bow hunting in the UK

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
L3M182
Outfitter

bow hunting in the UK

Post by L3M182 »

anyone else hearing rumblings of a legislation change in the UK in regards to bow hunting?, ive read and seen it brought up allot latley in the shooting sports magazines i read and the websites i use for my other shooting gear seem to be expanding the archery range beyond back garden family fun kits. also not far from where i live a massive archery warehouse just opened and they have a section full of mechanical broadheads and tree-stand harnesses. not the kind of stuff you need for punching holes in foam.

anyone know or heard anything or is this all just popping up because im looking for it now?. ive been waiting a long time for it.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: bow hunting in the UK

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I don't know about the U.K. specifically, but I know there was a committee formed to address legalizing bowhunting in Europe where it isn't allowed. A guy that I buy my arrow building supplies from was on it, but he hasn't told me anything.

I'm interested to see how it runs out. Just out of curiosity, how do people feel about bowhunting there? I received a very harsh pm a while back from someone in Germany I believe about what a horrendous person I was for bowhunting. Are most people there like that or are they in favor of it? I hope it is legalized. You will absolutely love it :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
lowby
Outfitter

Post by lowby »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Just out of curiosity, how do people feel about bowhunting there? I received a very harsh pm a while back from someone in Germany I believe about what a horrendous person I was for bowhunting. Are most people there like that or are they in favor of it? I hope it is legalized. You will absolutely love it :)
I live in Sweden dont hunt irl but have friends that do I dont see any wrong in hunting with a bow. My feeling is its just like a rifle as long as u know how to aim with it to hit the animals in the correct spots then go for it but then again there will always be people that scream and shout how the animal will suffer and then they go buy meat from the store that comes from farms that treat the animals in a way I would not treat my worse enemy.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

L3M182 wrote:anyone else hearing rumblings of a legislation change in the UK in regards to bow hunting?, ive read and seen it brought up allot latley in the shooting sports magazines i read and the websites i use for my other shooting gear seem to be expanding the archery range beyond back garden family fun kits. also not far from where i live a massive archery warehouse just opened and they have a section full of mechanical broadheads and tree-stand harnesses. not the kind of stuff you need for punching holes in foam.

anyone know or heard anything or is this all just popping up because im looking for it now?. ive been waiting a long time for it.

Weird one really very mixed bag from what I've read and talked about. Allot of non hunters see it as more fairchase than a rifle and kinda part of our heritage. the one that surprised me is allot of hunters think it's gona just gona get a load of have a go heros in the woods hurting what reputation British hunting has and rather it stay banned. Is that just some daft rivalry think like what skateboarders and BMXers have doth doing the same thing in the same place just in a different way
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

I used to hunt fox in Ireland as a kid on my pony wih the local hunts, there was the Meath Hunt who were fox, The Figals for Hares and the Ward Union for Deer. The hounds were of a smaller size for the harriers but about the same for fox and deer. God help you if you got ahead of the Master or one of his whips..... even if my mount was pulling my arms off.
I think that hunting with a bow is certainly not worse than being torn apart by 40 hounds...... fair to say the deer were used to run and the boxed back up for another day, a healthy fox would never be caught, mostly old, sick or young inexperianced animals and hare are a plauge in Ireland anyway.I will never forget being "Blooded" by the Master of hounds when you were there for your first kill, you were then part of the tradition of it all. Quite something for an 7yr old....

Still I see no chance of Bow hunting being made legal if Labour get into goverment.
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

AmbushPredator
Scout

Post by AmbushPredator »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I don't know about the U.K. specifically, but I know there was a committee formed to address legalizing bowhunting in Europe where it isn't allowed. A guy that I buy my arrow building supplies from was on it, but he hasn't told me anything.

I'm interested to see how it runs out. Just out of curiosity, how do people feel about bowhunting there? I received a very harsh pm a while back from someone in Germany I believe about what a horrendous person I was for bowhunting. Are most people there like that or are they in favor of it? I hope it is legalized. You will absolutely love it :)
There's a big campaign underway to license air rifle, lead by the RSPCA and other animal rights organisations (because of irresponsible airgunners targetting pets) so I can only imagine they'd be against any expansion of bowhunting for the same reason.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

AmbushPredator wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:I don't know about the U.K. specifically, but I know there was a committee formed to address legalizing bowhunting in Europe where it isn't allowed. A guy that I buy my arrow building supplies from was on it, but he hasn't told me anything.

There's a big campaign underway to license air rifle, lead by the RSPCA and other animal rights organisations (because of irresponsible airgunners targetting pets) so I can only imagine they'd be against any expansion of bowhunting for the same reason.
well thats why i feel like the whole firearms licencing and hunting laws should get a rework. its well outdated and silly in places. for a responsible hunter its a long winded and extremely expensive process to get everything required to hunt in the uk with powder burning rifles and shotguns. with air-rifles anything over 12ft/ibs requires a firearms ticket and must follow all the safety and storage rules or a.308. however anything below 12ft/ibs is fine and a local shop that sells 2nd hand guitars and trade in xbox games will sell cheap chinese rifles and 80ib crossbow pistols to teenagers for £40 a pop in a built up urban area and its those bolts and cheap pellets that find the way into vets xrays and police confiscation rooms and gets filed as a fire arms offence.

Return to “General Off Topics”