Rifles | .45-70 Government Lever Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
9%
1 - Very poor
1%
2 - Poor
0%
3 - Average
4%
4 - Good
21%
5 - Excellent
65%

Total votes: 210
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Rifles | .45-70 Government Lever Action Rifle

Post by caledonianblues »

.45-70 Government Lever Action Rifle
For the true big game hunter. This monster made of stainless steel and laminated grey black wood has enough stopping power to drop any beast in their tracks, no matter what size it is. It is not the weapon of choice for the long range shooter but what it lacks in range it makes up for in brute force.

See it here in the store.

See the premium version here in the store.

Please leave your comments, reviews and media relating to this item below. As this is a weapon, additional information relating to weapon penetration would be extremely useful. Screenshots and YouTube videos are welcome.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: Rifles | .45-70 Government Lever Action Rifle

Post by Ravenousfox »

Rated: Average.
The 45-70 is a powerhouse.
If you want to kill anything that the .45-70 is permitted for with aiming on any part of the animal then this is the gun for you. :lol: (not Moose and Bison you will have to aim at least in the chest area)
Otherwise if you want a challenge weapon look elsewhere.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I voted good. I've only used the regular one so far, and like Ravenousfox stated, it pretty much kills whatever it hits and is forgiving in terms of shot placement. It looks great and is compatible with a number of good scopes.
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

I gave excellent. For what it is designed for it can definitely do the job. 2 intestine shots on a moose and it is down. No guns are really a challenge so I would say this is prefect! Bought mine a little after release of WRR and have amassed nearly 500 kills with it. WRR is this guns home! You can hunt moose and especially bison with ease. And for the low cost, this is excellent!
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

The barrels of these guns were taken from triple-A batteries originally deployed throughout the Aleutians in WWII. They used to bring down Kamikazes with them, but they found they also work good for bison so....
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

nosnerb wrote:No guns are really a challenge so I would say this is prefect!
I think a lot of people will disagree with you there... 30-30 Lever Action Rifle and .308 "Rival" Handgun are challenging because you need good shot placement to take down most permitted species. (also poor penetration)
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Bosloe
Hunter

Post by Bosloe »

Vote: Average (only own the standard variant)

Pros: Great stopping power, if you hit most things will die from one shot. Good range of scopes available for it.
Cons: Limited use due to calibre of the round as only fit for the larger / hardier species in game.

Ok this is where I contradict my own vote. I really do like this rifle, it has fantastic stopping power and sill very strong at long range as well. The reason I only give it an average overall though is due to two main reasons. One it lacks the need for accuracy, if just after blind shot killing; this beast will normally do it with most animals going down after one shot irrespective of accuracy, this in my opinion negates the need to use it with patience and pick shots carefully. Secondly as mentioned above it is only applicable for the larger species which it is very good for don't get me wrong but it does not have the cross functional ability of the crossbows or slightly smaller calibre rifles which sit within a very close bracket for stopping power such as the .300.
Six Shooter Tournament - caledonianblues 24th hosted competition March 2016 - Trophy's Thank Theodore Stupid Cupid Buffalo Bill
Twitch - Bosloe077 YouTube - Bosloe 077 Hunter Statistics
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

6-It's just another gun
should be an option for your poll
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

Exanimis wrote:6-It's just another gun
should be an option for your poll
I see it exact opposite. We see the 300, 7mm, 9.3x62, 8x57, yada yada yada... all perform quite similar with little variation.
This gun is unique in its powerfulness. I personally LOVE it
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

Ravenousfox wrote:
nosnerb wrote:No guns are really a challenge so I would say this is prefect!
I think a lot of people will disagree with you there... 30-30 Lever Action Rifle and .308 "Rival" Handgun are challenging because you need good shot placement to take down most permitted species. (also poor penetration)
Those guns i feel dont take any skill still becasue bullet placement is cake. Proned with breath hold it is nearly impossible to miss even at low levels. You know your capabilities, stay inside of them and it is really not that hard. (thats just my opinion, in your eyes its wrong, but perception is everything in debates like this)

Return to “Store Item Reviews”