How to defend yourself against wild hog without a firearm?

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
FutureHunter

How to defend yourself against wild hog without a firearm?

Post by FutureHunter »

Hi everyone,
I'm not a hunter but I have weird hobby, I love to go alone in the woods at night.
Forest where I wanna go next is full of hogs so I want to be prepared.
I'm still not a hunter and I don't have a firearm. I only have 2 pepper sprays, 1 pepper gel (small) and 1 spray (medium size) , second one is made for multiple attackers.
So i'm curious if pepper spray can be enough to save me from a hog? Some people told me that I should get a sword, some people said baseball bat... So I don't know what is the best.
Luckily I've never had a wild hog encounter so i'm asking you for an advice.
nachthexe
Hunter

Re: How to defend yourself against wild hog without a firearm?

Post by nachthexe »

Simple, don't go there. The obvious aside:

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/ques ... boar/10012
Code: Select all
FutureHunter

Post by FutureHunter »

nachthexe wrote:Simple, don't go there. The obvious aside:

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/ques ... boar/10012
I've already checked that. It describes how attack looks like.
I'm just curious if a pepper spray could deter a beast or I need something stronger?
If there is absolutely nothing that I can do except using firearms or climbing on a tree I will not go there till I become hunter (which will be very soon I hope).
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

same as most animals they wont attack you unless provoked, starving or startled think the only exception are polar bears, and a few of the big cats in india and africa and hippos that are just straight up angry and territorial.

basically when walking dont sneak about be loud and be bold give them a chance to hear and see you early and they-ll probably move off. if you do do come across one try and get trees between you and it and leave the area. and never cut off there obvious escape or get between them and young. keep dogs on a lead. Anything bar a heavy high calibre bullet wont stop an angry boar one its inside your area. the big males are twice the weight of a man and build solid. and they have sharp tusks that they thrash up and down at thigh height and its usually the main artery down the inside of the leg thats gonna cause you an issue, you get that nicked and its curtains inside a minute mate.

sounds daft but get a bear bell and put in on your belt or pack.
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

find a climbable tree...
i have always wondered if bear spray would work against hogs, ofcourse if your spraying into a head wind it wont matter much.
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Hogs are made to sound a lot more aggressive then they are. As long as you don't corner them or get right in on a sow with piglets your fine. Along with making some noise, walk with the wind. That way your scent gets carried to them long before you get there and they will clear out.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
willybepop
Hunter

Post by willybepop »

I agree with L3M182. Don't be quiet. I hunt all the time in a swampy area. I've encountered hogs when I'm trying to sneak into my stand, however I've never encountered a hog when I'm returning, mostly because I'm louder then. Of course, I don't go hunting unless I've got my Glock 40 10mm with me just in case I accidentally ****** a hog.
FutureHunter

Post by FutureHunter »

hunterPRO1 wrote:find a climbable tree...
i have always wondered if bear spray would work against hogs, ofcourse if your spraying into a head wind it wont matter much.
I don't have a bear spray but i have a pepper spray made for humans meant for multiple attackers (medium size, not small like other sprays). It sprays at up to 12 feet (4M) away.
I'm just curious if this would work on a pig because animals are more sensitive than humans, so spraying them in the snot and eyes would mess them up... in that case pig should just stop charging at you and start squealing... or I am wrong?
Last edited by caledonianblues on October 9th, 2017, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed attempt to circumvent profanity filter
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Ive seen the police trying to spray at a charging wild boar during piglet time in Berlin directly at the Tegeler Forest and Tegeler lake were i grew up. .. lets say it didnt end well for them. The boars would sometimes find their way in our housing area during this time and run rampage and go nuts. The only thing that helped there was calling the old forest ranger from the other side of the bridge in the forest with his big ass rifle :lol:
They pretty much shut down the whole area and he went on shooting the pigs.
Guy was a total zero fu**s given bad ass :D i remeber how i found this really exciting as a kid.
Ive also encountered hordes of pigs alone or with friends and the only option was climb on a car or tree near u. I wouldnt recomment going out there especially in the dark , or at least not unprepared - i guess all the tips here before come from experienced hunter so u should consider all of them.
Those pigs are savages.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Are you talking bout wild boars or feral hog? That makes a difference about how to go about it. From what I've heard wild or Russian boars are much more aggressive than feral hogs.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “General Off Topics”