them detect blood.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

With situations like those I try to use the map and draw/mark it so I don't forget where I shot the 2nd animal. I'm really, really bad with that, lol.
Willandrew
Spotter

Post by Willandrew »

TheSheWolf wrote: @CATALIN_RO -

If I'm understanding you right, you are saying:
"The scent hound is not good for anything, if I don't hit the animal in the heart or lungs so it drops after 50m, it will not find it. Why should I buy the scent hound if the people must do the tracking? I want the money back and take back the hound or at least let me (can't understand some here!) -- and that in real life, the animal being tracked must have a barrel with 200L blood on his back so the hound can search him in the same way, and it's unrealistic."
I'm definitely naming my next dog the Smelly Pot
Zaitzev82
Spotter

Post by Zaitzev82 »

My scent hound is level 20 and hasn't really changed its probability to find and keep up with a track, by much. Of course he's a higher level and better than in the beginning, but all too often it's thrown off track. The "random" nature of its capabilities even through higher levels is a stupid mechanic. I don't need the dog to give me a "huh?" every 3rd time I ask it to stay put.

Walking. We walk, he heels. Except every few meters he decides to walk on my left side so he crosses in front of me causing me to either veer to a side, stop or be slowed down by it.
Stalking. In the woods, in the fields. No matter where, if I'm stalking an animal and the dog is with me, you can bet your ass he'll keep walking 10-20 meters ahead of me after I stop to glass around, listen for sounds etc.
Carrying stuff. Pretty much the only thing it does good, even though 5 is a little on the light side, not to mention the 20 on my own back which is also just a bit too little.
I've lost too many chances at up close shots because of my dog, to bother counting.

Oh, and I was given 2 extra scent hounds because of me buying em$. So now I have 3 scent hounds and 1 retreiver. It's not like I'm ever going to start over with the other 2, lol.
Epic_cloud_1

Post by Epic_cloud_1 »

you have to treat your dog as you train him/her.

the problem i have with my sent hound is i can not get him out on timber gold trails all other maps are ok.
LEFLOR
Scout

Post by LEFLOR »

Mine (level 22) works well on TGT and also on other maps,
only the command "not move" which is rarely understood (it must be repeated several times) but it is on all maps
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

Hawkeye wrote:
therisths wrote:Look for a new player the hound dog is usefull but for an ''old'' player its kinda useless IMO.For example, i will not spend 999ems buying a dog just to track my wounded animals, i tracked them in the past, i can track them now and i ll track them in the future, so i dont need a dog(i would may buy it just for company) but for a beginner is the best choice instead of leaving the wounded animal because they lack of tracking skill.
No matter how good your skill is, a well trained scent hound can & will help you. Even the most skilled tracker will be thrown off by HunterMate track misdirection, or an animal running straight into it's old tracks, or dying in an odd spot such as in thick brush, or an odd rock formation, or a ditch that makes it difficult to see. Any of those things can cost you significant time, or cause you to lose your harvest. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Roscoe has led me to animals that I otherwise would have missed, and he's certainly getting there faster now.
You are joking right? Ive never lost a wounded animal. It runs 180 degrees from the direction its shot, every time.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

waiora wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
therisths wrote:Look for a new player the hound dog is usefull but for an ''old'' player its kinda useless IMO.For example, i will not spend 999ems buying a dog just to track my wounded animals, i tracked them in the past, i can track them now and i ll track them in the future, so i dont need a dog(i would may buy it just for company) but for a beginner is the best choice instead of leaving the wounded animal because they lack of tracking skill.
No matter how good your skill is, a well trained scent hound can & will help you. Even the most skilled tracker will be thrown off by HunterMate track misdirection, or an animal running straight into it's old tracks, or dying in an odd spot such as in thick brush, or an odd rock formation, or a ditch that makes it difficult to see. Any of those things can cost you significant time, or cause you to lose your harvest. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Roscoe has led me to animals that I otherwise would have missed, and he's certainly getting there faster now.
You are joking right? Ive never lost a wounded animal. It runs 180 degrees from the direction its shot, every time.
No, I wasn't joking when I wrote it and I still stand by it. Animals may start running 180 degrees away when they're initially hit, but clearly, they make several turns from then on out, and can be unpredictable. As for you "never losing a wounded animal", your hunt history shows otherwise. Not sure what you're trying to prove there.
Samiwas

Post by Samiwas »

My scent hound, which is named Maga :D, is now at level 10. There have been a few bumps along the road, just as with training any dog (or employee, or fill in the blank). The whole concept of a dog companion is awesome. The idea that you need to have him/her lay down and stop fussing while you line up a shot is incredible. The fact you can have him/her jump in a ground blind is a fun deal. Sure, there are some annoying aspects, such as the lil pupper getting stuck behind a rock or bunch of trees, but even with those issues I am having a blast with the whole process.
Will Maga track past a non blood "fleeing" or "roaming" and pick up the blood again when he is at a higher level? I hope so. But, if not, the concept is still a blast.

Sam

Return to “Kennel”