Blue Tick coon hound

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Re: Blue Tick coon hound

Post by J_Birdman »

I don't know why the restriction to only tracking wounded animals, but you're basically buying a dog for failure if that's the case. And if they do end up spooking animals, it's compounding that failure ideology. It's like the comps where you have to shoot the lowest scoring animals, lololol. It just doesn't make much sense to me, kind of silly and unappealing, to say the least.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I'm kind of excited about them. I love hunting with hounds. Some of my favorite memories are running through the swamps at night with my neighbor, listening to our hounds (I had one and he had one) bawling on the trail of a coon. Kind of like in the book Where the Red Fern Grows.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
cajunman45
Outfitter

Post by cajunman45 »

Dan and Ann. I want a male and female to tree me a bear lol http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =631337149

ChrisMK72
Outfitter

Post by ChrisMK72 »

I ask myself if you will be able to hunt/track animals, which track you found, or only track a wounded animal, that you already found and shot at, when it was fleeing.

Sometimes i find a good track, and i want to track this animal, until i find it.
A hound would be very good for that, and i think it would be an interesting thing.

I hope it is not only for shot(wounded) animals.
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

I'm afraid it will be "wounded" only, or they wouldn't have specified it as wounded. That way it leaves room for then to release another dog to "track all animals" in the future. (just my unofficial opinion - sure hope I am wrong)

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

EndPin wrote:I'm afraid it will be "wounded" only, or they wouldn't have specified it as wounded. That way it leaves room for then to release another dog to "track all animals" in the future. (just my unofficial opinion - sure hope I am wrong)
IMO since they have a retriever only, a restricted (tracks shot animals only ) hound now, it would make sense to have a pointer.
So you are probably right, because they never do what makes sense to me!!!....... :P
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

Before any dogs were introduced I didn't like the idea of dogs being in the game. I don't remember who in here mentioned them having a learning curve like our own "spotting" & "tracking". When I read that, I warmed up to the idea a little. I still wasn't sold on them. When they were introduced & I saw a few videos of them I was sold.
I am not a pet person in real life because I don't have the patience to train one, & I don't like the idea of just having a pet - to have a pet, is good - in other words I don't want to have a dumb dog. I had a Beagle that I had trained for rabbit hunting. He did OK with it, but I was never completely satisfied with him. But he was a good dog & my family grew to love him. When he died I didn't rush out to get another dog though.
gas56 wrote:I would prefer a dog that is already trained
In real life if you want someone to train your dog for you, chances are you will have to pay them for that service. Maybe suggest to the dev's a em$ leveling system. As in "dog trained to level 5 = X em$.....dog trained to level 10 = X+ em$ & so on.
Again, I go back to my lack of patience. My retriever does not have a high skill level as a result of me not wanting to mess with him. But, there are times when I do like to bring him along to watch the way they operate. Once I get tired of messing with him, I just put him away. Odds are I will get the new dog as well. He won't level up rapidly, but it will be a fun addition to the game, at least for me.

I also remember having a complaint about when the dog is tracking & we are following along, does our tracking skills benefit from the dog's work. Much later, after stating that, I realized I really do care. My initial thoughts were "why should someone else get their tracking skills enhanced just by following their dog, when it took me & the rest of us many hours to level up?"....but why do I care what anyone else's skill level is? I don't.

As far as, if the dog should be allowed to track random tracks or just the wounded animals.... I don't enter many comps, but I can imagine people complaining about others finding tracks that show larger animals & continually winning comps because their dog was so instrumental in finding the winning animal..... well, go buy a dog. Or petition for that aspect be a non-factor.
If my tracking level is 20 & I am able to determine that this track is worth following, is that so different from taking the time to level up the dog to do the exact same thing? If I give the dog a signal to follow this set of tracks (this is speculation) I can't imagine that now the tracks are invisible to me. So if the young / untrained dog wanders off the tracks, or loses them, I am still able to point them back to the right tracks it still isn't far from the way it is now, except they've added a new wrinkle to the game to make it more interesting.
I'll probably buy the blasted thing, & I will enjoy training him, but it most likely won't be a part of my hunting very often at all.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
FHSdeer10
Spotter

Post by FHSdeer10 »

not happy, I was hoping there was an animal that helped you kill not find one dead. I wanted a dog that would help you find an animal so that you could shoot it and then blood trail him yourself.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

FHSdeer10 wrote:not happy, I was hoping there was an animal that helped you kill not find one dead. I wanted a dog that would help you find an animal so that you could shoot it and then blood trail him yourself.
The description of the dog is inconclusive. If it is really limited to wounded animals many players won't buy it, hence more reason for EW to make them track all animals. Which should also be easier to implement and less prone to bugs.

I would really like to hear the reasoning for limiting the dog to blood tracks, if that's the case.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

I would imagine the player will need to click the tracks of the animal the dog is tracking raising both the dogs and the players tracking skill at the same time. I would think you click a track and then command the dog to follow it. It may only lead you toward the next track and you need to ID the racks for it to look for the next one, over and over. Based on it's skill level would be how quickly / accurately the dog would do it.
I should be much simpler to have it only track wounded animals because the tracks have a wounded tag added to them.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “Kennel”