scent hounds are usless

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
knoxgek2

scent hounds are usless

Post by knoxgek2 »

I have given the scent hound what I think is a fair trial. I have tried 20 times to have it track in different scenes. In 14 of those trials I have had to do the work. The dog is at level 10. I consider myself a serious player I bought the dog to help with finding animals so far it has been nothing but a joke. Comments?
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: scent hounds are usless

Post by Ravenousfox »

Level 10 is nothing, Scent hound is excellent on tracking bears that spazz out.
Another good time for the Scent hound is on WRR snowy tracks you can't see 8:00am - 4:00pm but your Scent hound sure can.
Scent hounds are also good on Kangaroo as well since their tracks can get spaced out to 60m apart at times. :roll: :lol:
Well worth the purchase, sure it takes awhile to level up but I've had little to no issues with my Scent hound he is level 41.
Bandit (my dogs name) almost goes ahead of me everytime I track now.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
therisths
Hunter

Post by therisths »

Look for a new player the hound dog is usefull but for an ''old'' player its kinda useless IMO.For example, i will not spend 999ems buying a dog just to track my wounded animals, i tracked them in the past, i can track them now and i ll track them in the future, so i dont need a dog(i would may buy it just for company) but for a beginner is the best choice instead of leaving the wounded animal because they lack of tracking skill.
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

I am also an old hunter that loved to track animals. But after the scent hound arived he become by best huntingpal . Not a hunt withouh him ore his compadre the bird dog along.
They find the way trough diffycult hunts I earlyer had to sircle around for a long time to track. Cant miss then now.
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

I like him when attempting to track a wounded animal through a while bunch of his old tracks or if I'm a low level I will use the dog. He's not so much for functionality, he's really fun to have though
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

therisths wrote:Look for a new player the hound dog is usefull but for an ''old'' player its kinda useless IMO.For example, i will not spend 999ems buying a dog just to track my wounded animals, i tracked them in the past, i can track them now and i ll track them in the future, so i dont need a dog(i would may buy it just for company) but for a beginner is the best choice instead of leaving the wounded animal because they lack of tracking skill.
No matter how good your skill is, a well trained scent hound can & will help you. Even the most skilled tracker will be thrown off by HunterMate track misdirection, or an animal running straight into it's old tracks, or dying in an odd spot such as in thick brush, or an odd rock formation, or a ditch that makes it difficult to see. Any of those things can cost you significant time, or cause you to lose your harvest. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Roscoe has led me to animals that I otherwise would have missed, and he's certainly getting there faster now.

He's great to have in Multiplayer. If somebody is having a hard time locating a wounded animal, I can just bring Roscoe and find it. Found my son's silver-tipped brown bear earlier today, and he was ecstatic. The best part is that no matter what level my tracking is for the species, he is still solid. When the rocky mountain reserve is released, and I'm level 1 tracking, he'll still be able to run straight to my wounded elk, or grizzly, or bighorn.
knoxgek2 wrote:I have given the scent hound what I think is a fair trial. I have tried 20 times to have it track in different scenes. In 14 of those trials I have had to do the work. The dog is at level 10. I consider myself a serious player I bought the dog to help with finding animals so far it has been nothing but a joke. Comments?
Sorry, but 20 times is nowhere near a fair trial. Your scent hound is just a pup. Familiarize yourself with the level chart from the wiki here: http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Dogs
One of the most common misconceptions with dog leveling is that they get better at everything as they level up. That just isn't the case. Take "Tracking Focus" as an example. There are only 3 levels in Tracking Focus, with level 2 Focus reached at level 14 and level 3 Focus reached at level 42. He doesn't get better at Focus at each level from 1-50, but ONLY at those 2 intervals. At your dog's current level (10), he has only improved to level 2 in 1 Species Skill (Blood Tracking), and he is still level 1 in all 5 other Species Skills. Once you understand this chart, and know how your dog is supposed to progress, you'll notice that he gets better in those specific areas. I would recommend sticking with it and being patient, and it should be a rewarding experience.

At level 24, my scent hound is just now really starting to shine, and I'm just now starting to feel like the training time is paying off. He does a good job of staying heeled for the most part, and is tracking really well. The only time he gets thrown off is when there are tons of tracks nearby (i.e. wounding a boar at a busy feeder), but that too will improve with training. If you want to get him a lot of training, take a bow to Whiterime and puncture some bison & moose. Pro tip: give the animal a little time to bleed out before you put the hound on him, otherwise he'll just nip at it's heels & run it to the edge of the map.
RogerYar
Tracker

Post by RogerYar »

Hawkeye wrote:
therisths wrote:Look for a new player the hound dog is usefull but for an ''old'' player its kinda useless IMO.For example, i will not spend 999ems buying a dog just to track my wounded animals, i tracked them in the past, i can track them now and i ll track them in the future, so i dont need a dog(i would may buy it just for company) but for a beginner is the best choice instead of leaving the wounded animal because they lack of tracking skill.
No matter how good your skill is, a well trained scent hound can & will help you. Even the most skilled tracker will be thrown off by HunterMate track misdirection, or an animal running straight into it's old tracks, or dying in an odd spot such as in thick brush, or an odd rock formation, or a ditch that makes it difficult to see. Any of those things can cost you significant time, or cause you to lose your harvest. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Roscoe has led me to animals that I otherwise would have missed, and he's certainly getting there faster now.

He's great to have in Multiplayer. If somebody is having a hard time locating a wounded animal, I can just bring Roscoe and find it. Found my son's silver-tipped brown bear earlier today, and he was ecstatic. The best part is that no matter what level my tracking is for the species, he is still solid. When the rocky mountain reserve is released, and I'm level 1 tracking, he'll still be able to run straight to my wounded elk, or grizzly, or bighorn.
knoxgek2 wrote:I have given the scent hound what I think is a fair trial. I have tried 20 times to have it track in different scenes. In 14 of those trials I have had to do the work. The dog is at level 10. I consider myself a serious player I bought the dog to help with finding animals so far it has been nothing but a joke. Comments?
Sorry, but 20 times is nowhere near a fair trial. Your scent hound is just a pup. Familiarize yourself with the level chart from the wiki here: http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Dogs
One of the most common misconceptions with dog leveling is that they get better at everything as they level up. That just isn't the case. Take "Tracking Focus" as an example. There are only 3 levels in Tracking Focus, with level 2 Focus reached at level 14 and level 3 Focus reached at level 42. He doesn't get better at Focus at each level from 1-50, but ONLY at those 2 intervals. At your dog's current level (10), he has only improved to level 2 in 1 Species Skill (Blood Tracking), and he is still level 1 in all 5 other Species Skills. Once you understand this chart, and know how your dog is supposed to progress, you'll notice that he gets better in those specific areas. I would recommend sticking with it and being patient, and it should be a rewarding experience.

At level 24, my scent hound is just now really starting to shine, and I'm just now starting to feel like the training time is paying off. He does a good job of staying heeled for the most part, and is tracking really well. The only time he gets thrown off is when there are tons of tracks nearby (i.e. wounding a boar at a busy feeder), but that too will improve with training. If you want to get him a lot of training, take a bow to Whiterime and puncture some bison & moose. Pro tip: give the animal a little time to bleed out before you put the hound on him, otherwise he'll just nip at it's heels & run it to the edge of the map.
I absolutely agree
therisths
Hunter

Post by therisths »

For an old player hound dogs are overpriced. 999ems just to find your wounded animals, the ones that i used to track way before hound release? I was hunting with a friend who owned a dog, i was waiting beside the dead animal way before the dog find it. I know its the first lvls but i dont think that all old players have the patience to reach 50lvl just for the hound to act better and faster.
ClemD
Scout

Post by ClemD »

My dog is at level 29 and he is starting to do a good job. Sure he is not perfect but he is very helpful in tracking and he will get better. The only thing I do not like is when I fire a shot at an animal, he should not get up, he should stay down. Now, he gets up and sometimes runs in front of me. It prevented me a few times from shooting a second shot or shooting at another animal. He should wait my command to join me.

Rare: 153 – Non-Typical: 12
Competitions: 82 – Gold: 25, Silver: 29, Bronze: 23, Events: 5
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Moved to <Kennel>

Return to “Kennel”