Taking down the Queen with Chuck, Moon, and JK.....

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
JeeF

Re: Taking down the Queen with Chuck, Moon, and JK.....

Post by JeeF »

Well, I decided to take her down tonight.

I'd get myself prepared, or so I thought. I had 40 rounds for my .700 that I spent hours collecting ammo for, and a couple dozen rounds for my .308.
That was all I could carry, even after dropping my rangefinder and hat. But I was sure it would be enough.

Found a nice open field with many big rocks, which is what I normally choose for hunting T-Rexes. I laid the bait and waited.

Thing is... after 1 long hour of waiting for perfect shots, fooling her around the rocks and shooting her some more right in the center of the chest, I ran out of bullets. I couldn't believe! 40 .700 shots in the chest, most of them head-on and a few sideways getting both lungs and nothing. I was giving her plenty of time to bleed off but after a couple of minutes she would stop bleeding and I'd need to shoot some more. After I fired all my last .308 shots and found myself totally out of ammo, I waited a moment for her to step away and checked her blood level. The settlermate read: bleeding lungs/heart, 2-18% blood left.

Then I heard the heavy breathing of another T-Rex. It sounded south of me, and directly north of me, about 800m, I had Cape Trihorn. I thought "If I can make it there, I can maybe find some 700 ammo or 308 ammo and finish her off.

So I waited for her to move a bit south and sprinted my ass towards the forest. I'd put as many bushes, trees and rocks between me and her to slow her down.

When I thought I would make it, I heard a third T-Rex, a bit East of Cape Trihorn. There was a hill between me and him, so I couldn't gauge the distance very well. But it was closer than I thought and I had no choice to begin with, I couldn't stop running cos the Queen was coming at me. The third T-Rex saw me and charged.

I made into one of the concrete housings by the skin of my teeth. I saw the shadow of the Queen's jaw on top of my head by the time I made thru the door, with that distinctive sound of when you're about to get chewed.

YES! I MADE IT!

Then it hit me... I had no ammo what so ever and settlermate only had bad news to give me: the two ammo containers were down the other side and the 3 rexes were between me and it.

love's sake... After all that fight, so much ammo wasted, I'm going to start to death on top of this concrete building with 3 rexes laughing at my face....

NO!

I decided it's all or nothing, I've nothing to lose anyways, I need to make something happen.
So I tossed all the 7 rocks I had with me 90º to my right, waited for the right opportunity and crawled my way towards the closest ammo container, waiting to be greeted with .50 cal sniper and 999 bullets.

But no... not quite. The only thing useful in that chest was a .44 handgun and 4 bullets. FOUR! BULLETS!

Before I could think of making my way to the second ammo container, she was on top of me already.
I had no time, she was coming and I didn't want to die like that. So I aimed at her chest and fired those 4 shots as fast as I could.

By the time I was firing the last shot she was close enough so I could smell her bad breath and my hopes were pretty much gone, but to my great surprise she collapsed on top of me about 2 seconds after the fourth shot. I was empty again, but that ****** was dead!

I went around her to admire my trophy and then I could see the other two rexes making their way towards the shots. They couldn't see me, and at my feet I saw the ammo container dropped by the Queen. I did a quick inspect and found a compound crossbow and 17 bolts for it. I already had 14 bolts I had found previously on another box when I was looking for more ammo, between where the fight started and Cape Trihorn. These will come in handy, I thought.

Fighting those 2 rexes was a walk in the park. They were relatively small, about 5.7 tons... and much MUCH dumber than the Queen I just fought. I made them walk in circles and after a short while they were both dead. One collapsed just beside the Queen, another tried to flee on low health but I managed to land a killing shot about 100m away from the other 2 corpses.

Then my game crashed....

No, just kidding XD

I went ahead and inspected the Queen, thinking that I'd done at least 30 heart shots, based on my experience with other rexes.
But to my great surprise, I was quite disappointed when I saw the autopsy.

Either the organs stay slightly in a different place in the Queen or her armor is just too strong for the 700 and so the 50 cal sniper is needed.
The thing that got my attention was shots like 6x left foreleg, 2x right hind leg, 1x left hind leg. I never shot anywhere near the legs. 75% frontal shots in center chest, 25% sideway shots center chest, in both cases around the arm. I know where the heart is on a T-Rex, have over 100 killed.

The spine shots I can understand, since many shots were kinda upwards and I imagine the bullet keeps travelling inside her body, ending up hitting the spine.
But the leg shots? That makes no sense to me. Not sure if that ended up hurting my trophy integrity, but I'm sure it didn't help.

The coolest part of the fight came when I was taking the trophy shot. An Utah Raptor came to check it out and even posed for the shot. So instead of trying to get all 3 rexes in the same frame, I tried to get the Raptor instead. Later on took me a single bolt in the head to kill it. Quite nice color as well.

For my next attempt on the Queen I'd love to have the .50 cal Sniper.
I only had it once, after loot-cycling Sysiphys Research Station for HOURS. But then after quitting the game, next time I loaded it up it was gone, deleted from my inventory, except for the ammo. Quite cruel. This was back when the inventory was constantly getting wrecked when quitting the game, seems like the devs fixed it now. But I don't have the patience to farm for it again like that, and I'm only level 34 so I can't buy it neither... =/

Good memories, the one and only day I roamed Primal Eden with a 50 cal sniper in my hands =/

To end the session, I took a look at the horizon, and it wasn't bad at all =)
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Taking down the Queen with Chuck, Moon, and JK.....

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

NICE!! Great account of the kill, too. And then joined by TWO more Rex's? Man o man, that was an INTENSE first time for you, JeeF. I told you she was a tough one haha, but it took you 91 shots? Holy god! I didn't wanna spoil anything for you in my post, but since you finally got her down I will tell you that by quality shots I meant ONLY broadside and face on, anything that will allow you to concentrate on her heart/lung area only, with heavy emphasis on the heart. It takes us normally 13-14 heart shots to bring her down, and as a tip try to stick her a few times with arrows to the heart/lungs. The bleed damage (DOT) REALLY helps.
I am very glad all worked out for you, you got the yourself a nice War Scarred Rex and of course the Queen herself fell to your feet. Stoked for you, dude. Very nice job.
We had a little session as well last night. Myself, Tony, Moon, and Fletchette. While we didn't go after the Queen, we did get into some hairy situations, such as when we all first spawned, Moon and I met up since Tony and Fletchette spawned furthers way from us but close to each other. Moon and I squared off with two T-Rex almost right off the bat, while Tony and Fletchette ran into one as well along with some Utahs. I made a stupid rookie mistake haha, and one of the Rex promptly chomped me lol. I went for a second shot with my .700 when it was almost right on top of me, knowing full well the reload animation would do me in. Dumb move LOL. Oh well. Fletchette was killed by Utahs (I think) and Tony was hiding in a tree from the Rex, taking shots as they presented themselves. And he pulled it off and ended up killing that Rex that was on them! Haha
Nowhere near as exciting as your experience was JeeF, but it's these adrenaline pumping experiences that make Primal awesome. You really should try MP sometime bud. Leave me a message if you ever wanna try with real hunters, not hackers or trolls.
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

eh, got her yesterday :) 217 hits and approx. 1h to kill that beast :) combination of arrows, slugs and .308. I killed her at cape trihorn, and the only thing I was afraid was she will die and will slide down to the sea :D
p.s. then I watched Jurassic world and I noticed mr. Grady is using .45-70. maybe we could get one to the game? :D
Flanker305
Trophy Hunter

Post by Flanker305 »

JeeF wrote:Well, I decided to take her down tonight....
To end the session, I took a look at the horizon, and it wasn't bad at all =)
Awesome story!
JeeF

Post by JeeF »

My girlfriend started playing Primal with me last night.

We met, I gave her a weapon and some bullets and then we hear a roar. It was the war-scarred t-rex.

I couldn't believe it. I hunt that ******* for weeks and only found one, and yet this is the first dino she sees.

We got it, got two glands and got two primals, one each. Mine took 77 shots, hers 91.

So her first 3 dinos were:

1. War-scarred t-rex
2. Primal Queen
3. Primal Queen

How lucky is that?

The night continued and we ended up with about 20 triceratops, 2 qualtz, 8 utahs, 4 raptors and 5 rexes in the bag. Not a bad start.

On her very first day, she one-shotted 3 triceratops with the 12 gauge, straight in the heart. She's got talent! XD
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

JeeF wrote:The night continued and we ended up
And this was the moment I really hoped the dino talk would finally end. :P
Image Image Image
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
JeeF wrote:The night continued and we ended up
And this was the moment I really hoped the dino talk would finally end. :P
You dirty old goat !!! :lol:
Personal Bests...

Return to “theHunter: Primal”