scent hounds are usless

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: scent hounds are usless

Post by caledonianblues »

Prinz1989 wrote:Well they don't follow your stance when they are on a track. But I guess that is by design.
TheSheWolf wrote:She does not, however, EVER track at anything but a full run.
Yes, my apologies, I forgot to acknowledge that exception.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

TheSheWolf wrote:If the dog isn't copying your stance try leaving it and reentering it. A lot of times my dog seems to "forget" what stance I'm in, but if I stand then crouch again she'll immediately drop back down. She does not, however, EVER track at anything but a full run.
You nail it!! that's for sure what's happened, since I have to monitor on HM when Dog raise and start to walk/run behind me when the rendering distance it's achieved, and that's exactly why I HAVE TO BUY the GPS, without that impossible to tell when Dog run/walk to you and Bye bye trophy, but sometimes I'm so focus on spotting/ranging/stalking i forgot I leave the Dog behind (stay command) and dog just surprise me in front of binocs/spotter until is to late.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

As a tip, if you hold V and look around the dog is outlined in white and you'll know how fast it's going, if you didn't know!
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I leave the dog behind most the time. He's a good pack horse now for the very seldom time I need 3 or 4 weapons on me (missions etc). He gets in the way all the time and my best tip is if you think there is an animal close. Get him to stay and go ahead alone. I can find the tracks 99% of the time myself now. So like I stated earlier I think they are probably good for beginners as that's when tracking gets a little confusing. But the dog might just irritate the hell out of the new players as well haha

TK

P.s the retriever is actually very good... apart from the blind problems it has sometimes. It's also actually more well behaved for some reason. I took it out to use on some chicken parmigiana the other day and he stayed with me while I harvested some Ibex... now that's saying something!
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

TreeKiwi wrote: ...
P.s the retriever is actually very good... apart from the blind problems it has sometimes. It's also actually more well behaved for some reason. I took it out to use on some chicken parmigiana the other day and he stayed with me while I harvested some Ibex... now that's saying something!
Agree! Retriever is muuch Better.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

mapache01 wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote: ...
Agree! Retriever is muuch Better.
What I don't like about the retriever right now is that it's louder as the scent dog and falls behind when you are crouching, so it won't hear a "stay" command when xyou want to give it. Thats the reason I'm not taking it with me on big horn sheep /ptarmigan hunts, it makes getting the sheep too difficult.
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

I love my scent hound. Yeah she'll stop tracking occasionally but a quick command will get her started again. We work good together in tandem. If I think she's moving to slow I'll run past her to the next track and she'll speed up. She makes tracking less tedious especially when the animal you're tracking like to change direction often. She does annoy me sometimes by getting under my feet and impedes my progress. I don't really have any problems with my dog spooking any animals. A scent hound is not much good though if your shot doesn't hit something vital. It'll stop tracking once the animal stops bleeding but you won't have that problem while your bow hunting. All in all I think having one is more pro than con. Thumbs up for the scent hound.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

knoxgek2 wrote:I have given the scent hound what I think is a fair trial. I have tried 20 times to have it track in different scenes. In 14 of those trials I have had to do the work. The dog is at level 10. I consider myself a serious player I bought the dog to help with finding animals so far it has been nothing but a joke. Comments?
Your dog is still in training. Below about level 20 they'll be a bit limited (although with the optional backpack, they make handy ammo bearers). You'll want to level him up as fast as you can by siccing him on every blood trail, even if it's a heart/lung trail that will end in three domes. The more you use him, the better he'll get. He'll never be 100%, just as you never will, but I can tell you that Sherlock has found some animals I never would have found by myself. I've had him flush wounded animals that had bedded down, providing a shot opportunity. He even found a polar bear that had fallen off a cliff and into the ocean, soaking his master in the process. :?

In the thick stuff, or if you're doing archery, or even if you just want to carry five more units of gear, the scent hound is more use than harm, most of the time, once he's at a decent level. Just make sure you park him out of sight before trying to call in an animal, especially roe or fox.
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

ClemD wrote:My dog is at level 29 and he is starting to do a good job. Sure he is not perfect but he is very helpful in tracking and he will get better. The only thing I do not like is when I fire a shot at an animal, he should not get up, he should stay down. Now, he gets up and sometimes runs in front of me. It prevented me a few times from shooting a second shot or shooting at another animal. He should wait my command to join me.
My chief beef with not only the scent hound, but the retriever as well--if you forget to park them before setting up your shot, they often wander right into the line of fire and pooch the shot--pun intended. :lol:
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

16heurdumat wrote:I hunt a few times with my scent hound and i think is useless too.

Glad to read this post and see that he could be very usefull with more skill.

Thanks mates, i will give him an other chance.
Just put him on every blood trail you see, not just those you think you could use some help with. He'll level up before you know it. In the meantime, throw a backpack on him and use him as an ammo bearer. It can mean the difference between being able to carry a blind/tree stand or not.

Return to “Kennel”