How to defend yourself against wild hog without a firearm?

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
HunterVK
Scout

Re: How to defend yourself against wild hog without a firearm?

Post by HunterVK »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Are you talking bout wild boars or feral hog? That makes a difference about how to go about it. From what I've heard wild or Russian boars are much more aggressive than feral hogs.
U mean European Wild boar?? ;)
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

HunterVK wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Are you talking bout wild boars or feral hog? That makes a difference about how to go about it. From what I've heard wild or Russian boars are much more aggressive than feral hogs.
U mean Eurasian wild pig?? ;)
Personal Bests...
HunterVK
Scout

Post by HunterVK »

Fletchette wrote:
HunterVK wrote:
That's also correct.
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

FutureHunter wrote:
hunterPRO1 wrote:find a climbable tree...
i have always wondered if bear spray would work against hogs, ofcourse if your spraying into a head wind it wont matter much.
I don't have a bear spray but i have a pepper spray made for humans meant for multiple attackers (medium size, not small like other sprays). It sprays at up to 12 feet (4M) away.
I'm just curious if this would work on a pig because animals are more sensitive than humans, so spraying them in the snot and eyes would mess them up... in that case pig should just stop charging at you and start squealing... or I am wrong?
the day a hog is more sensitive than a human will be the same day that they learn to fly.... hogs are THE toughest animal i have ever hunted, and are actually why i switched from a 223 to a 270 for my main rifle, the bigger boars kept just takin the bullets and laughing at me!
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
FutureHunter

Post by FutureHunter »

hunterPRO1 wrote:
FutureHunter wrote:
hunterPRO1 wrote:find a climbable tree...
i have always wondered if bear spray would work against hogs, ofcourse if your spraying into a head wind it wont matter much.
I don't have a bear spray but i have a pepper spray made for humans meant for multiple attackers (medium size, not small like other sprays). It sprays at up to 12 feet (4M) away.
I'm just curious if this would work on a pig because animals are more sensitive than humans, so spraying them in the snot and eyes would mess them up... in that case pig should just stop charging at you and start squealing... or I am wrong?
the day a hog is more sensitive than a human will be the same day that they learn to fly.... hogs are THE toughest animal i have ever hunted, and are actually why i switched from a 223 to a 270 for my main rifle, the bigger boars kept just takin the bullets and laughing at me!
I was talking about their flair. Their snout and eyes are much more sensitive than human eyes and noses.
For instance if you shoot a bear with Tokarev T-33 you'll just make him mad. But... if you use a bear spray, he'll fall back immediately.
Last edited by FutureHunter on October 9th, 2017, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

What about one of those air horns? The ones you can find in the "marine" section. I would think that a loud blast with one of those would scare them away.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

HunterVK wrote:
Fletchette wrote:
HunterVK wrote:
That's also correct.
Yeah yeah whatever floats your boat :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
FutureHunter

Post by FutureHunter »

Violator31 wrote:What about one of those air horns? The ones you can find in the "marine" section. I would think that a loud blast with one of those would scare them away.
I was thinking about that too, but I'm kinda worried that it would **** them off

Return to “General Off Topics”