Some question about Scent Hound

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Some question about Scent Hound

Post by HD_Artworks »

Hi.
I bought a male scent hound few days ago. He is level 6 now. But i see some strange behavior from him.
So, first i see when we walk together in the road, he stop most of the times for about 2 or 3 sec and he stare at a direction and then he moves again.
So, is this mean he heard or smell some animal or this is just a simple animation? I mean, should i care for this behavior or not?

And the second thing is, tonight i was going hunt some mule deer doe for a competition. But when i walking and he follows me, suddenly he start barking and running to a direction, he run with full speed for about 10 meters. I don't give him any order that moment! I see this behavior from him for the first time! :shock:

So, I like to know should i care to this type of moves from him or these behaviors might be a bug or simple animations?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english. :P
Season Stats
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Some question about Scent Hound

Post by caledonianblues »

Moved to <Kennel>
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

caledonianblues wrote:Moved to <Kennel>
Oops, sorry for that mistake!
And thanks for move the topic to right place. ;)
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nafti

Post by Nafti »

HOSSEIN.D wrote: So, first i see when we walk together in the road, he stop most of the times for about 2 or 3 sec and he stare at a direction and then he moves again.
So, is this mean he heard or smell some animal or this is just a simple animation? I mean, should i care for this behavior or not?
This I'm not entirely sure about. I think that it's just normal dog behavior. I have yet to spot an animal or hear one after my dog has done this, but that doesn't mean my dog didn't find something.
HOSSEIN.D wrote: And the second thing is, tonight i was going hunt some mule deer doe for a competition. But when i walking and he follows me, suddenly he start barking and running to a direction, he run with full speed for about 10 meters. I don't give him any order that moment! I see this behavior from him for the first time! :shock:
This is an intentional behavior. When your dog is low level, it presents a low level of discipline. If it smells or sees an animal, it may run after it and start barking. It doesn't happen often, and when it does, it usually scares the animal away. Your dog will stop doing this as his level goes up.
mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

What Nafti said. In real life I wouldn't even consider taking a dog on a hunt until he was at least trained not to bark and to follow basic commands reliably. My hound is level 12 and he's getting a little better, but still messes up occasionally. Patience my friend.

And BTW, your English is fine!
Code: Select all

TrackerGreg
Spotter

Post by TrackerGreg »

What mikeman1 said at the end - patience is the key. My scent hound is now level 22 and while he's now very solid at tracking both blood and footprints, he does on occasion lose his way and stops tracking.

What I like about scent hound is his 'alarm bark' if an animal comes real close to me. The other day on Whiterime Ridge he warned me that a Polar bear that I was tracking was coming close, but I made a mistake and went on a toilet break. Upon my return I saw I was run over by the bear my Roscoe was warning me about. :D
5th Tenet of the Hunter Ethics:
Behave in a way that will bring no dishonour to either the hunter, the hunted, or the environment.
(source: Boone & Crockett Club web site)

My Lifetime stats @UHCapps
Spoiler:
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Thank you guys.
I get my answers.
I teach my dog and try to level up him then i get him to hunt with me!
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Rozete
Tracker

Post by Rozete »

will scent hound pick up tracks and lead me to wounded animal if tracks are turned off in options?
Spoiler:
Rozete
Tracker

Post by Rozete »

shameless bump!
the thing is, sometimes i like to hunt hardcore - tracking off, spotting off, huntermate used to harvest only. finding animal (even after lung shots) is pita as one can imagine without those shiny domes, so having a companion who can track otherwise unseen tracks and lead towards wounded/dead animals would be quite benefical and add tremendous amounts of immersion to hunting (for me at least)
maybe someone could test it or devs themself could answer:
Rozete wrote:will scent hound pick up tracks and lead me to wounded animal if tracks are turned off in options?
thanks in advance
Spoiler:
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

I think your dog can track even if you disable track dome.
Your dog can see it well. :)
Season Stats
Spoiler:

Return to “Kennel”